2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

Yesterday I was notified that I got an interview at Hunter (fiction applicant) so it might not be quite over! Wondering if there's any advice from people who have interview with them? It's so nerve wracking to have interviews this late in the game because it feels like my last hope!!!

Hi all! I've also been... lurking for a while here. It's been great to see this community coming together, and I'm so happy for those who got into programs that fit them!

I'm a creative non-fiction writer and work mostly with lyric essays, and am graduating with my BA this May. I'm an international applicant and applied to 7 schools. I got acceptances at SLC and Columbia (woo-hoo!), both partial funding (woo...hoo....). I also am on the waitlist for NYU but I'm pretty skeptical of getting off it. 

I wanted to ask this group more about SLC and Columbia to get a better sense of things. First off, I know the hard rule is to not go for an MFA without full funding, but ... I don't know. I was supposed to get a BFA for undergrad, was accepted and didn't go; applied to transfer to the same school for a BFA in my sophomore year, was accepted and didn't go again. All in all, I don't necessarily regret those choices because I love my college but I definitely also feel like I gave up something big not just once, but twice (even if those were the right choices for me at the times). All in all, though, this means that my urge to ignore the advice about funding is extra strong :'D 

I know someone asked about Columbia earlier regarding how competitive it is and whether that still meant it was an equally intensive program (or something along those lines). I think I have a similar concern, especially because I personally know profs and have also heard of profs who are anti-Columbia. Other than exorbitant fees and the general evil things that huge education institutes like them are up to, what specifically is it about their reputation re: writing that turn people off? (And if there are any Columbia stans out here, I'd love to hear that side too! Feeling super conflicted at the moment.)

As for SLC, my impression of it is that it's a program that encourages genre experimentation and hybridity, and that's what appealed to me. I'd prefer that over an extremely literary focus, but I was wondering if my sensing is wrong? Just curious!

Finally, how have you guys been formatting your replies to acceptances? Especially to negotiate for more funding? I seriously struggle with email communication and would love advice or even a template.

Thank you!!!

54 minutes ago, LinneaSage said:

Yesterday I was notified that I got an interview at Hunter (fiction applicant) so it might not be quite over! Wondering if there's any advice from people who have interview with them? It's so nerve wracking to have interviews this late in the game because it feels like my last hope!!!

i interviewed with them for fiction and received an acceptance! it was pretty chill-- just come prepared to talk about what you're currently reading, what you've recently read that you didn't like (lol), why you think an MFA would help your writing (and why specifically Hunter) and then be sure to have a couple well-researched questions about the program. 

Good luck!

18 hours ago, flowermariela said:

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for the last few weeks (only recently realized this space existed!) 

I wanted to see if anyone had any insights on the waitlist process regarding Syracuse? I'm feeling real lucky to be on the waitlist, but trying not to be too hopeful (what's meant for me will find me). 

I recently received an offer from the University of Miami (fully funded yay!) which I haven't heard many people on this forum talk about, if anyone has any insights on this, I'd love to hear it! 

Current status is: 

(1a/2w/8r/4p) 

Hoping to get at least one more acceptance, at least for the illusion of choice haha. 

Love to see such a supportive community! 

Congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking when did you hear back from UM? Also, did they say how many people they're accepting this year? 

6 minutes ago, PinkBlue said:

Congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking when did you hear back from UM? Also, did they say how many people they're accepting this year? 

Thank you so much! I heard back UM March 7th, but I interviewed with them March 4th. They sent out their acceptances earlier than they had originally said (March 18th was when I was supposed to hear back), in the interview they said they had accepted 6 fiction writers & 6 poets, & that there would be a waitlist! I hope this helps :) 

59 minutes ago, flowermariela said:

Thank you so much! I heard back UM March 7th, but I interviewed with them March 4th. They sent out their acceptances earlier than they had originally said (March 18th was when I was supposed to hear back), in the interview they said they had accepted 6 fiction writers & 6 poets, & that there would be a waitlist! I hope this helps :) 

Congrats! I got into Miami too! They told me they were only taking 3 poets and 3 fiction writers. Maybe they meant there were 6 over the two years, or maybe I misunderstood. Regarding Syracuse, I don't have any special insight on the waitlist, but I am accepted there and most likely will not go, so hopefully that's good news for someone. I visited and it's a great program.

