Hjanep Posted April 17, 2024 Posted April 17, 2024 Has anyone heard anything from NYU re: waitlist? They’re so weirdly underrepresented on draft given how many spots they have
itsbeensnowing Posted April 17, 2024 Posted April 17, 2024 Because I'm still on a waitlist, every hour post-April 15 has been moving at an absolute snail's pace. I wish I could get constant play-by-play updates about everything going on behind the scenes lol Scribe and Rixor 2
taliaj Posted April 17, 2024 Posted April 17, 2024 Anyone heard ANYTHING on Boise State? I feel like it's highly unlikely that all of us who applied didn't hear a word/didn't get in, but I'm sure it's possible. I sent an email recently but so far nothing.
Rixor Posted April 17, 2024 Posted April 17, 2024 (edited) 3 minutes ago, taliaj said: Anyone heard ANYTHING on Boise State? I feel like it's highly unlikely that all of us who applied didn't hear a word/didn't get in, but I'm sure it's possible. I sent an email recently but so far nothing. Boise State fiction sent me my rejection today:) If you didn't hear, maybe no news is good news? Edited April 17, 2024 by Rixor
taliaj Posted April 17, 2024 Posted April 17, 2024 6 minutes ago, Rixor said: Boise State fiction sent me my rejection today:) If you didn't hear, maybe no news is good news? Aw man, I'm sorry! Thanks for the info, though! Did they send it to you or was it just a portal update? Sorry for all the questions! Rixor 1
Rixor Posted April 17, 2024 Posted April 17, 2024 1 hour ago, taliaj said: Aw man, I'm sorry! Thanks for the info, though! Did they send it to you or was it just a portal update? Sorry for all the questions! No worries!! I would've declined if it was anything other than a rejection. It was an email telling me to check my portal, which included a rejection. I hope you have an acceptance waiting for you!
alligator mississippiensis Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 Hello all! I just got off the NYU fiction waitlist and officially accepted a spot in their 2024 cohort!!!! This is my 4th year applying I literally feel like I'm going to vomit I'm so excited! ❤️ airlinefood_enjoyer, prufrock_, sunnysequoia and 5 others 8
Hjanep Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 13 hours ago, alligator mississippiensis said: Hello all! I just got off the NYU fiction waitlist and officially accepted a spot in their 2024 cohort!!!! This is my 4th year applying I literally feel like I'm going to vomit I'm so excited! ❤️ Congratulations!! Did they give any guidance on how long you have to decide if you take the spot etc?
alligator mississippiensis Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 2 hours ago, Hjanep said: Congratulations!! Did they give any guidance on how long you have to decide if you take the spot etc? Hello! They did not tell me how long I had to decide.
airlinefood_enjoyer Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 22 hours ago, itsbeensnowing said: Because I'm still on a waitlist, every hour post-April 15 has been moving at an absolute snail's pace. I wish I could get constant play-by-play updates about everything going on behind the scenes lol I ended up accepting the offer at uiuc-- but it wasn't clear whether or not they filled the other two spots yet
itsbeensnowing Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 5 minutes ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said: I ended up accepting the offer at uiuc-- but it wasn't clear whether or not they filled the other two spots yet Thank you for the info! Considering it's been a few days, I hope they'd have let me know by now if the cohort is locked, but you never know. If I don't hear anything by the end of the day tomorrow I might email. I'm mostly antsy because my current best plan would require a lot of preparation that I can't really begin until I'm fully committed, which I can't do with this waitlist hanging over me.
