Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
26 minutes ago, squarkshark said:

Rixor, I finally heard back from USF after contacting the right person, sellersh@ usf . edu she is the director of creative writing programs and has access to the waitlist. It is tiered. I hope that brings you some clarity, if you haven’t contacted Heather…idk what they’re on😭

Thank you so much for the info!!:) Glad you were able to get a response!

Posted

hey guys, I need some advice 

 

I have a fully funded offer at a 3 year program that wants my decision by Friday, but I’m waitlisted at my top choice and likely won’t hear back from them until Monday or after. 
 

I really don’t know if I should accept just to accept, bc I don’t want to miss this opportunity. the program seems great but I’m just not feeling 100% about it or as excited as the other program: but again, I know I wouldn’t feel 100% certain with any option until I get there and get acclimated. 
 

my brain is just going on and on. What if I turn down this offer, apply again next year but don’t get any offers? Part of me says to just take the offer, idiot. But another part of me says I should hold out. 
 

anyone ever been in a similar position and have any (ANY) advice? 

Posted
9 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

Just wanted to let people know that I declined my offers from Ohio State and Iowa NWP. I truly hope some very good news be headed your way!

Oh and I accepted the offer from Pitt 🥳

It's been a privilege 🫡 and thank you to all those who lent help and advice in my dms. Also, I'd totally pay it forward—if anyone needs an extra set of eyes on your CNF packet next year, or have questions, hit me up! I'll try pay back the good karma.

Edited to add final stats:

8A/4W/3R/0P

 

5 hours ago, lychees said:

I just checked GradCafe and was about to congratulate you on making a final decision — and then boom, email from Ohio State that I'm off the waitlist. So congratulations and also thanks (even if I suspect you just made my decision ten times harder!). Pitt is lucky to have a writer like you. 

Congratulations to both of you!!! Super happy for you both even though I still haven't gotten off either waitlist 😅

Posted
3 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

hey guys, I need some advice 

 

I have a fully funded offer at a 3 year program that wants my decision by Friday, but I’m waitlisted at my top choice and likely won’t hear back from them until Monday or after. 
 

I really don’t know if I should accept just to accept, bc I don’t want to miss this opportunity. the program seems great but I’m just not feeling 100% about it or as excited as the other program: but again, I know I wouldn’t feel 100% certain with any option until I get there and get acclimated. 
 

my brain is just going on and on. What if I turn down this offer, apply again next year but don’t get any offers? Part of me says to just take the offer, idiot. But another part of me says I should hold out. 
 

anyone ever been in a similar position and have any (ANY) advice? 

Have you already reached out to the top choice program to ask about the likelihood of getting off the waitlist? I feel like if you explained your exact situation, there's some chance of a candid answer that might help inform your decision. 

It's a bit weird that the one you're accepted at wants your decision by Friday. Have you tried asking for an extension?

If neither of the above gets you anywhere, I'd personally make a decision with the assumption that the waitlist won't work out, which essentially comes down to either accepting the offer or committing to waiting an additional year. And that alone is a difficult decision, and I don't know your particular circumstances.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, so I empathize. The timing of everything is seldom ideal and it gets complicated.

Posted

Today has been absolutely dizzying. This morning I was putting together a list of the differences between my two offers; this night I have two new offers to consider! I'm off the waitlist at Iowa State now — and there's still five more days before the 15th (which is beginning to feel impossibly far and also so close at the same time).

Posted
15 hours ago, decayingballads21 said:

hey guys, I need some advice 

 

I have a fully funded offer at a 3 year program that wants my decision by Friday, but I’m waitlisted at my top choice and likely won’t hear back from them until Monday or after. 
 

I really don’t know if I should accept just to accept, bc I don’t want to miss this opportunity. the program seems great but I’m just not feeling 100% about it or as excited as the other program: but again, I know I wouldn’t feel 100% certain with any option until I get there and get acclimated. 
 

my brain is just going on and on. What if I turn down this offer, apply again next year but don’t get any offers? Part of me says to just take the offer, idiot. But another part of me says I should hold out. 
 

anyone ever been in a similar position and have any (ANY) advice? 

"wants" your decision, or "requires" your decision? Some programs even after signing the agreement will play cute about the deadline. they shouldn't. make sure you don't have until the 15. if you do, take that time. you wouldn't be the first person i've heard about who was "asked" for a decision before the deadline.

Posted

Hi all!! It's been a while since I've been in here, I've spent the past month agonizing about decisions haha. I visited both Manhattanville and Stony Brook (I rejected The New School pretty quick because I realized it didn't offer what I wanted for teaching opportunities and it would be too expensive anyway). I was really hesitant about attending either school and was considering just reapplying next year, but after visiting SBU, I've decided that it's the right program for me! I do want to give a shoutout to Manhattanville as a program that seems to be on the rise, the whole process was very personal and inviting and the director is doing a lot of work to make it a really good place to be, but I felt that its current state didn't fit my needs and SBU was much better for me location-wise. The teaching fellowship pathway they offer is a really great opportunity though, it makes the program almost fully funded. I'd recommend looking into it for anyone applying next year, especially in NY.