7 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Congrats! I got into Miami too! They told me they were only taking 3 poets and 3 fiction writers. Maybe they meant there were 6 over the two years, or maybe I misunderstood. Regarding Syracuse, I don't have any special insight on the waitlist, but I am accepted there and most likely will not go, so hopefully that's good news for someone. I visited and it's a great program.

Thank you! How exciting, congratulations to you! I might've misunderstood them in the interview (I was so nervous!) either way I am very happy to have a yes. Regarding Syracuse, thank you for keeping me updated, it's been a top school for me for a while now, and while I'm not getting my hopes up (I really do love Miami's program), I'm anxious to hear any updates from them, but I truly believe everything that's meant to happen will happen :)

18 hours ago, subsolar said:

Hi everyone! I finally decided to make an appearance after lurking since page one. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted/waitlisted and to everyone who applied in general because man. Applying to MFAs feels like it could be a military torture method.

I'm currently waitlisted at both Maryland and Minnesota for Fiction, and I feel very appreciative because this is my first cycle, and I was kinda scared that I was going to write the email of shame to my recommenders. I'm lowkey already preparing my list for next year just in case, but we'll see. I was been beating myself up over one of my writing samples but what is done is done. I like both programs equally, and they both have their pros/cons for me, so I guess I'll just leave it up to fate (their admissions committees). Actually, I will say, Minnesota was #2 on my list, so it was exciting to hear from them. I think I applied to less schools than most people do but there were certain schools where I said "I'd rather be dead in California than alive in _____." And I only applied to programs I'd be very happy to attend. 

Funnily enough (but not that funny because I have $7 left), Minnesota and Maryland were 2/3 schools I couldn't use fee waivers for, and I told my friends that I better get good news from them because they took my money knowing I was broke. I think I manifested it on accident. 

Also, if anyone is in or waitlisted at UC Riverside, feel free to ask me any questions. I did my undergrad there for creative writing, and I had an absolute blast. I love UCR, but I didn't apply for my MFA there because I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. The professors know me and my writing extremely well already. The fiction faculty is amazing, and I could talk about them all day. I'd say MFA students there are treated well by students as well because I adored my TAs, and I only ever heard other students say kind things about them. It's an extremely diverse school and Riverside isn't as bad as a place as they make it out to be (as long as you don't have a catalytic converter). 

omg hello! Congratulations on being waitlisted at both Maryland and Minnesota :) That's incredible and my fingers are crossed for you! I live so close to UMD and hear great things about the school; it would have been nice to get an acceptance or waitlist but alas...my fortunes appear to be directing me instead to your alma mater, UC Riverside, where I got in for fiction! It's so great to hear that you had a wonderful experience with the fiction faculty. If you're down, I would love to talk to you more about what it was like studying there/living there, etc. I have also been lurking on here and just created an account after seeing your post. (And LOL/SOB at the catalytic converter thing. I have a Prius and I am realizing if I move there I will need to lock that baby up somehow...or else consider living maybe somewhere else.)

Hi all — longtime lurker finally deciding to post. I figured people here might have a better/quicker answer than Google to my question.

I just completed my cycle with a rejection from Iowa. All in all, 6 rejections. I'm very lucky to also have received two waitlists, from Tennessee-Knoxville and Ole Miss. I was wondering if anybody had any insight as to when I might generally expect to receive notification of either getting off a waitlist or an official rejection. I think the suspense is going to kill me over the next month. I tried looking through past forums to see when others started getting off of waitlists, but it became really convoluted. 

