2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

10 minutes ago, Rixor said:

I keep thinking about how much time I spend refreshing this forum, Draft, my email, and the Results page. I don't even consciously do it at this point. It's muscle memory. I wonder how much time I'll free up once this is all over.

Same 😅 work is going to suck a lot more again when I’m not using it as a distraction from the stress and endless waiting

In regards to the UTK waitlist, someone on Draft posted an email last year in which a staff member at UTK told them the waitlist was 83 people long. But that was last year.

In any case, my UTK waitlist notification was pretty boilerplate, so I wouldn't be surprised if the waitlist is super long. I think in many cases when a program is super serious about waitlisted candidates they make an effort to connect with those folks on a more personal level. My partner is a DGS for another discipline, and he actually sets up virtual meetings with waitlisted candidates his program is serious about! And those meetings matter, because he gathers a lot more information about candidates from talking to them in real time. 

That's not to say it's not validating to be waitlisted. It is. It's worth something, even if we don't get in. Somebody thought our writing was good enough for their program. I will take it as a sign of encouragement!

Also, I don't think UTK is super high up in the rankings, so they need to have a long waitlist. Or at least that's my understanding. Maybe I don't have access to all the rankings, but I think UTK is pretty average as far as rankings go? That's what I would say in their defense. 

18 minutes ago, Rixor said:

I keep thinking about how much time I spend refreshing this forum, Draft, my email, and the Results page. I don't even consciously do it at this point. It's muscle memory. I wonder how much time I'll free up once this is all over.

Yep, I'm in the same boat 🤣 I think I've slowed down my compulsive checking a little, but every time I go to open the Draft spreadsheet on mobile it still says "you often open around this time..." At least I've learned that the weekends are usually quieter and only check like, 3 times a day then.

6 minutes ago, writernity said:

Yep, I'm in the same boat 🤣 I think I've slowed down my compulsive checking a little, but every time I go to open the Draft spreadsheet on mobile it still says "you often open around this time..." At least I've learned that the weekends are usually quieter and only check like, 3 times a day then.

I've been checking constantly but the way I'm justifying it is that I'm spending less time scrolling social media since I'm on here instead. Shhhhh, let me cope...

23 minutes ago, SarahRuth said:

In regards to the UTK waitlist, someone on Draft posted an email last year in which a staff member at UTK told them the waitlist was 83 people long. But that was last year.

In any case, my UTK waitlist notification was pretty boilerplate, so I wouldn't be surprised if the waitlist is super long. I think in many cases when a program is super serious about waitlisted candidates they make an effort to connect with those folks on a more personal level. My partner is a DGS for another discipline, and he actually sets up virtual meetings with waitlisted candidates his program is serious about! And those meetings matter, because he gathers a lot more information about candidates from talking to them in real time. 

That's not to say it's not validating to be waitlisted. It is. It's worth something, even if we don't get in. Somebody thought our writing was good enough for their program. I will take it as a sign of encouragement!

Also, I don't think UTK is super high up in the rankings, so they need to have a long waitlist. Or at least that's my understanding. Maybe I don't have access to all the rankings, but I think UTK is pretty average as far as rankings go? That's what I would say in their defense. 

Yeah, even within the two programs I’ve been waitlisted for, one of the emails was a lot less personal, and still hasn’t responded to the email I sent back last week, whereas the other responded promptly and offered to make time to talk to me about the program and  my plans and any questions or concerns I had, and I suspect this has a lot to do with the length of these respective schools’ waitlists.

Aight sorry everyone. Super-specific tiny question. Was gonna ask on Draft but I got scared.

Let's say you get waitlisted at your dream program. You'd like to email back expressing your gratitude and excitement.

Is saying, "X school is my dream program" okay? Or is that too wistful and unprofessional?

Is saying, "X school is my top-choice program," okay? Or does that come across as entitled or arrogant?

I'm an anxious mess, I know. Thank you all! 

