2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

3 hours ago, Hjanep said:

I think I’m right there with you. Just got off the NYU waitlist and saving money for another 1.5 years even at the job I hate sounds better than giving them a penny 

yup. 

8 hours ago, Hjanep said:

I think I’m right there with you. Just got off the NYU waitlist and saving money for another 1.5 years even at the job I hate sounds better than giving them a penny 

Sending you hugs and solidarity. It's tough but it feels right. We do this again and we do it better. 

59 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

Maybe we’ll land in the same fully funded place next year 🤞🏼

🤞🏾 

for those of you refusing to go into debt, I turned down both the offers i wound up getting.

one was for 50% tuition remission and no living stipend. super expensive area, super expensive tuition, and mandatory summers that i would have to pay for as well. the other was 100% tuition remission with a competitive teaching assistantship in a medium-priced area; however, that one also came with no stipend and i am unwilling to sacrifice the time i would be spending with my stepchildren to work 32-hour weekends and return to my program stressed and unfocused.

i decided to defer my 100% offer in case my circumstances change for next year. but i will also be working this year as i apply for the 2025 cycle and i already have a first-choice school in mind. good luck, everyone! i hope we all make it.

Edited by trenchywrench

Have any waitlisters heard from NC State? The letter they sent in the beginning of March said "all waitlist positions will be resolved by May 1". I've reached out to them but it's been crickets... does anyone have any insights??

7 hours ago, mr. specific said:

Following up with gratitude and final stats.

6 accepts, 3 waitlists, 8 rejects. It's been an thrilling, humiliating, and encouraging process. Would love to help others w their sample or statement stuff in the future. Lotsa love. 

Congratulations!! I'll probably take you up on this offer later in the year. :) 

Where did you decide to go? 

I'll also follow up!

2 accepts, 3 waitlists, 5 rejections. Very excited to be going to one of my initial acceptances! 

It's been a distressing process--lots of worry, lots of waiting, lots of uncertainty, and--of course--lots of money spent on application fees. Writing was my minor in undergrad (my major was biology) and the English director at my school said it 'wasn't really possible' for someone to go to MFA school with a non-English-related major. Very glad he was wrong! 

When I started this process, I was clueless and read the previous year's thread obsessively in trying to figure out what to do. I'm a first-gen student so I didn't have anybody in person to reach out to. So, advice for newcomers who might see this in the future doing the same: join the Facebook Draft group. It'll be called something like, "MFA Draft ‘25" and I really wish I would've joined sooner because it certainly seems to be the 'hub' for info regarding MFA CW applications.

And feel free to message me if you need any help or have any questions. I'm certainly not an expert or anything, but I'll share my SOP and stuff if asked. I probably won't use this site much anymore but I'll probably be on draft, or, my Discord is the same as my username here. 

I reached out on Draft already and figured I'd reach out here as well just in case --

I recently accepted Emerson's offer and I would love to connect with anyone else who has also committed! I'd be down just to chat and get to know the cohort, or if any female-identifying folks are interested in a roommate situation, I would love to talk more! Feel free to message me :)

• 2 weeks later...