2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten acceptances so far!! It's been exciting to watch you guys get one step closer to your dreams. Hugs for all of you guys! 

Just thought I'd share this quote/music lyrics with everyone as well. It's pretty inspiring and comforting!

"May your trials end in full bloom. Though your beginnings might be humble, may your end be prosperous."

3 hours ago, ee921488 said:

Here’s some tea. one of my best friends goes to vanderbilt for poetry and she talked to one of the people who decides (didi) and she said they hadn’t made a decision yet so…i guess people lie on some forums? for fun? 😭😭

I definitely feel played with now 🥺 . I appreciate you sharing this. 

Edited by GoldenTree

Hi everyone!!!

CONGRATULATIONS to those of you who have received waitlists and acceptances!!! That's wonderful and I'm so so happy for you all!

I was wondering if anyone could share gift ideas for recommenders? I feel so grateful and honestly pretty indebted to them, but I have no clue what to get! 

5 hours ago, Rixor said:

Hi everyone!!!

CONGRATULATIONS to those of you who have received waitlists and acceptances!!! That's wonderful and I'm so so happy for you all!

I was wondering if anyone could share gift ideas for recommenders? I feel so grateful and honestly pretty indebted to them, but I have no clue what to get! 

I think this mainly depends on what kind of person you're recommender is. Some of them might not be "gift" people per se, so just write them a long letter and throw in a nice card in that case. Otherwise, food items like chocolates, coffee or tea packets/jars etc might also work. If they're book lovers, find a book they might enjoy reading-- if they are professors, maybe something in their area of research might also interest them. If you know the recommender really well, something more personal like a scarf or bag (tote or handbag etc) or jewellery (if they're people who like wearing jewellery) or if they belong to a certain culture and you have something specific to their culture they might like, for example, clothes. Otherwise even decor/ showcase pieces, something small and not easily breakable would do. I'm sure there are a lot of other ideas to consider, but these are some that I had since I've been looking at some options for my recommenders as well. 

Edited by saramsarang

9 hours ago, Rixor said:

Hi everyone!!!

There were some good ideas shared on Draft about gifting recommenders. Search with the keyword "gift" and you you should see some of them.

3 hours ago, Tomatotomato53 said:

Oh my gosh, my draft member request has been pending for like two days. I’m getting nervous, and it’s not even for an application LOL

Did you answer the entrance questions? There are about three questions they ask on the form when you request to join. If you answered them then just be patient, they'll approve your request soon enough. 

14 hours ago, ee921488 said:

Here’s some tea. one of my best friends goes to vanderbilt for poetry and she talked to one of the people who decides (didi) and she said they hadn’t made a decision yet so…i guess people lie on some forums? for fun? 😭😭

Ugh. Why are people like this?

1 hour ago, Chex said:

There were some good ideas shared on Draft about gifting recommenders. Search with the keyword "gift" and you you should see some of them.

Did you answer the entrance questions? There are about three questions they ask on the form when you request to join. If you answered them then just be patient, they'll approve your request soon enough. 

Yup, I answered everything. Starting to wonder if I should message an admin….

I'm new to GradCafe and have applied to eight MFA creative writing fiction programs, including Brown, UCSD, Boston, Notre Dame, UF, USF, UNLV, and Rutgers-Camden. I've spent a lot of time here tracking results. I notice many discussions about 'draft', but I'm not familiar with it. Could you please advise me on how to use this platform more effectively?

5 minutes ago, Tomatotomato53 said:

uggh, I can’t attach a screenshot here, but Facebook shows the draft group hasn’t added any new members in a week…

it took me about a week to get accepted!! and i was accepted like 3 days ago!

25 minutes ago, Reduwanul Hoque said:

I'm new to GradCafe and have applied to eight MFA creative writing fiction programs, including Brown, UCSD, Boston, Notre Dame, UF, USF, UNLV, and Rutgers-Camden. I've spent a lot of time here tracking results. I notice many discussions about 'draft', but I'm not familiar with it. Could you please advise me on how to use this platform more effectively?

its a facebook group! if you look up MFA Draft ‘24 on facebook, you’ll be able to request to join! there’s lots of resources (like the spreadsheets) and discussion going on through there as well

Edited by goldentulip
more info

12 hours ago, Rixor said:

Hi everyone!!!

I'm planning to bake banana bread/cookies/brownies for my recommenders — I hope they will feel more comfortable accepting them since I didn't technically purchase the gifts! Otherwise, I will buy them coffee/lunch after the decisions are out.

29 minutes ago, goldentulip said:

it took me about a week to get accepted!! and i was accepted like 3 days ago!

its a facebook group! if you look up MFA Draft ‘24 on facebook, you’ll be able to request to join! there’s lots of resources (like the spreadsheets) and discussion going on through there as well

Thanks. I just requested to join the group.

What if we don’t know our recommenders well? Will a handwritten thank you note suffice? I also thought about visiting their offices personally, but I’ve been out of that college for about 6 years now. 

Edited by triciadawn

1 hour ago, Tomatotomato53 said:

Yup, I answered everything. Starting to wonder if I should message an admin….

45 minutes ago, Tomatotomato53 said:

uggh, I can’t attach a screenshot here, but Facebook shows the draft group hasn’t added any new members in a week…

No need, they'll approve it soon enough. They're just not extremely quick with it. They actually have added people this week. I guess Facebook doesn't show much information to non-members. Come to think of it, I'd say check again and confirm that you requested to join MFA Draft '24. There are other Draft groups for previous years. You have to request to join the right one.

3 minutes ago, Chex said:

No need, they'll approve it soon enough. They're just not extremely quick with it. They actually have added people this week. I guess Facebook doesn't show much information to non-members. Come to think of it, I'd say check again and confirm that you requested to join MFA Draft '24. There are other Draft groups for previous years. You have to request to join the right one.

screenshot from 11:21am

https://ibb.co/0Y3ZtSC

14 hours ago, Rixor said:

Hi everyone!!!

I think gift cards to a local bookstore would be a universally safe and thoughtful gift! :) 

I missed a call from an unknown number today... this shit has me frantically googling area codes like never before. I know speculation like this is silly and useless but it's got me thinking – does the area code even tell you anything? I'm assuming that there's not usually some kind of Designated Landline in the admissions office to inform admitted students, instead the department faculty probably just volunteers on a case-by case basis– don't they probably just use their cell phones anyway? I've been more curious about admissions procedures than ever before lately. It's a different vibe than waiting for a call about a job offer, or getting into undergrad. It really feels like the decision means something about the quality of my work. Idk. Just spouting thoughts on a Wednesday