2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

40 minutes ago, writernity said:

ALERT: Two people on Draft have gotten Pittsburgh interview emails! From past years, it seems they interview anyone they're going to accept/waitlist in late Jan/early Feb.

Dang, nothing in my inbox. Pittsburgh is the first of the schools I applied to that has started notifying people. These next two months are going to be long.

16 minutes ago, Southron said:

Dang, nothing in my inbox. Pittsburgh is the first of the schools I applied to that has started notifying people. These next two months are going to be long.

It's my first too, wishing us both luck! 🤞 It seems they usually send out interview requests within the course a week or so!

2 hours ago, TPike said:

Practically begging MFA Draft to accept my request at this point 😪

Me too! It’s gonna feel like an actual school acceptance when I get in. 😂

3 hours ago, triciadawn said:

I'm struggling to finish my cover letter for Minnesota State. I wasn't aware that funding applications were separately, or I wouldn't have applied. I thought everyone accepted received funding. Should I even bother at this point if it's not my first choice? 

I would say double check. It's VERY possible you're being asked to apply for additional funding. 

5 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I would say double check. It's VERY possible you're being asked to apply for additional funding. 

It doesn’t seem like everyone is automatically considered for funding. The website says, “For funding opportunities, we strongly recommend filing an application for a Graduate Student Assistantship in addition to your application to the MFA program. Students who are selected for admission into the program AND a graduate assistantship are awarded a stipend and full tuition remission for up to 18 credits per academic year.

4 hours ago, writernity said:

ALERT: Two people on Draft have gotten Pittsburgh interview emails! From past years, it seems they interview anyone they're going to accept/waitlist in late Jan/early Feb.

Was this post deleted?? I’m not seeing this update in Draft.

So I’ve been accepted to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio for nonfiction!! 😱😱😱 I almost missed the email because it landed in my updates and not primary inbox and the subject line read, “At Miami University, good news travels fast!” which if you ask me is a rather unsuspecting email LOL.

Considering this is a fully funded program, I guess I’m definitely not applying to the remaining NYC and SF schools on my list 😆

1a/1w/0r/11p

4 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Hmmm.  I remember similar stuff in some of my applications. But if I couldn’t do it on the spot, I didn’t. Is the all caps AND yours or theirs?

The AND in all caps is theirs. 

The funding application is due on Feb 1, and it says a requirement for a graduate assistantship is a bachelors in English or related field, which I don’t have. Kind of disappointed to say the least. Oh well, that was $45 down the drain! 

18 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

So I’ve been accepted to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio for nonfiction!! 😱😱😱 I almost missed the email because it landed in my updates and not primary inbox and the subject line read, “At Miami University, good news travels fast!” which if you ask me is a rather unsuspecting email LOL.

Considering this is a fully funded program, I guess I’m definitely not applying to the remaining NYC and SF schools on my list 😆

1a/1w/0r/11p

CONGRATS!! 🎉🎉🎉

The Pitt interview invites were updated on the spreadsheet, not posted in the group. 

University of Oregon acceptances/waitlists are popping up in Draft, at least for fiction. I've noticed that the last 20 results on the spreadsheet are all for fiction... are the poetry people just not submitting their results or is every program just lagging behind on the poetry decisions lol

35 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

1a/1w/0r/11p

That's what's up. Congratulations!! 

1 hour ago, ajcam said:

Me too! It’s gonna feel like an actual school acceptance when I get in. 😂

LMAO! I honestly don't know the criteria for letting people in because it's so slow.

49 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

1a/1w/0r/11p

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And yes, I would absolutely forget the remaining schools not yet applied to!

The posts referred to were not made directly on Draft but on the linked response sheet (spreadsheet).

48 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

The funding application is due on Feb 1, and it says a requirement for a graduate assistantship is a bachelors in English or related field, which I don’t have. Kind of disappointed to say the least. Oh well, that was $45 down the drain! 

Bummer. That's so annoying. If I could find the strength to apply, I'd still power through, though. Let the ball be in their court since the money's already spent. You're almost at the finish line.

28 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

University of Oregon acceptances/waitlists are popping up in Draft, at least for fiction. I've noticed that the last 20 results on the spreadsheet are all for fiction... are the poetry people just not submitting their results or is every program just lagging behind on the poetry decisions lol

IT'S HAPPENING!!

This is so exciting but also terrifying. Damn, why did my brain just remind me of a cringey faux pas line I wrote in my SOP? The anxiety is getting *worser*, Lol.

As to why poetry responses aren't being reported at the same rates, it could be because in most programs, poetry and fiction are run by different internal administrators, so the calendars for notification might differ by genre.

10 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I am over here trying to triangulate between when notifications came out last year versus this year so far to predict when I might hear something from additional programs while trying to not completely lose it. 

0a/1r/0w/11p

It’s so nerve wracking! I told myself I’d apply again if I don’t get in anywhere this year, but I don’t know if I can go through this again. 

1 hour ago, triciadawn said:

We’ll, if no one else will say it, I will - they’re dicks. 
that sort of thing should be right up front. 
having said that, I stick to my original advice. Reach out and make the phone call. First, because I’ve had to do it other places and they acknowledged conflicting information and set it straight. Second, because there are no safety schools in this game. 

1 hour ago, ssuunn said:

UGH it's like these programs really do just make the poets wait and suffer longer...as if we aren't already tortured poets. lol 

1 hour ago, ssuunn said:

Are the Oregon results from today and do you remember how many you saw? I'm not in the cool kids Draft club yet 😓

16 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

Are the Oregon results from today and do you remember how many you saw? I'm not in the cool kids Draft club yet 😓

There are two currently on draft, both are from today and both are waitlists notifications.

Edited by Southron

3 minutes ago, Southron said:

There are two currently on draft, both are today and both waitlists notifications.

Ahhh okay thanks for the intel! Do we think that means acceptances have already gone out? Or is it a myth that waitlist notifs always come after acceptances?

does anyone know if brown or nyu do interviews for their poetry program? i have found conflicting info on forums vs the website / lack of info 😶‍🌫️😩

like for example— brown’s website says they do not offer interviews for candidates but I’m pretty saw i saw different/ conflicting info on gradcafe forums / gradcafe results page!

just curious if anyone knows more info on this😖

2 minutes ago, bluespruce said:

There's a fiction acceptance for Oregon on Draft in addition to those waitlists. Makes me think they might have already sent out all good news.

Ah, you're right, took me a while to see it since I was sorting by date of notification (they put 2023 in for the year).

15 minutes ago, Southron said:

There are two currently on draft, both are from today and both are waitlists notifications.

Did someone say there are 20 Oregon  notifications on draft? I couldn’t understand such a high number when they only accept 6-8 fiction seats. Can Anyone shed any light? I’m so confused