airlinefood_enjoyer Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 4 minutes ago, itsbeensnowing said: Thank you for the info! Considering it's been a few days, I hope they'd have let me know by now if the cohort is locked, but you never know. If I don't hear anything by the end of the day tomorrow I might email. I'm mostly antsy because my current best plan would require a lot of preparation that I can't really begin until I'm fully committed, which I can't do with this waitlist hanging over me. the faculty and departmental staff have been very good about communication so far-- i didnt get the impression that this is one of those programs that kind of leaves waitlisters in the lurch even after everything has been decided. if youre anxious about your options im sure an email wouldnt hurt-- i was open about weighing two options on short notice and they were pretty accommodating good luck-- hope I get to see you in the fall itsbeensnowing 1
ssuunn Posted April 18, 2024 Posted April 18, 2024 Just got an acceptance in poetry for Miami University (in Ohio). Turning down, but just writing here in case anyone was on the lookout for them! electricstardust 1
torturedpoet Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 hey guys hoping this thread isn’t entirely dead yet. i have to renege an acceptance I made on Monday and I’m anxious about how to go about it. I know it’s frowned upon but it’s the best choice for me right now. The program isn’t a good fit and I have some other sudden circumstances that are making it necessary for me to stay home this year. What’s the best way to go about telling this school? I’m going to do it asap. I do plan to reapply next year. Is this going to affect my future apps? Idk if programs talk to each other and I'm worried this might negatively affect my future applications 😥 any info or advice is appreciated
Scribe Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 (edited) 1 hour ago, torturedpoet said: hey guys hoping this thread isn’t entirely dead yet. i have to renege an acceptance I made on Monday and I’m anxious about how to go about it. I know it’s frowned upon but it’s the best choice for me right now. The program isn’t a good fit and I have some other sudden circumstances that are making it necessary for me to stay home this year. What’s the best way to go about telling this school? I’m going to do it asap. I do plan to reapply next year. Is this going to affect my future apps? Idk if programs talk to each other and I'm worried this might negatively affect my future applications 😥 any info or advice is appreciated first question: genre? this is important. poet? fiction? creative nonfiction? ? whatever you do, be careful. i knew this one cat who died of being frowned upon. horrible death too. it took like 60 years. it was a conspiracy. the fuckers who killed him are still at large. I'm not sure it will affect your applications next year. i suppose you could be put on a double secret probation list that's shared by all the programs. Maybe your picture goes up on their radar "do not take checks from this person" style. yeah, that specific program might remember you - maybe. or jurist may be on the committee of another school next year. But there's hundreds of programs out there. i mean, are they really going to blacklist you? it's a crazy level of effort to put in. I do think you do it asap, which you are. And I think you make it personal, which it seems you are. I would not in any way indicate you got a better offer, which you wouldn't, but you may neglect to say you will be reapplying next year. do NOT neglect that. tell them you will be applying next year, this could not be helped, and you will not be attending another program. You should probably ask about a deferral policy. it's almost certainly a "no" but just asking shows you want to attend and really regret not being able to. seriously, what genre? (Don't laugh at me. you could be a songwriter.) Edited April 20, 2024 by Scribe Rixor 1
Rixor Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 12 hours ago, torturedpoet said: hey guys hoping this thread isn’t entirely dead yet. i have to renege an acceptance I made on Monday and I’m anxious about how to go about it. I know it’s frowned upon but it’s the best choice for me right now. The program isn’t a good fit and I have some other sudden circumstances that are making it necessary for me to stay home this year. What’s the best way to go about telling this school? I’m going to do it asap. I do plan to reapply next year. Is this going to affect my future apps? Idk if programs talk to each other and I'm worried this might negatively affect my future applications 😥 any info or advice is appreciated If you're staying home, I think they won't be upset. I'd imagine programs get upset if you tell them "I'm 100% gonna go here!" and then turn around and go to a different 'better' school. That's frowned upon. But even in that scenario, you should really be doing what's best for you. Nobody in their right mind will be meaningfully upset if you say something like, "I'm sorry to inform you at this stage, but sudden unfortunate circumstances have made it impossible for me to pursue an MFA program this year, and I will need to withdraw my admission(?) for this reason. I deeply appreciate the opportunity and acknowledgement you've granted me. I wish I could've accepted your offer of admission, and (you can white lie a bit) I would appreciate being considered again in a future admissions cycle."
duto Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 Been randomly stalking on here for information for a while but haven't chimed in yet. Has anybody heard anything from USF? I know a couple people here were on the waitlist, but it seems like it's been crickets from them. I got a waitlist notification back in February and they said we'd be notified "by or shortly after April 15" but it's been a week now and no word. Also, has anybody gotten definitive rejections from UCR yet? I think I saw that a few people got accepted/waitlisted, so I wrote them off as a rejection, but their portal still says "Decision Pending," which is kind of infuriating. This was my first year applying and got rejections from everywhere else. It'd be nice to get a definitive "No" from these last two schools so I can get on with my life and start thinking about what to do next year.
