Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 minutes ago, taliaj said:

Is anyone else waiting on Boise at all? I've asked this already, but it's not as popular as some of the other schools so I don't know if there's anyone else in here who would post about fiction or even know about Gradcafe at all (besides one other person I've talked to on here). Last year I think people heard back in February, so I feel like I'm going crayz. The waiting is KILLING me, and I know at least I'm not alone in that, regardless of school!

Are you poetry or fiction? Draft has in the 2024 spreadsheet that people in poetry got interviews for Boise State University in Jan and got accepted/waitlisted first week of Feb. But no word on fiction if that’s what you are looking for. I’d imagine they would have released around the same time. If you are talking about Boise State, maybe reach out to them since so much time has passed.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said:

Are you poetry or fiction? Draft has in the 2024 spreadsheet that people in poetry got interviews for Boise State University in Jan and got accepted/waitlisted first week of Feb. But no word on fiction if that’s what you are looking for. I’d imagine they would have released around the same time. If you are talking about Boise State, maybe reach out to them since so much time has passed.

It was fiction! I wanted to see if others had heard from fiction before I get too nervous lol. I was thinking about reaching out, I just don't know if that hurts my chances at all. Thank you for replying, and I hope you get a good call from Iowa today!

Posted
Just now, jadedoptimist said:

my brain is going boing boing

This is just the state I have been in post Iowa fiction calls starting to roll out. I feel like my heart just lives in my throat now

Posted
5 minutes ago, taliaj said:

It was fiction! I wanted to see if others had heard from fiction before I get too nervous lol. I was thinking about reaching out, I just don't know if that hurts my chances at all. Thank you for replying, and I hope you get a good call from Iowa today!

At this point for fiction I’d email them! It’s been a month pretty much since poetry decisions came out so they should be more than understanding.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

This is just the state I have been in post Iowa fiction calls starting to roll out. I feel like my heart just lives in my throat now

lol yes. My heart has set up shop and installed carpet in my throat. Fr. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said:

At this point for fiction I’d email them! It’s been a month pretty much since poetry decisions came out so they should be more than understanding.

Thank you! I honestly have very low hopes but part of me is just clinging to this spark of "maybe" and I need closure lol. Once I find out one way or another I can get on with my life. It's the only program I applied to as I can't relocate at present. But what's meant to be will be!

Posted
15 minutes ago, taliaj said:

Thank you! I honestly have very low hopes but part of me is just clinging to this spark of "maybe" and I need closure lol. Once I find out one way or another I can get on with my life. It's the only program I applied to as I can't relocate at present. But what's meant to be will be!

I hope you hear back with good news! Wishing you the best right now. And worst case, you can always try again next year or look into low res programs 

Posted
Oh, don't let it kill you, baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let 'em kill you, baby, don't let 'em get to you
I'll be your bleedin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go too far, don't let it get to you
Yeah, yeah (yeah, yeah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part
Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part
Posted
17 minutes ago, Scribe said:
Oh, don't let it kill you, baby, don't let it get to you
Don't let 'em kill you, baby, don't let 'em get to you
I'll be your bleedin' heart, I'll be your cryin' fool
Don't let this go too far, don't let it get to you
Yeah, yeah (yeah, yeah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part
Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part

Fun fact: this is about the time Tom Petty was NOT performing/on stage

Posted
46 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

So, now that Iowa has moved onto poetry, can the rest of us who have heard crickets cross it off our list for fiction?

I'm wondering the same. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I'm wondering the same. 

I hope not. I’m oscillating between not wanting to be rejected across the board and knowing I have another year before a chance of an A vs. wanting to just know the outcome for this year. And I’m traveling this week so if Iowa snail mails us rejections soon, I won’t get mine until after I’m back 😵‍💫

Posted
29 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I hope not. I’m oscillating between not wanting to be rejected across the board and knowing I have another year before a chance of an A vs. wanting to just know the outcome for this year. And I’m traveling this week so if Iowa snail mails us rejections soon, I won’t get mine until after I’m back 😵‍💫

If rejections go out, I'm sure you'll know. If your mail is being looked after, ask if your mail picker upper sees something from the cornfields. 

Posted
2 hours ago, saramsarang said:

So, now that Iowa has moved onto poetry, can the rest of us who have heard crickets cross it off our list for fiction?

It's either a rejection or, if you're really, really fortunate, a waitlist. Iowa emails/snail mails both. We'll know for sure later this month. 

Posted

You know what? I don't even want to go to Iowa anymore.

I can't stick with it. There's no gag here. 

Posted (edited)

Is Michener the only place that offers a stipend without asking you to be a TA or do additional fellowships?

Edited by spluots
Posted
8 minutes ago, spluots said:

Is Michener the only place that offers a stipend without asking you to be a TA or do additional fellowships?

Yes. But there are programs who distribute funding unequally and some of those may give an offer of an enhanced package which includes a stipend unattached to educational duties. 

Posted

Happy Sunday everyone. I have multiple essays and lesson plans to write for tomorrow, but thanks to Iowa, my mind is still going BOING BOING. 

Wrt Michener, one of my recommenders went there and is now a respected professor at an Ivy League, so even though they don't offer teaching experience the name works to get you going.

Posted

For those with waitlist/acceptances at THE Ohio State or Pitt, I'm going to visit Mon and Tues. If you're going, hit it up! And if you're not able to go, DM me if you have questions you want answered while I'm there and I will tirelessly secure you answers (also this will prevent me from standing around just nodding my head while I'm there, so consider it a favor to me lol)

Posted
12 minutes ago, DanielNiver said:

For those with waitlist/acceptances at THE Ohio State or Pitt, I'm going to visit Mon and Tues. If you're going, hit it up! And if you're not able to go, DM me if you have questions you want answered while I'm there and I will tirelessly secure you answers (also this will prevent me from standing around just nodding my head while I'm there, so consider it a favor to me lol)

I don't know about the relative prestige / program design of OSU vs Pitt for nonfic, but Pittsburgh is infinitely cooler than Columbus 😉 haha

Posted
48 minutes ago, DanielNiver said:

For those with waitlist/acceptances at THE Ohio State or Pitt, I'm going to visit Mon and Tues. If you're going, hit it up! And if you're not able to go, DM me if you have questions you want answered while I'm there and I will tirelessly secure you answers (also this will prevent me from standing around just nodding my head while I'm there, so consider it a favor to me lol)

Daniel you’re a sweet angel. I hope you enjoy your visits! I’m wondering about Pitts waitlist and how long or short it is. About the program, mostly curious about the teaching requirements and load- is there an opportunity to teach creative writing or is it just comp. Also curious about cross-genre work and how faculty may support this. I know a lot of faculty at Pitt are notorious for a more journalistic style, I’m wondering more for the lyrical essayist in me if poetry-prose hybrid courses or experimentation is encouraged & if so, how!!

hope you have a great visit! OSU was my dream program, I hope you get to meet Elissa. (I’ll be sobbing in my room )

Posted
36 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

I don't know about the relative prestige / program design of OSU vs Pitt for nonfic, but Pittsburgh is infinitely cooler than Columbus 😉 haha

😂😂😂 Is it really?? I'm from a crazy small town, so they both just seem like nebulous points of civilization.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use