2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

23 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

I know it’s been so quiet this year compared to previous cycles! Best of luck to you too! Where did you apply? 

Thank you! I applied to JHU, UT Austin, UVA, Brown, NYU, Cornell, Mississippi, WUSTL, Vanderbilt, UW-Madison, Iowa, and Michigan. They all start notifying between February and March, so I have a bit of a wait ahead.

2 hours ago, sunnysequoia said:

Hello everyone! Lovely to see fellow nonfiction candidates here. I'm nearly 27, five years out of undergrad where I completed my B.A. in English with a Creative Writing Emphasis, and a first-time applicant.

I'm applying to what may be an excessive number of 16 programs LOL. I was torn between pragmatically wanting full funding and the fantasy of pursuing my writing dreams in New York. Even after acknowledging that it wouldn't be smart to pursue an MFA in a program where I'd be worrying about outrageously high living costs and massive debt, I couldn't bring myself to not apply to my New York schools. In the end, I figured I might as well apply, and if I get in, I can decide then whether I can make it work.

My fully funded schools are: UMass Amherst, Rutgers U Camden (full funding available but not guaranteed), U of Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Miami U, U of Minnesota, U of Iowa, Wash U St. Louis, U of Arizona, and Oregon State. The rest are Sarah Lawrence, Hunter College, NYU, The New School, U of San Francisco, and SF State. (I did rule out Columbia due to the enormous class size, lack of funding, and ludicrous $110 application fee. The last was also the case for NYU, and I applied there only after I received a fee waiver for another school. I decided that I wasn't going to apply to two schools with such an exorbitantly high fee that they feel entitled to charge just because they are a private, for-profit university, and I preferred NYU over Columbia.)

I'm three-quarters of the way done with my applications. Only ones left are Rutgers, Hunter, USF, and SFSU with deadlines through mid-February. I'm so mentally checked out at this point that I'm just not stressing over my remaining ones LOL, especially since 3 of them are for non-fully funded programs. I likely won't apply to them on the off chance that I am accepted into any fully funded program before their respective deadlines.

Good luck to everyone in this process!

0a/0w/0r/12p/4 still applying 🙃

That's a very nice mix of schools. Good luck!

Since this is my first year applying, and there’s a chance I end up with 0 acceptances, I have been thinking about what my “back up” plans will be. I applied to a teaching fellowship abroad but was rejected so I’m a bit stumped. I’m 3, almost 4, years out of undergrad and I’ve been working. I plan to resign in June regardless of the grad school outcome. Of course, I could find another job and work even harder on my applications next cycle. I’m curious as to everyone else’s ideas and plans. Do you have a “back up” if grad school falls through this time around?

1 hour ago, pomelo said:

Since this is my first year applying, and there’s a chance I end up with 0 acceptances, I have been thinking about what my “back up” plans will be. I applied to a teaching fellowship abroad but was rejected so I’m a bit stumped. I’m 3, almost 4, years out of undergrad and I’ve been working. I plan to resign in June regardless of the grad school outcome. Of course, I could find another job and work even harder on my applications next cycle. I’m curious as to everyone else’s ideas and plans. Do you have a “back up” if grad school falls through this time around?

Haha... I wish I knew.

I'm only one year out of undergrad, so I'm living with my parents to save money. I'd really, really like to move out of my empty little hometown and start working towards positions in academia, and getting into grad school would help me do that. But this is also my first year applying, and, again, I'm only one year out of undergrad, so it's scary to know that it's very likely I won't get in at any of the ten unis I applied for. 

My current back-ups are just to go do something unprecedented. I'm thinking I'll apply to become a flight attendant or try to teach English abroad or go work on a big fishing vessel in Alaska or something. I desperately need new experiences (and money lol) and I'm tired of feeling 'stuck' in the place I grew up. Also, I think it'd benefit my writing to 'put myself out there.'

My 'plan' probably isn't the smartest, but yeah. 

3 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Haha... I wish I knew.