Scribe Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 (edited) 4 hours ago, duto said: Been randomly stalking on here for information for a while but haven't chimed in yet. Has anybody heard anything from USF? I know a couple people here were on the waitlist, but it seems like it's been crickets from them. I got a waitlist notification back in February and they said we'd be notified "by or shortly after April 15" but it's been a week now and no word. Also, has anybody gotten definitive rejections from UCR yet? I think I saw that a few people got accepted/waitlisted, so I wrote them off as a rejection, but their portal still says "Decision Pending," which is kind of infuriating. This was my first year applying and got rejections from everywhere else. It'd be nice to get a definitive "No" from these last two schools so I can get on with my life and start thinking about what to do next year. I'm in the same place with UCR, it's ridiculous. They're the last school I'm waiting on just to close the book, ya know? As for USF, I posted here last Friday (the 12th) that as of that date NO ONE had accepted OR declined an offer. I was contacted just in case on Monday (the 15th), they had no cohort. By Tuesday they sent an email to what I had presumed were the remaining (I took myself off during the call) wailtisters, "Are you still interested in and available for the USF MFA?". Since then at least one person off the waitlist, but maybe more, has accepted an offer. I say call and if there are still spaces remind them you were waitlisted. I don't know why you didn't get that email. It seems to have gone out en masse. But it's also possible they're going in some kind of order. As far as i know, i'm the only one they cold called either Friday night or after. Now I'm wondering how many were on the waitlist and how many were given offers. I've seen three, five, and ten but I have no idea if any numbers are true. I suspect it's ten with 5 in poetry and 5 in prose. I think they have a CNF too. I know there were acceptance for both poetry and CNF before the 15th. Call and let us all know what's up. we don't know you but we're pulling for you. Edited April 20, 2024 by Scribe
Scribe Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 5 minutes ago, duto said: Well. That's disappointing. what happened?? i just revisited the draft thread and someone there SUSPECTS they're making offers one by one and giving each person a day to decide.
duto Posted April 20, 2024 Posted April 20, 2024 2 minutes ago, Scribe said: what happened?? i just revisited the draft thread and someone there SUSPECTS they're making offers one by one and giving each person a day to decide. Oh, I was reacting to your previous reply. I just sent an email to the director of graduate studies, who had sent out the original waitlist email. I contacted him about a month ago to ask if they offered acceptances to the waitlisted people as spots became available or if they waited until a later date to reassess all at once (it was the former). Doubtful I'll hear back from him on a Saturday, but maybe there will be some news on Monday. Thanks for the info in any case! And I guess we'll keep on the lookout for UCR rejections. Scribe 1
Rixor Posted April 21, 2024 Posted April 21, 2024 I mentioned that USF completely ghosted me--no waitlist, no accept, no rejection, but my portal changed to "no active applications" and nobody responded to my email requesting info... Someone on Reddit who's at USF right now for their MFA told me, "I wouldn't completely count out USF because their admissions can be weird, someone in our program was admitted into the program in July. " So... They're a wildcard, maybe? I've counted them out but maybe others shouldn't. Hope y'all hear back from UCR soon.
duto Posted April 21, 2024 Posted April 21, 2024 July?!? That's bonkers. I just logged into my portal again and it still says "Your application has been referred to the major for consideration," so I guess there's still hope. I don't know what to make of UCR. Portal has said "Awaiting Decision" for months. I guess they're in the same boat as USF where they feel the need to hold off on sending out rejections in case they've still got spots left after the initial accepted and waitlisted candidates. Thanks for the info in any event, though!
Scribe Posted April 21, 2024 Posted April 21, 2024 1 hour ago, duto said: July?!? That's bonkers. I just logged into my portal again and it still says "Your application has been referred to the major for consideration," so I guess there's still hope. I don't know what to make of UCR. Portal has said "Awaiting Decision" for months. I guess they're in the same boat as USF where they feel the need to hold off on sending out rejections in case they've still got spots left after the initial accepted and waitlisted candidates. Thanks for the info in any event, though! Yeah , except it looks like they’ve sent out acceptances and waitlists. So unless they’re planning on going to the folks they didn’t want in the first place, something is wrong. I’ve been saying for months now that there’s no excuse. Once you have your waitlist established it is stupid and wrong to not send out waitlists. What allows it is a mentality which makes the April 15 agreement necessary to begin with. This sort of thing should be addressed as well. The school that drags its feet may well find itself victim of the practice. is it not entirely possible, in fact likely, usf is in the position it is because they’re acceptees are in limbo somewhere else. Not everyone is here or on draft. Not everyone knows about the April 15 deadline. it’s a shitshow and no one benefits from pretending it isn’t. duto and Rixor 2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now