11 hours ago, branch said:

I have nothing exciting to add just that one of my best friends drew the art in your icon and it gave me a much-needed laugh ❤️

Oh my! What a small world (cyberspace??) I thought he was a funny little guy and saved him from Tumblr 🙂❤️ 

2 hours ago, sleeeeep said:

omg hello! Congratulations on being waitlisted at both Maryland and Minnesota :) That's incredible and my fingers are crossed for you! I live so close to UMD and hear great things about the school; it would have been nice to get an acceptance or waitlist but alas...my fortunes appear to be directing me instead to your alma mater, UC Riverside, where I got in for fiction! It's so great to hear that you had a wonderful experience with the fiction faculty. If you're down, I would love to talk to you more about what it was like studying there/living there, etc. I have also been lurking on here and just created an account after seeing your post. (And LOL/SOB at the catalytic converter thing. I have a Prius and I am realizing if I move there I will need to lock that baby up somehow...or else consider living maybe somewhere else.)

It's really easy to get a cover for the catalytic converter on your Prius! Much cheaper than getting it stolen. Trust me, I've been there. 

1 minute ago, btwnthetides said:

It's really easy to get a cover for the catalytic converter on your Prius! Much cheaper than getting it stolen. Trust me, I've been there. 

thank you!! i was literally looking up tips on how to avoid getting your catalytic converter stolen and turns out....there are ways lol. and ugh i'm sorry that happened to you!!!! bastards.

1 hour ago, sleeeeep said:

What a funny coincidence! And congratulations! The faculty there is so down to Earth and fun to work with so if they picked you, I know it's because they believe in you. This turned out a lot longer than I thought, but I hope it helps you or any other students considering UCR now or in the future.

Being a UCR student was very fun. I will say there are certain events that are only for undergrad students, but I assume there were events for grad students. We also host a Writer's Week in February and lots of cool writers make appearances. I do remember there were certain parts of the library reserved for grad students. The campus is not enormous, but it's still pretty big because we own a lot of orange groves. As a Creative Writing student, you will most likely only stick to one side of the school because the department has a floor in a building with the world’s slowest elevator (but it has a cool selfie mirror on top so that’s fun). Or you can climb up the three flights of stairs. The department is a short walk away from The HUB where you can go and get food, coffee, snacks, etc. The department also has a parking lot right next to it where I saw my TAs/Professors park, so I’m going to assume your catalytic converter will be safe there. It’s just been a huge problem in the regular student parking, and UC Riverside is a “commuter school” so the lots get packed. I’m not sure if they’ve added more security/cameras since I graduated in ’22. I lived off campus but still right by campus, and I took the bus for free or just walked to campus everyday.

One of the lecturers there was an MFA student at UCR and said he’d spend a lot of time at the Getaway Café writing/workshopping with his cohort. That café is a UCR staple, and it’s also a very short walk away from the department. I believe he said he didn’t get to TA one year, but I’d personally ask faculty about the TA selection process if it’s something important to you. I’m not sure if everyone gets to TA now or if it’s still a select few.

I really don’t know much about the MFA life, but you will most mostly be teaching Creative Writing majors in a Creative Writing department, not English majors. Expect students to be passionate about writing and to have questions and actually attend office hours. I say that because I’d be outside office hours for my TAs early, and there were always people in front of me. UCR is an extremely diverse school so there will be many types of writers exploring different subject matters, and I think that makes it so fun. My TAs were actually the ones that told me that if I was ever interested in getting an MFA, they'd answer any questions. I'm not saying you have to be the same way and be as available at all, but me and the other students in the department always thought highly of our TAs.

Because they take a small cohort, I'm going to assume you'll get more than enough attention from faculty. I say this because as an undergrad student, they always made time for me and to answer my questions even if they had like five other students lined up outside. One of my favorite memories is walking into a professor's office at random with a 20 page manuscript and going, "What do I do with this?" They’d always get back to me in a week or two.

