2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

17 minutes ago, Mxxyr said:

Thank you so much I really can't even fathom this. Much much love to you all ❤️ 

Congrats!! So great to see all your acceptances!🥳

Did you get any sense in the call if they’re just starting to notify poets or where they are in letting the 6 know?

I'm so excited for you, @Mxxyr! This is the action/drama/intrigue I have been craving with  MFA applications. You have a tough choice to make choosing between these elite programs, and I find myself almost thankful I don't have to be in such a conundrum (jk, I wish). Whichever you choose will make at least two other people absurdly happy (moving from the waitlist). Are you leaning towards any program yet or is it too early and too overwhelming? 

1 minute ago, Chex said:

I'm so excited for you, @Mxxyr! This is the action/drama/intrigue I have been craving with  MFA applications. You have a tough choice to make choosing between these elite programs, and I find myself almost thankful I don't have to be in such a conundrum (jk, I wish). Whichever you choose will make at least two other people absurdly happy (moving from the waitlist). Are you leaning towards any program yet or is it too early and too overwhelming? 

Thank you! That is very sweet. I couldn't even imagine being in this position. Just 2 weeks ago I was reeling from my JHU and BU rejections and a soft rejection from UMASS-Amherst (my original first, second, and third choices!!). 

Needless to say I am absolutely overwhelmed, and after the last year of my life it feels surreal to have this kind of 'happy dilemma." 

I would rank NYU lower than the other three in terms of whether or not I can attend. I want to sit in on a class with Claudia Rankine to see what it is like, and I have notified them of my other two offers to see if they can offer me more than half tuition remission. But, I can barely survive in NYC (I live in Brooklyn) on a full salary job. At this point, NYU is looking a little ludicrous as an option. 

So, right now, it's between UMich, Brown, and Iowa.

Because I just heard from Brown today, my brain is lagging behind in processing the position I'm in right now, so I'm gonna go to happy hour me thinks! 

But if I'm going to be completely honest. . . each of these packages are incredible, and each of these programs has its incredible pros and its not so incredible cons. My fingers are trembling as I even try to update my personal spreadsheet, but I have only seen the funding package in full for UMich and Iowa. Brown will come in a couple of days and I'll have all the info I need to really see what's feasible for me. I don't have a lot of savings and I have 2 cats, so any decision I make I feel is a huge one. I've lived in the Northeast my whole life, and my family is still here. So, I can't just yet declare there is one offer among the 3 that I'd absolutely accept yet. And also, everyone in my life has a different opinion of where I should go, so that never helps aha. 

Currently, as of right now, I am just completely filled with awe and gratitude to be in this position at all. 

2 minutes ago, Mxxyr said:

Thank you! That is very sweet. I couldn't even imagine being in this position. Just 2 weeks ago I was reeling from my JHU and BU rejections and a soft rejection from UMASS-Amherst (my original first, second, and third choices!!). 

Needless to say I am absolutely overwhelmed, and after the last year of my life it feels surreal to have this kind of 'happy dilemma." 

I would rank NYU lower than the other three in terms of whether or not I can attend. I want to sit in on a class with Claudia Rankine to see what it is like, and I have notified them of my other two offers to see if they can offer me more than half tuition remission. But, I can barely survive in NYC (I live in Brooklyn) on a full salary job. At this point, NYU is looking a little ludicrous as an option. 

Because I just heard from Brown today, my brain is lagging behind in processing the position I'm in right now, so I'm gonna go to happy hour me thinks! 

But if I'm going to be completely honest. . . each of these packages are incredible, and each of these programs has its incredible pros and its not so incredible cons. My fingers are trembling as I even try to update my personal spreadsheet, but I have only seen the funding package in full for UMich and Iowa. Brown will come in a couple of days and I'll have all the info I need to really see what's feasible for me. I don't have a lot of savings and I have 2 cats, so any decision I make I feel is a huge one. I've lived in the Northeast my whole life, and my family is still here. So, I can't just yet declare there is one offer among the 3 that I'd absolutely accept yet. And also, everyone in my life has a different opinion of where I should go, so that never helps aha. 

Currently, as of right now, I am just completely filled with awe and gratitude to be in this position at all. 

I can imagine! Wishing you all the best as you decide. I hope wherever you choose to go will be somewhere you feel nurtured and supported, somewhere both you and your writing will thrive. ❤️

18 minutes ago, Mxxyr said:

This is a wonderful problem to have. Be sure to triple check cost of living, ask about campus housing, local transportation, and travel home.

talk to current students as well as the school. 
and enjoy every fucking minute of it. 