1 minute ago, Rixor said:

Aight sorry everyone. Super-specific tiny question. Was gonna ask on Draft but I got scared.

Let's say you get waitlisted at your dream program. You'd like to email back expressing your gratitude and excitement.

Is saying, "X school is my dream program" okay? Or is that too wistful and unprofessional?

Is saying, "X school is my top-choice program," okay? Or does that come across as entitled or arrogant?

I’d say whichever one comes more honestly to you. As long as you mean it in good faith, I think it can be beneficial if they know you wouldn’t turn a potential spot down for anything else were it to come your way.

3 minutes ago, Rixor said:

I don't think it hurts to say "X is my top choice and would accept an offer if admitted from the waitlist" (if you actually would). I said this to my top choice and they said that it was very helpful to know.

11 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Many people seem to be recommending saying exactly that, that it's your top choice! I'm not sure how much of an impact it actually has, but it wouldn't be a negative one.

Hi all.  I'm second guessing my decision to apply to MFA programs at all.  I am an older applicant and I have an established career and kids.  I can't move, so I applied to the four programs within driving distance of my house.  None of these programs are fully funded.  I don't think they're very competitive.  Some of the professors are people I would happily work with, I just wonder if I'd do better staying in writing workshops rather than attending a program with a mediocre reputation and paying high tuition (which I am very lucky to be able to afford..... if anybody can really afford $30k for a degree that doesn't guarantee a steady job).  Anybody here in this position?  

3 minutes ago, Srs2024 said:

Hi all.  I'm second guessing my decision to apply to MFA programs at all.  I am an older applicant and I have an established career and kids.  I can't move, so I applied to the four programs within driving distance of my house.  None of these programs are fully funded.  I don't think they're very competitive.  Some of the professors are people I would happily work with, I just wonder if I'd do better staying in writing workshops rather than attending a program with a mediocre reputation and paying high tuition (which I am very lucky to be able to afford..... if anybody can really afford $30k for a degree that doesn't guarantee a steady job).  Anybody here in this position?  

Similar situation to you except I just prefer to live in a bigger city. I know I would be miserable in a rural area like where I'm at now. I'm willing to make that sacrifice for somewhere like Iowa, of course. I don't know if I should move back to NYC, for an MFA or not, or take one of the less competitive offers in a town I'll hate. I'm curious to see what others will suggest! 

13 minutes ago, Srs2024 said:

not sure if you have applied to any, but maybe you would be a good fit for a low-residency MFA program? that way you can take classes at home and your options aren't limited geographically, but you'd still get the experience of some in-person workshops. if you're in the Draft FB group, I believe there was a thread a few days ago with low res programs still accepting apps

Edited by girlgenius

16 minutes ago, Srs2024 said:

I guess it sort of depends on what you're looking to obtain from the MFA experience and/or degree that you couldn't through doing summer writing workshops. It's harder to land an agent without the degree, true, but not impossible. You can definitely find other writers in your community or nearby if its camaraderie and feedback that you're looking for. Personally, spending $30k for the degree seems too high when you could spread that out over many summers attending workshops for a fraction of the price.

2 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

also does anyone know when Wyoming or Idaho typically notify? Not much data on the draft spreadsheet from last year.

Idaho sent out acceptances on 3/2 last year, but it might've been delayed due to budget stuff / not knowing how many spots they could offer per genre.

Edited by ssuunn

46 minutes ago, Srs2024 said:

I think it's a good idea to invest in your writing, and it'll surely require more self-extension from you than from a younger, less settled applicant. It's great that you're willing and able to pay for this investment, BUT I don't think a $30k MFA program you feel tepid about is the way to go. That's not cheap at all. I would look more into workshops for starters, and finding avenues to link with other writers with similar goals. Apart from the regular workshops, there are great periodic workshops like Tin House and Clarion West and quite a few others. Build your muscle, see what works for you. 