Also, each faculty member has taught me extremely life changing things on accident, but it's because despite being in a class with twenty other students, they took time to get to know my writing and style and what I was trying to accomplish. They’ve never tried to mold me into a writer that they think I should be, but rather, they saw what type of writer I already was and helped me become a better version of that. They also give awesome reading recommendations. I have nothing bad to say about any of them, honestly. I have a core three faculty I go back to and still email, and I’ve been updating them with my MFA process, and they’re very excited for me. Choosing UCR at a 17 year old was the best choice I could’ve made for myself as a writer.

If you have more general questions you can ask here for other people's reference, or if you want more specific details (names, housing, etc.), feel free to message me! I could blabber about UCR all day.

Hey all. Just discovered this forum, y'all are out here doing the Lord's work.

Question: Have there been updates on Michener & the University of Oregon? I'm at 10/12 rejections right now and those are my two still in review. It seems late for Michener -- I've been applying for several years now and have always gotten declined in late Feb. Should I hope???

3 minutes ago, subsolar said:

What a funny coincidence! And congratulations! The faculty there is so down to Earth and fun to work with so if they picked you, I know it's because they believe in you. This turned out a lot longer than I thought, but I hope it helps you or any other students considering UCR now or in the future.

Being a UCR student was very fun. I will say there are certain events that are only for undergrad students, but I assume there were events for grad students. We also host a Writer's Week in February and lots of cool writers make appearances. I do remember there were certain parts of the library reserved for grad students. The campus is not enormous, but it's still pretty big because we own a lot of orange groves. As a Creative Writing student, you will most likely only stick to one side of the school because the department has a floor in a building with the world’s slowest elevator (but it has a cool selfie mirror on top so that’s fun). Or you can climb up the three flights of stairs. The department is a short walk away from The HUB where you can go and get food, coffee, snacks, etc. The department also has a parking lot right next to it where I saw my TAs/Professors park, so I’m going to assume your catalytic converter will be safe there. It’s just been a huge problem in the regular student parking, and UC Riverside is a “commuter school” so the lots get packed. I’m not sure if they’ve added more security/cameras since I graduated in ’22. I lived off campus but still right by campus, and I took the bus for free or just walked to campus everyday.

One of the lecturers there was an MFA student at UCR and said he’d spend a lot of time at the Getaway Café writing/workshopping with his cohort. That café is a UCR staple, and it’s also a very short walk away from the department. I believe he said he didn’t get to TA one year, but I’d personally ask faculty about the TA selection process if it’s something important to you. I’m not sure if everyone gets to TA now or if it’s still a select few.

I really don’t know much about the MFA life, but you will most mostly be teaching Creative Writing majors in a Creative Writing department, not English majors. Expect students to be passionate about writing and to have questions and actually attend office hours. I say that because I’d be outside office hours for my TAs early, and there were always people in front of me. UCR is an extremely diverse school so there will be many types of writers exploring different subject matters, and I think that makes it so fun. My TAs were actually the ones that told me that if I was ever interested in getting an MFA, they'd answer any questions. I'm not saying you have to be the same way and be as available at all, but me and the other students in the department always thought highly of our TAs.

Because they take a small cohort, I'm going to assume you'll get more than enough attention from faculty. I say this because as an undergrad student, they always made time for me and to answer my questions even if they had like five other students lined up outside. One of my favorite memories is walking into a professor's office at random with a 20 page manuscript and going, "What do I do with this?" They’d always get back to me in a week or two.

Also, each faculty member has taught me extremely life changing things on accident, but it's because despite being in a class with twenty other students, they took time to get to know my writing and style and what I was trying to accomplish. They’ve never tried to mold me into a writer that they think I should be, but rather, they saw what type of writer I already was and helped me become a better version of that. They also give awesome reading recommendations. I have nothing bad to say about any of them, honestly. I have a core three faculty I go back to and still email, and I’ve been updating them with my MFA process, and they’re very excited for me. Choosing UCR at a 17 year old was the best choice I could’ve made for myself as a writer.