6 hours ago, seeleimraum said:

Does anyone have info on Virginia Tech for poetry? Draft shows one poetry acceptance and one waitlist - both recorded over one month ago. My app portal still says "awaiting decision" and I'm wondering what's going on... Insights appreciated!

I already had an info session with VT, I'm afraid. I believe they've sent out acceptance as well as waitlists.  

I was recently accepted to The New School, with a scholarship worth 75% of tuition (meaning tuition will be about $9000 for me). I've heard mixed things about paid NYC programs like The New School, Columbia, and NYU. Some people have strong opinions that these schools are basically "open admission, rip-off schools" with 50% acceptance rates.

Anyone have any experience with The New School? Does it have a good reputation?

Any input on paid programs in general? Does my scholarship make a difference since the school will be slightly more affordable for me?

I know I'm preaching to the choir and this has all been said before but I'm really struggling with the waiting this week. I am waiting to hear back from Sarah Lawrence. Trying not to get my hopes up or think about it. I've been lucky enough to get into one program already (American) and will likely attend. I've been rejected everywhere else. However, I write fantasy and Sarah Lawrence's speculative fiction program has (accidentally and unfortunately) become a dream for me. So... hope we hear from them soon.

If anyone knows from American alum if others have written fantasy in workshop lmk! I know they see something in my work because they accepted it but I'm very anxious about being the odd one out in the program. 

Anyway this was really just a venting post. Best of luck and sending support to everyone!

2 minutes ago, pansy flower said:

I know I'm preaching to the choir and this has all been said before but I'm really struggling with the waiting this week. I am waiting to hear back from Sarah Lawrence. Trying not to get my hopes up or think about it. I've been lucky enough to get into one program already (American) and will likely attend. I've been rejected everywhere else. However, I write fantasy and Sarah Lawrence's speculative fiction program has (accidentally and unfortunately) become a dream for me. So... hope we hear from them soon.

If anyone knows from American alum if others have written fantasy in workshop lmk! I know they see something in my work because they accepted it but I'm very anxious about being the odd one out in the program. 

Anyway this was really just a venting post. Best of luck and sending support to everyone!

Just wanted to empathize with you! It's so hard waiting on these programs that historically tended to notify a few days or weeks ago. Especially given that this year apparently had a lower amount of applications overall! This week and the last have been especially tough!

I hope you hear good news from Sarah Lawrence soon! 

1 hour ago, Cokoneot said:

I was recently accepted to The New School, with a scholarship worth 75% of tuition (meaning tuition will be about $9000 for me). I've heard mixed things about paid NYC programs like The New School, Columbia, and NYU. Some people have strong opinions that these schools are basically "open admission, rip-off schools" with 50% acceptance rates.

Any input on paid programs in general? Does my scholarship make a difference since the school will be slightly more affordable for me?

I honestly don't like giving opinions on school rep/rankings, because I think everyone's needs and fit are different, and everyone has their own ranking clustering internally that can be vastly different from everyone else's.

That said, AFAIK, 75% is the biggest scholarship tuition TNS gives, which is a pretty big indicator that they think highly of your writing sample. From Pearson's (and I have no idea how trustworthy/recent/reliable this data is) they accept 80%+ students that apply. From what I see on Draft, I think the 75% merit aid scholarship is quite rare?

In general, for programs you have to pay for, if you can afford it and be comfortable after paying for your program, fantastic. Great alums come from everywhere and the faculty at these programs tend to be stacked. 

If you can't afford it, I have a lot of personal opinions on why I wouldn't attend an MFA I'd have to pay for, especially in NYC, but I think the biggest point just boils down to: if you have to take out significant loans without a guaranteed way of paying it back after, it's...tough. Some people have made it work and have been wildly successful. But I also know a few people who will be paying off their student loans for the rest of their lives. 

Making art isn't about the money, but, I mean, it kind of also unfortunately is because we all have to eat. 

Edited by aurqcyei

8 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Just wanted to empathize with you! It's so hard waiting on these programs that historically tended to notify a few days or weeks ago. Especially given that this year apparently had a lower amount of applications overall! This week and the last have been especially tough!

I hope you hear good news from Sarah Lawrence soon! 

Thank you that is so sweet of you

21 minutes ago, Rixor said:

I think we were all kinda talking about the number of applications at the start of the cycle, and this definitely seems true for some programs, but I think I read Idaho got a record number of applications not only for their program, but their entire graduate school. Michigan said over 800, which would be slightly more than last year. And someone else said Iowa got 900 fiction apps alone? So, it's sort of interesting to wonder which programs saw more apps and which saw less. IIRC @DanielNiver mentioned a school that got far fewer apps than expected... (I guess you don't have to fess up!) I wish we had stats for the last 3-5 years, because it certainly didn't feel like, at the end of this, that there were fewer apps than last year. WAY more stats given in Draft, but also way fewer given on the GradCafe results page. (This also might be endemic to younger people tending toward social media rather than a standalone forum? Who knows?)