This forum has been a great help, and I've really loved seeing everyone's news and talking with you all! Thanks for helping me get through the season! ❤️

 

Posted
14 minutes ago, writernity said:

Hi all!! It's been a while since I've been in here, I've spent the past month agonizing about decisions haha. I visited both Manhattanville and Stony Brook (I rejected The New School pretty quick because I realized it didn't offer what I wanted for teaching opportunities and it would be too expensive anyway). I was really hesitant about attending either school and was considering just reapplying next year, but after visiting SBU, I've decided that it's the right program for me! I do want to give a shoutout to Manhattanville as a program that seems to be on the rise, the whole process was very personal and inviting and the director is doing a lot of work to make it a really good place to be, but I felt that its current state didn't fit my needs and SBU was much better for me location-wise. The teaching fellowship pathway they offer is a really great opportunity though, it makes the program almost fully funded. I'd recommend looking into it for anyone applying next year, especially in NY.

This forum has been a great help, and I've really loved seeing everyone's news and talking with you all! Thanks for helping me get through the season! ❤️

 

Superhappy!

did we ever figure out whether it was two or three years?

Posted
Just now, Scribe said:

Superhappy!

did we ever figure out whether it was two or three years?

Stony Brook is 2.5! With the last semester being just a thesis focus.

Posted
28 minutes ago, writernity said:

Stony Brook is 2.5! With the last semester being just a thesis focus.

So two years of classes and one semester writing.

and rewriting.

and rewriting.

and...

Posted

I still haven't heard from Boise State, and I was just wondering what the protocol was on not hearing from schools. I am assuming it was a rejection, but it feels weird that I have heard nothing? What is yalls experience? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Renrenrenren said:

I still haven't heard from Boise State, and I was just wondering what the protocol was on not hearing from schools. I am assuming it was a rejection, but it feels weird that I have heard nothing? What is yalls experience? 

I didn't hear from Iowa State until April 5 and was accepted off the waitlist five days later. So it's never a no until it's a no — but that might be an atypical experience, I'm not sure. At this point, I would reach out to Boise State directly and ask for an update. There's three days until April 15, and they owe you a clear response. 

Posted
On 4/12/2024 at 2:54 PM, Renrenrenren said:

I still haven't heard from Boise State, and I was just wondering what the protocol was on not hearing from schools. I am assuming it was a rejection, but it feels weird that I have heard nothing? What is yalls experience? 

Yeah, I'm still waiting on a handful of schools too. Are you talking about Boise State fiction? I haven't heard from them, either, and nobody on the Facebook Draft has logged anything... They do interviews first though (at least, for poetry) so maybe that changes things. 

If I got accepted/waitlisted at Boise State this late in the game, I'd decline it and I'm sure many others would, too. I've counted it out, personally, but I would reach out if I were you.

Side note, according to previous logged results on this site, Boise apparently sent out acceptances on the day of April 15th previously. Wow! Maybe it's not too late?

Posted

Hi friends, I am still on the waitlist at Columbia for fiction and I have to accept/decline my offer to The New School by the 15th. Firstly, has anyone heard anything about the Columbia waitlist? Secondly, would I be able to ask for an extension from the new school by a week or so to give them my answer? I feel bad holding my spot from someone else but but it's an expensive deposit to pay when I am still waiting to hear from my number one pick. Any advice/ thoughts?

Posted

I've officially accepted my offer from the University of Minnesota (and declined my Ohio State offer, so I hope someone on the waitlist receives good news soon)! That finishes this cycle at 6a/1w/4r. Wishing you all the best in the coming days, thank you for all the support ❤️

Posted
18 hours ago, Rixor said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting on a handful of schools too. Are you talking about Boise State fiction? I haven't heard from them, either, and nobody on the Facebook Draft has logged anything... They do interviews first though (at least, for poetry) so maybe that changes things. 

If I got accepted/waitlisted at Boise State this late in the game, I'd decline it and I'm sure many others would, too. I've counted it out, personally, but I would reach out if I were you.

Side note, according to previous logged results on this site, Boise apparently sent out acceptances on the day of April 15th previously. Wow! Maybe it's not too late?

I’m Bosie State for Poetry! 

 

That is insane that they have sent out acceptances that late!!! I don’t need false hope!!!!!!  

Posted
7 minutes ago, Renrenrenren said:

I’m Bosie State for Poetry! 

 

That is insane that they have sent out acceptances that late!!! I don’t need false hope!!!!!!  

To my knowledge, at least one acceptance for Boise poetry has gone out on Feb 5th. I know of someone who just turned down their poetry waitlist there, too. Doesn't hurt to reach out. I'm also in a nebulous state with some schools--no acceptance, no waitlist, no rejection, but others' notifications have gone out. Hope you hear good news soon. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Just got my first acceptance! ... From the very first school I heard from back in January 😂 my fellow waitlist warriors, now is our time 😄

Where at?! Congrats! 

And aside—I accepted my (poetry) offer from the University of Oregon on April 1. I think the poetry cohort has now been finalized. Where my people at?!

Posted
8 hours ago, lychees said:

I've officially accepted my offer from the University of Minnesota (and declined my Ohio State offer, so I hope someone on the waitlist receives good news soon)! That finishes this cycle at 6a/1w/4r. Wishing you all the best in the coming days, thank you for all the support ❤️

lychees!! been following your journey on here for a while, and  I’m so SO happy for you!! congrats!! ♥️ also i would love to connect with you outside of here and chat all things CNF and writing- need nonfiction friends!! Pls 🫶🏻 DM me! 

Posted
1 hour ago, itsbeensnowing said:

Congrats! I'm also waitlisted for fiction at UIUC, so I hope yours wasn't the last slot! (They didn't happen to mention any intel, did they?)

No, they didn't mention if the other 2 spots had been filled yet. They did want my decision by EOD tomorrow, so there may be a bit of movement this week after the 15th. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use