If you have more general questions you can ask here for other people's reference, or if you want more specific details (names, housing, etc.), feel free to message me! I could blabber about UCR all day.

Oh my gosh, I got a little teary reading this post! Partly because it sounds like you had a genuinely incredible experience (one that you and I think every young writer deserves!) but also because this was so generous of you to type out. Thank you!!!!! I've been kind of desperate for any and all information about people's experience at UCR/with the creative writing department, even though I am going to be visiting soon, so I can't tell you what a help this is, and how encouraged I feel. I almost burst into tears with Reza Aslan called me to let me know I was accepted because I was so excited about the program but was convinced I didn't get in. I would love to DM you if you're okay with that, but I promise I won't suck up all of your time with endless questions! (I'm not sure if I have any knowledge or insight that might be useful to you during this process, but if I do, it's all yours!)

3 minutes ago, sleeeeep said:

Oh my gosh, I got a little teary reading this post! Partly because it sounds like you had a genuinely incredible experience (one that you and I think every young writer deserves!) but also because this was so generous of you to type out. Thank you!!!!! I've been kind of desperate for any and all information about people's experience at UCR/with the creative writing department, even though I am going to be visiting soon, so I can't tell you what a help this is, and how encouraged I feel. I almost burst into tears with Reza Aslan called me to let me know I was accepted because I was so excited about the program but was convinced I didn't get in. I would love to DM you if you're okay with that, but I promise I won't suck up all of your time with endless questions! (I'm not sure if I have any knowledge or insight that might be useful to you during this process, but if I do, it's all yours!)

I'm so happy to be of help ❤️ Yes of course! I believe gradcafe has a message feature feel free to reach out with any questions! 

5 hours ago, parttimepoet said:

Hi all! I've also been... lurking for a while here. It's been great to see this community coming together, and I'm so happy for those who got into programs that fit them!

I'm a creative non-fiction writer and work mostly with lyric essays, and am graduating with my BA this May. I'm an international applicant and applied to 7 schools. I got acceptances at SLC and Columbia (woo-hoo!), both partial funding (woo...hoo....). I also am on the waitlist for NYU but I'm pretty skeptical of getting off it. 

I also got into SLC and Columbia with partial funding (fiction)! And I'm pretty sure I'll be saying yes to SLC. This might just be my young impulsivity, but I have always been ambitious and willing to jump a little too high rather than not jump at all out of fear. I am in my last semester of my undergrad and also have a lot of personal shit that makes it that I don't really have a place to go after undergrad to wait around and figure stuff out/save money, so I need to get an apartment and start Adult Life now, and I really am comforted by the prospect of having a little bit of a safety net of being able to take out student loans to help with housing while I make this transition alone. I was on full financial aid all undergrad so I haven't taken out any student loans yet, so I feel ending up with an undergrad degree and a Masters and only collectively having less than $50k student loans to show for it seems like not the worst. I want to work in public service in the future so in the back of my mind I know that loan forgiveness is also an option. I will say in regards to Columbia, my undergrad is there and I know some people in their first year at the Columbia MFA, and the general feeling they have in their workshops is that quality of writing varies greatly within the program. I don't really know what to make of that personally, but that's just what I've been told. My sample I sent in included an eyeball scooping scene, so I feel like the direction I want to take my writing will be greatly supported by the somewhat non-traditional vibe of SLC. I just made this account and idk how to DM on here but I can message you more about the email I've sent SLC about funding, but they're on spring break right now and I haven't heard back so I can't tell you if it was effective yet. This is a big jumble. Just letting you know I'm right there with you in terms of scary big decision.