1 hour ago, pansy flower said:

You’re not preaching to the choir, you’re singing with us. 

1 hour ago, Hmoody said:

Woah what does that mean?

I'd like to think it means they've narrowed down the list enough to bother checking our social media. 

on 2/29 they searched me. 

2 hours ago, Cokoneot said:

I know someone who took some classes there years ago, they said it was fine, she went on to emerson. 

as far as the others being open admission rip off schools, no. just no. I won't get in to how good or why but they're among the finest educational institutions in the world. anyone who even suggests nyu or columbia are diploma mills should be asked where they were on january 6.

but know, don't pay for an mfa. see below

1 hour ago, aurqcyei said:

I honestly don't like giving opinions on school rep/rankings, because I think everyone's needs and fit are different, and everyone has their own ranking clustering internally that can be vastly different from everyone else's.

That said, AFAIK, 75% is the biggest scholarship tuition TNS gives, which is a pretty big indicator that they think highly of your writing sample. From Pearson's (and I have no idea how trustworthy/recent/reliable this data is) they accept 80%+ students that apply. From what I see on Draft, I think the 75% merit aid scholarship is quite rare?

In general, for programs you have to pay for, if you can afford it and be comfortable after paying for your program, fantastic. Great alums come from everywhere and the faculty at these programs tend to be stacked. 

If you can't afford it, I have a lot of personal opinions on why I wouldn't attend an MFA I'd have to pay for, especially in NYC, but I think the biggest point just boils down to: if you have to take out significant loans without a guaranteed way of paying it back after, it's...tough. Some people have made it work and have been wildly successful. But I also know a few people who will be paying off their student loans for the rest of their lives. 

Making art isn't about the money, but, I mean, it kind of also unfortunately is because we all have to eat. 

all this. and more to the point of art not being about making money, it shouldn't be about starving in debt either. 

no output is guaranteed, but an mfa as a financial investment is on the low scale - at best. a significant number of people want the paid program, not for the letters or the agent or the job after.

For them, it's about nothing more than the room of one's own. and as an artist, what more could you ask?

1 hour ago, Hjanep said:

Say more

well, without trying to compete for the greatest humble brag of all time - i have other offers and the treated me like something on their shoe. 

I know damn well I'm lucky to get waitlisted anywhere, let alone accepted at Stony Brook, let alone be offered any kind of financial package. I do. but they told me i was accepted, didn't follow up, and sent out other - maybe every other - official offer. I had to go chase after them. the i get an email saying to check the portal where they rewarded me for goping "back to school ("who's a good boy? who's a good little boy?") with a one time hit for 1000 bucks. again, lucky to have it, but then they threatened to take it away if i didn't reply fast enough. balls on them! finally, when i declined the offer they asked why and where i was going. it felt good to put down a public ivy but then the drop down was full of community colleges? eventually i was able to type out the school and in the box to explain why i said "full tuition and [5 figure stipend amount] is more that a 1000$.

I would never have been so ungrateful, had they just been a little bit professional. I'm going to decline others and I'm already working on my praise for them. I'm even going to send thankyous to the schools who rejected me but were prompt and courteous- syracuse, and uva to name but two.

1 hour ago, ssuunn said:

I think we were all kinda talking about the number of applications at the start of the cycle, and this definitely seems true for some programs, but I think I read Idaho got a record number of applications not only for their program, but their entire graduate school. Michigan said over 800, which would be slightly more than last year. And someone else said Iowa got 900 fiction apps alone? So, it's sort of interesting to wonder which programs saw more apps and which saw less. IIRC @DanielNiver mentioned a school that got far fewer apps than expected... (I guess you don't have to fess up!) I wish we had stats for the last 3-5 years, because it certainly didn't feel like, at the end of this, that there were fewer apps than last year. WAY more stats given in Draft, but also way fewer given on the GradCafe results page. (This also might be endemic to younger people tending toward social media rather than a standalone forum? Who knows?)

I too was surprised when @Rixor said this. I was under the impression this was at least an average year, if not better than average.

if you snoop around some schools websites, there are areas that disclose the hard numbers but this year and even last year are likely not yet available. Becca McKay told me she knew the exact number but couldn't disclose it. 

Edited by Scribe

Yeah, I might be completely wrong! It's just my guess from cross-referencing the data between this year and last year's spreadsheets for those schools that did disclose the numbers. Most seem to have went down, but I'm bad at math.