I'm only one year out of undergrad, so I'm living with my parents to save money. I'd really, really like to move out of my empty little hometown and start working towards positions in academia, and getting into grad school would help me do that. But this is also my first year applying, and, again, I'm only one year out of undergrad, so it's scary to know that it's very likely I won't get in at any of the ten unis I applied for. 

My current back-ups are just to go do something unprecedented. I'm thinking I'll apply to become a flight attendant or try to teach English abroad or go work on a big fishing vessel in Alaska or something. I desperately need new experiences (and money lol) and I'm tired of feeling 'stuck' in the place I grew up. Also, I think it'd benefit my writing to 'put myself out there.'

My 'plan' probably isn't the smartest, but yeah. 

Based on the amount of years out of undergrad alone, I think your likelihood of getting in is as good as mine. Which is to say, don’t count yourself out! Plenty of people are applying straight out of undergrad. 

I feel very similarly to you. I am resigning from my job because I’m ready for something new. But I don’t want to work another 9-5 for another year. I think enriching your life with travel and new experiences is valuable, necessary even, for our growth—especially our growth as writers! If grad school doesn’t pan out, I would love to live abroad. It may not be the most practical or “smart” choice, but I feel I’ve been playing it safe for the past 3-4 years (in large part due to the pandemic) and I’m ready for an adventure. 

2 hours ago, pomelo said:

Not a backup plan in the career sense, but if I don’t get in this cycle, I’m going to REALLY throw myself into getting in the best shape of my life. My last year has been consumed with MFA apps, finishing undergrad, and researching programs, so my diet hasn’t been the best... I want to get back into cooking more at home, get back into therapy  and have an exercise routine. Edit: I was going to do all this stuff anyway mfa or not lol. But if I don’t get in this year, at least I won’t have the added stress of grad school!

It’s also my first year applying, so I feel you. :( 

Edited by triciadawn

56 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Based on the amount of years out of undergrad alone, I think your likelihood of getting in is as good as mine. Which is to say, don’t count yourself out! Plenty of people are applying straight out of undergrad. 

I feel very similarly to you. I am resigning from my job because I’m ready for something new. But I don’t want to work another 9-5 for another year. I think enriching your life with travel and new experiences is valuable, necessary even, for our growth—especially our growth as writers! If grad school doesn’t pan out, I would love to live abroad. It may not be the most practical or “smart” choice, but I feel I’ve been playing it safe for the past 3-4 years (in large part due to the pandemic) and I’m ready for an adventure. 

Well, I'm hoping for the best for both of us:) 

You're right--getting out there is a valuable, enriching experience. I think it'd also improve our applications for next year, if we need to go through another cycle (hopefully not!). I've felt similarly stagnated by a 9-5 and COVID. I hope you get admitted!! But if not, I hope you're able to try something new and have an adventure! 

50 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Not a backup plan in the career sense, but if I don’t get in this cycle, I’m going to REALLY throw myself into getting in the best shape of my life. My last year has been consumed with MFA apps, finishing undergrad, and researching programs, so my diet hasn’t been the best... I want to get back into cooking more at home, get back into therapy  and have an exercise routine. Edit: I was going to do all this stuff anyway mfa or not lol. But if I don’t get in this year, at least I won’t have the added stress of grad school!

It’s also my first year applying, so I feel you. :( 

That's a really noble goal to have. Good luck!! I'm hoping you get into all the programs you've applied for!

COVID and senior year of undergrad really set me back on health. I've been on a self-improvement journey motivated by the possibility of grad school. Down 40lbs so far... But the 'waiting' period of hearing back from schools is really testing me. I'm even more stressed now than when I was actively applying. 😅

hey all!

Just wanted to say hi and that i'm here to anxiously wait with ya'll. I applied to 12 fully funded programs in fiction (ol miss, bama, lsu, etc, etc). Next two months will be tough! This is my first round applying, and i'm quite a few years out of undergrad.

I went with two short stories for my portfolio, one being a satirical comedy that's not just pure literary fiction, so this might have hurt my apps at the more conventional programs. It felt like my strongest writing though!

3 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Congrats!!! Maybe you can check with Amherst vets on Draft? 

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm a shy snail and don't like posting on Facebook with my real name ヽ༼◉ل͜◉༽ノ. That said, I'm guessing it's about teaching, given previous Draft comments.