I might also consider a great low-res program like Bennington or Antioch. I've heard good things about them. Only if I'm certain I truly want the full-res experience at a nearby school I'm happy with would I commit to it and pay. You have to do what works for you. Consider your options thoroughly. You're never too old to go for an MFA if you decide that's what's right for you. 

Edited by Chex

1 hour ago, Rixor said:

Love this. I'd probably say "dream school". It's always better to assume a lower position and err on the side of looking a little silly

4 hours ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in anywhere or been waitlisted!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how waitlists at Iowa work? Because I know they call acceptances but mail out rejections. Do they mail out waitlists as well?

Hello @InfernalDesireMachines Iowa waitlisted me for fiction 2 years ago. Around March 10th(ish?) they emailed to let me know, but when the official "you've been waitlisted" letter came in the mail about a week later, it was postmarked March 1st, so I guess that was around the time they made their official decisions(?) They were very kind, though it ended up being a rejection 

21 minutes ago, Srs2024 said:

Hey there. I am in the same boat. Older, kids, career. And I'm international, so it'd be a huge deal to go for an MFA. That said, i applied to two programmes. But the thing is that I can't go anyways, at least not this year, even if I do get in. I do think it's possible to write without an MFA. Of course, an MFA provides community, time, structure, etc. but these are things one can get without being in an expensive, life-uprooting programme. I have heard that it is very difficult to get an agent without an MFA, but I also hear that getting an agent should not be the main motivation to get an MFA. So yeah, kinda contradictory and probably no help. I enrolled in a Gotham Writers Workshop. I know a writing workshop is not the same as a 2-year programme, but I'm hoping it'll help deal with the disappointment, and it'll be fun too! 

22 minutes ago, alligator mississippiensis said:

Hello @InfernalDesireMachines Iowa waitlisted me for fiction 2 years ago. Around March 10th(ish?) they emailed to let me know, but when the official "you've been waitlisted" letter came in the mail about a week later, it was postmarked March 1st, so I guess that was around the time they made their official decisions(?) They were very kind, though it ended up being a rejection 

Just out of curiosity, did they offer comments on your manuscript?

1 hour ago, Srs2024 said:

Sorry if it sounds like cliche but I would ask myself what I'm really looking for in a writing workshop. If, say, you already know and/or love some people at the program, is there another way to work with them so you can connect better and spend less money? These are questions I ask myself as i'm in a kinda similar situation.

I think end of the day people you meet in a program is the only thing that matters.

As for reputation, ofc it's a great thing but it's not free. e.g. the way I read the very kind and truthful rejection email from UMich ("We must make fine distinctions among highly qualified applicants, many of whom could be successful in our program") is that it's a heavily "involuted" market and it's a lot of hard labor to get yourself out of that "fine distinction", based on their criteria (i'm assuming none of us is some Mozart kind of genius).

I got the impression that doing an MFA out of your own pocket is something viewed as undignified (?) but I'd say if that's sth that gives you joy and you really want it and can easily afford it then why not? It sounds like a much better (and more cool / eccentric /foolish) than a new car or whatever :)

Edited by mangojalapeno

1 minute ago, jadedoptimist said:

Just out of curiosity, did they offer comments on your manuscript?

They did not, though I did not take advantage of their SASE option that year. Under supplemental information in the portal, they have the option to include a SASE. ("If you wish to have your manuscript sent back to you please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with the correct postage.") I did that this year, and I'm very curious what they'll write on there if anything. 

20 minutes ago, writercl said:

saw on the draft that one person got waitlisted for Michener Center for Writers (Poetry), has anyone gotten accepted for poetry yet?

No one's posted directly, but it seems like they're going out or have already --

On 2/20/2024 at 10:51 AM, AngusWanderer said:

Also, I've heard from a reliable source that Michener just sent out the first poetry acceptance (not me). Fingers crossed for everyone. I do hope someone here gets in! 

Edited by jadedoptimist