21 hours ago, seeleimraum said:

@wmly I did! Really not sure what to think...other than it's kinda verging on obnoxious, in a way? LOL. Hoping it means something ultimately positive, but I'm not about to get my hopes up. Let me know if you hear anything further, and I will do the same. Good luck!

right? i don't mind an update, but the way it was worded was so vague and unhelpful LOL... i'll let you know if i hear anything else, but same as you: fingers crossed but i'm not getting my hopes up 😕

The email from Willis (Iowa) stating "your application is still under consideration" is, in fact, a kind of waitlist. It's not ranked; it's a group of their top. It means in the event someone does decline an offer from Iowa, they don't have a student ready to fill their place. Instead, they go back to the entire group of their top applicants, re"consider" and re-deliberate the entire waitlist. I hope this clears up some confusion! 

1 hour ago, potentialyeti said:

Hey all. Just discovered this forum, y'all are out here doing the Lord's work.

Question: Have there been updates on Michener & the University of Oregon? I'm at 10/12 rejections right now and those are my two still in review. It seems late for Michener -- I've been applying for several years now and have always gotten declined in late Feb. Should I hope???

I don't think anyone's gotten a U of O rejection yet, but acceptances and waitlists went out late Jan/early Feb. For Michener, if your app still says 'Under Review' in the portal, I'd email and ask, since all results, including rejections, for fiction/poetry went out out late Feb. 

On another note, I emailed the Irvine coordinator and asked for a definitive answer, noting that I wanted to make a decision soon on my 3As, and Michelle Latiolais was very prompt and kind in her response and rejection. She indicated they took one less this year due to budget cuts. That actually surprised me, but maybe I shouldn't be given what happened to U of A, U of F, and Purdue 😕

5 minutes ago, aurqcyei said:

I don't think anyone's gotten a U of O rejection yet, but acceptances and waitlists went out late Jan/early Feb. For Michener, if your app still says 'Under Review' in the portal, I'd email and ask, since all results, including rejections, for fiction/poetry went out out late Feb. 

On another note, I emailed the Irvine coordinator and asked for a definitive answer, noting that I wanted to make a decision soon on my 3As, and Michelle Latiolais was very prompt and kind in her response and rejection. She indicated they took one less this year due to budget cuts. That actually surprised me, but maybe I shouldn't be given what happened to U of A, U of F, and Purdue 😕

Fascinating. Yeah it still says "In review" in the portal. I'll email to ask. Assuming that's probably a soft rejection then. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Mxxyr said:

The email from Willis (Iowa) stating "your application is still under consideration" is, in fact, a kind of waitlist. It's not ranked; it's a group of their top. It means in the event someone does decline an offer from Iowa, they don't have a student ready to fill their place. Instead, they go back to the entire group of their top applicants, re"consider" and re-deliberate the entire waitlist. I hope this clears up some confusion! 

Fascinating! Where did you get this clarification from?

I haven't been as active these last few days and I'm sorry since I told everyone I was hanging in here til the end. I still am and I know I haven't been up on my congrats, welcomes, and encouragements. 

But I am still here and I am still behind you all. 

For those in softrvlille and waitlistburg I hear you. I'm kinda there too and looking at the next stage of my life with sober anxiety. 

There's a lot happening with respect to budgets. Both cohorts and stipends are being cut while some schools are expanding their programs in the hopes of gaining funding themselves. some are also increasing stipends in response to dramatic cost of living changes. It seems to me this year is one where you can really give yourself a break if you didn't get an A. I know there are some who are apprehensive (bullshit, it's just your pride) about approaching your recommenders again next year. Don't be. If you need an excuse, tell them about the budget cuts. Hell, lie and say you got in to a few places but it didn't work out. But do not give up. I am as dumb as dirt. I was rejected from TEN programs SO FAR. That does not include six (maybe seven - UW Seattle?) soft rejections. And there are more after that. In fact, it is quite possible the only reason i got in anywhere is because I cast such a wide net. Two programs rejected me TWICE! WTF is that about?

I can be lighthearted about it all now, but you will be too. Keep writing. keep reading. Keep learning. 

I am so grateful to you all.