2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

28 minutes ago, writernity said:

Stony Brook is 2.5! With the last semester being just a thesis focus.

So two years of classes and one semester writing.

and rewriting.

and rewriting.

and...

I still haven't heard from Boise State, and I was just wondering what the protocol was on not hearing from schools. I am assuming it was a rejection, but it feels weird that I have heard nothing? What is yalls experience? 

1 hour ago, Renrenrenren said:

I still haven't heard from Boise State, and I was just wondering what the protocol was on not hearing from schools. I am assuming it was a rejection, but it feels weird that I have heard nothing? What is yalls experience? 

I didn't hear from Iowa State until April 5 and was accepted off the waitlist five days later. So it's never a no until it's a no — but that might be an atypical experience, I'm not sure. At this point, I would reach out to Boise State directly and ask for an update. There's three days until April 15, and they owe you a clear response. 

On 4/12/2024 at 2:54 PM, Renrenrenren said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting on a handful of schools too. Are you talking about Boise State fiction? I haven't heard from them, either, and nobody on the Facebook Draft has logged anything... They do interviews first though (at least, for poetry) so maybe that changes things. 

If I got accepted/waitlisted at Boise State this late in the game, I'd decline it and I'm sure many others would, too. I've counted it out, personally, but I would reach out if I were you.

Side note, according to previous logged results on this site, Boise apparently sent out acceptances on the day of April 15th previously. Wow! Maybe it's not too late?

Hi friends, I am still on the waitlist at Columbia for fiction and I have to accept/decline my offer to The New School by the 15th. Firstly, has anyone heard anything about the Columbia waitlist? Secondly, would I be able to ask for an extension from the new school by a week or so to give them my answer? I feel bad holding my spot from someone else but but it's an expensive deposit to pay when I am still waiting to hear from my number one pick. Any advice/ thoughts?

I've officially accepted my offer from the University of Minnesota (and declined my Ohio State offer, so I hope someone on the waitlist receives good news soon)! That finishes this cycle at 6a/1w/4r. Wishing you all the best in the coming days, thank you for all the support ❤️

18 hours ago, Rixor said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting on a handful of schools too. Are you talking about Boise State fiction? I haven't heard from them, either, and nobody on the Facebook Draft has logged anything... They do interviews first though (at least, for poetry) so maybe that changes things. 

If I got accepted/waitlisted at Boise State this late in the game, I'd decline it and I'm sure many others would, too. I've counted it out, personally, but I would reach out if I were you.

Side note, according to previous logged results on this site, Boise apparently sent out acceptances on the day of April 15th previously. Wow! Maybe it's not too late?

I’m Bosie State for Poetry! 

That is insane that they have sent out acceptances that late!!! I don’t need false hope!!!!!!  

7 minutes ago, Renrenrenren said:

I’m Bosie State for Poetry! 

That is insane that they have sent out acceptances that late!!! I don’t need false hope!!!!!!  

To my knowledge, at least one acceptance for Boise poetry has gone out on Feb 5th. I know of someone who just turned down their poetry waitlist there, too. Doesn't hurt to reach out. I'm also in a nebulous state with some schools--no acceptance, no waitlist, no rejection, but others' notifications have gone out. Hope you hear good news soon. 

2 minutes ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Just got my first acceptance! ... From the very first school I heard from back in January 😂 my fellow waitlist warriors, now is our time 😄

Where at?! Congrats! 

And aside—I accepted my (poetry) offer from the University of Oregon on April 1. I think the poetry cohort has now been finalized. Where my people at?!

8 hours ago, lychees said:

I've officially accepted my offer from the University of Minnesota (and declined my Ohio State offer, so I hope someone on the waitlist receives good news soon)! That finishes this cycle at 6a/1w/4r. Wishing you all the best in the coming days, thank you for all the support ❤️

lychees!! been following your journey on here for a while, and  I’m so SO happy for you!! congrats!! ♥️ also i would love to connect with you outside of here and chat all things CNF and writing- need nonfiction friends!! Pls 🫶🏻 DM me! 

1 hour ago, itsbeensnowing said:

Congrats! I'm also waitlisted for fiction at UIUC, so I hope yours wasn't the last slot! (They didn't happen to mention any intel, did they?)

No, they didn't mention if the other 2 spots had been filled yet. They did want my decision by EOD tomorrow, so there may be a bit of movement this week after the 15th. 

2 hours ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

UIUC (university of Illinois)! Congrats on Oregon!

Congrats!!! UIUC was my top choice, but I went with my gut on Oregon. Turns out, they only accepted 1 from the waitlist for poetry, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways! 

10 hours ago, lychees said:

So happy for you, congratulations!!! I still haven’t heard from any of my waitlists, including Minnesota and Ohio State. Continuing to wait with bated breath over the next 24 hours 😭

15 hours ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Just got my first acceptance! ... From the very first school I heard from back in January 😂 my fellow waitlist warriors, now is our time 😄

And just got my second acceptance! ... From the second school I heard from back in January 😂 (Ohio State)... a very big decision to make in a short time but I suppose there's much worse problems to have 

I got an email last night (around 9 pm PT) with an offer to Iowa nonfiction, and a follow up this morning requesting my decision by 4:30 pm Central time today. Essentially 16 hours to decide. Is this standard for admission from waitlist? At this point, I’m leaning towards accepting even with all the outstanding questions I have. Worst case scenario, would there be anything technically preventing me from backing out closer to summer? Other than burning a bridge and knowing I’d never have another chance to attend Iowa. Any thoughts/info would be appreciated given the tight deadline. 

Edited by Jjt143

On 4/14/2024 at 8:10 AM, lychees said:

@lychees I guess after you declined, they moved on to me because I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM OHIO STATE 😭😭😭 OH MY FREAKING GOD I CANT BELIEVE I FINALLY GOT OFF A WAITLIST IM SO EXCITED 😀😭😀😭😀😭 

1 hour ago, Jjt143 said:

I got an email last night (around 9 pm PT) with an offer to Iowa nonfiction, and a follow up this morning requesting my decision by 4:30 pm Central time today. Essentially 16 hours to decide. Is this standard for admission from waitlist? At this point, I’m leaning towards accepting even with all the outstanding questions I have. Worst case scenario, would there be anything technically preventing me from backing out closer to summer? Other than burning a bridge and knowing I’d never have another chance to attend Iowa. Any thoughts/info would be appreciated given the tight deadline. 

Ask them for an extension!!! Ohio State emailed me this morning and I have until Wednesday at 11:59pm to make my decision. Definitely get all your questions answered first.

I just got accepted by a program, but they told me more information about the teaching assistantship is forthcoming (by the end of April) and are allowing me to decide whether or not I want to attend on May 1st. I’m still on the NYU waitlist as well. Looks like I may be going somewhere this year after all!

18 minutes ago, trenchywrench said:

I just got accepted by a program, but they told me more information about the teaching assistantship is forthcoming (by the end of April) and are allowing me to decide whether or not I want to attend on May 1st. I’m still on the NYU waitlist as well. Looks like I may be going somewhere this year after all!

Congrats. May I ask where you got accepted?

1 minute ago, Sumire11 said:

Congrats. May I ask where you got accepted?

Southern in Connecticut. They take 6 poets and 6 fiction writers a year and their program is pretty new, having been around since 2009, so they weren’t on my radar at all initially. I’m really considering going this year.