1 hour ago, aurqcyei said:

Hi all -- just wanted to chime in and mention I got an interview invite for Amherst -- did anyone else receive one? I'm checking previous Draft groups to see what they typically ask, but unsure. 

0A/1W/20P 

Congrats!!!

3 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

Does anyone know (or have a rough estimate) how many spots per genre Ohio State and Oregon accept?  I know Ohio state says on their site it’s closer to 30 but I thought it was smaller than that.

Poets and Writers says the incoming class size for Ohio State is 12-16. For Oregon State, it says 10-14. 

1 hour ago, strawberry.0000 said:

Congrats!!!!! Can I ask what genre you applied for? 

I applied for poetry track and haven't heard anything back!

Thanks! I applied for fiction. I think there might be a poetry interview noted in this year's Draft spreadsheet just now. Hoping you hear something back! 

38 minutes ago, nataliezimm said:

I also applied to Amherst (fiction) and haven’t heard anything yet. Do you know if they do interviews in rounds, or if they invite the people they want to interview all at once? 

No idea, honestly. Judging from last year's posts in Draft, it's a little ambiguous when people got their emails (could be rolling emails over 1-2 days). Hopefully it's spread out over a few days and you get an email soon! 

52 minutes ago, DanielNiver said:

Just wanted to update here that I received an Ohio State acceptance for CNF for those who applied to that genre. Hoping for good news for others.

YAY, congratulations!!!!!

6 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

Just wanted to update here that I received an Ohio State acceptance for CNF for those who applied to that genre. Hoping for good news for others.

Congratulations! I’m really hoping I hear from them soon, it’s my top program 😭 my portal still says pending. Did your portal change before or after they called/emailed you with the news? 

also do you know how many CNF applicants they are admitting this year? 

Hello everyone! It's only just January but I'm already going a little crazy from the waiting since universities have started sending out notifications. The forum seems less active this year than the previous years but regardless I hope we can cheer each other on and get through this together!

I just had a quick question! On the Draft, people have said that they've received waitlist emails for both fiction and poetry from UIUC. I'm wondering whether UIUC has already sent their acceptances then? I'm a first-time applicant so I'm not too sure about how it all works, but as far as I remember reading from previous years' forums, I know schools usually send out waitlists after acceptances...so I'm just a bit confused.

I'm already expecting rejections across the board but I wanted to know whether I should count UIUC off or hold onto hope (vainly really) for it since only waitlist notifications have gone out. 

49 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

Hello everyone! It's only just January but I'm already going a little crazy from the waiting since universities have started sending out notifications. The forum seems less active this year than the previous years but regardless I hope we can cheer each other on and get through this together!

I just had a quick question! On the Draft, people have said that they've received waitlist emails for both fiction and poetry from UIUC. I'm wondering whether UIUC has already sent their acceptances then? I'm a first-time applicant so I'm not too sure about how it all works, but as far as I remember reading from previous years' forums, I know schools usually send out waitlists after acceptances...so I'm just a bit confused.

I'm already expecting rejections across the board but I wanted to know whether I should count UIUC off or hold onto hope (vainly really) for it since only waitlist notifications have gone out. 

Two people on draft have reported acceptances from UIUC. And if you check the recently created response sheet, you should find more details.

Can't say if they're done notifying those accepted, but fingers crossed everything works out for you! Hang in there, we're many in the waiting game.

Edited by Chex

39 minutes ago, Chex said:

Two people on draft have reported acceptances from UIUC. And if you check the recently created response sheet, you should find more details.

Can't say if they're done notifying those accepted, but fingers crossed everything works out for you! Hang in there, we're many in the waiting game.

Oh, I somehow seemed to have missed that! I also hadn't realised that Jess updated the 2024 response sheet. Thank you so much for letting me know, really appreciate it. 

Is everyone else finding it as difficult to focus as I am? I've made barely any progress on my writing projects and at work, all I can think about is edits I should've made to my SOPs. 

Is everyone else neurotically refreshing Facebook, Gradcafe, and Gmail? Or just me? 😅