2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

1 hour ago, pomelo said:

Is it weird I thought I’d get into Iowa because I saw an Iowa sweatshirt in a thrift store in my hometown (in North Carolina absolutely nowhere near Iowa) back in December? Then again, in January, I saw a guy in Philly wearing a UMass Amherst sweatshirt and thought that was a sign too - haven’t heard a peep from either school. Lol.

Not weird at all. I've drawn meaning from various signs and symbols throughout this period. Even dates and numbers have been significant to me. I don't remember exactly why now, but a few weeks ago I thought the number 7 would mean something good re my applications. In my optimism, I first thought I'd get in or be waitlisted in 7 places. When the rejections started coming, I thought it meant I'd get into the 7th school I applied to or the 7th in my personal tracking table (coincidentally both Vandy, one of my top choices). When that didn't happen, I began to think maybe it meant I'd be rejected in 7 places and have the rest be good news. That's not looking like it now. Anyway, the 7th school that got back to me directly happens to be NYU and it was an acceptance. No one said we had to be logical about this whole process. We're entitled to our feelings and fantasies, if nothing else. I still have other vibes and feelings I can't speak about yet.

42 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

The amount of bliss I just experienced deleting my "2025 MFA Application" spreadsheet because I will no longer need it...

Love that for you! I'm still in limbo...

17 minutes ago, Chex said:

Not weird at all. I've drawn meaning from various signs and symbols throughout this period. Even dates and numbers have been significant to me. I don't remember exactly why now, but a few weeks ago I thought the number 7 would mean something good re my applications. In my optimism, I first thought I'd get in or be waitlisted in 7 places. When the rejections started coming, I thought it meant I'd get into the 7th school I applied to or the 7th in my personal tracking table (coincidentally both Vandy, one of my top choices). When that didn't happen, I began to think maybe it meant I'd be rejected in 7 places and have the rest be good news. That's not looking like it now. Anyway, the 7th school that got back to me directly happens to be NYU and it was an acceptance. No one said we had to be logical about this whole process. We're entitled to our feelings and fantasies, if nothing else. I still have other vibes and feelings I can't speak about yet.

There is something special about that number 7! 

1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

Not weird at all. Signs are all around us...  Last summer, leading up to application season, I found an Iowa stamp fridge magnet with a cornfield and a tractor on it. I've kept it since and I've been trying to imbue it with positive energy to boost my chances of acceptance through manifestation😂

Why do I kinda want that magnet now?!

Thank you both for sharing. So interesting to hear what signs have popped up for other people. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one thinking like this. I’m not ordinarily superstitious (not sure if that’s the right word but anyway) but this process has been full of so many unknowns, I can’t seem to help but be! 

11 hours ago, Rixor said:

Site is officially completely unusable for me. Too many malware risks. I can't even stay on the page for too long before my anti-virus forcibly redirects me. Talk to you guys later, I guess. Wishing y'all all the best in the meantime.

The hacks keep coming 😭 it seems to be safe for now, but every time it starts getting dicey again I close out for the day.

I'm not a very superstitious person myself, but I still compulsively find the nearest wood to knock on whenever I mention anything about my grad school hopes 🤣 Little rituals and looking for signs are a natural human thing to keep our brains sane in the uncertainty and stress of this process.

Hi all! Notre Dame notified me on the 27th that I was waitlisted but there was no mention of an interview. Can anyone provide insight on what that means or what my chances are? It's the only school I applied to so this is nerve wracking. 😂

Nothing from my two places just yet, but they have already begun calling people so I'm in acceptance of any outcome. 

My friend overdosed and passed away 8 days ago, so that's been a big reason why I've lost interest in these applications.

Y'all, don't beat yourself up too much throughout this process; there's no point to your suffering.

4 minutes ago, DayOld711Pizza said:

Nothing from my two places just yet, but they have already begun calling people so I'm in acceptance of any outcome. 

My friend overdosed and passed away 8 days ago, so that's been a big reason why I've lost interest in these applications.

Y'all, don't beat yourself up too much throughout this process; there's no point to your suffering.

I'm sorry for your loss.<3

27 minutes ago, WritingMom said:

Hi all! Notre Dame notified me on the 27th that I was waitlisted but there was no mention of an interview. Can anyone provide insight on what that means or what my chances are? It's the only school I applied to so this is nerve wracking. 😂

What genre are you? From what I can see on the Draft spreadsheet, fiction applicants reported interviews mid February and subsequently reported acceptances late February. If you were waitlisted but not interviewed, I don't think there's anything more for you to do except email the school with thanks and your strong desire to attend and any questions you have. Some schools interview only those they're immediately accepting and waitlist the remaining few they want. 

24 minutes ago, DayOld711Pizza said:

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please take care of yourself as best as you can. ❤️ 

Hey, fellow apps. First post this year. I'm also waiting on news from UCR. I'm applying to the Fiction cohort this year. It's my second round... I applied a couple of years ago after the deadline and didn't get in. Like most of us I was naive, and hoping to get a critique from the professors (was it the samples, the deadline, logistical etc.) but nope. No comments. It was unrealistic to think I'd get comments back in the first place. So, after a really difficult Spring and Fall, I picked my work back up and reapplied for this year, on time, with over a year's worth of work on my samples. I didn't join the draft on FB this time, because it was pretty hard to go through all of that the first time. Honestly, anxiety is still bad, especially as we get closer to mid-March lol. However staying off the Draft means I have no idea when the offers are going to start posting and... probably like all of us, the wait is taking up a lot of space in my life and I'm finally giving in lol. I saw there was a post about poetry... Has anyone heard anything from Fiction? Best of luck comrades. 

2 minutes ago, Lewdactz said:

Hey, fellow apps. First post this year. I'm also waiting on news from UCR. I'm applying to the Fiction cohort this year. It's my second round... I applied a couple of years ago after the deadline and didn't get in. Like most of us I was naive, and hoping to get a critique from the professors (was it the samples, the deadline, logistical etc.) but nope. No comments. It was unrealistic to think I'd get comments back in the first place. So, after a really difficult Spring and Fall, I picked my work back up and reapplied for this year, on time, with over a year's worth of work on my samples. I didn't join the draft on FB this time, because it was pretty hard to go through all of that the first time. Honestly, anxiety is still bad, especially as we get closer to mid-March lol. However staying off the Draft means I have no idea when the offers are going to start posting and... probably like all of us, the wait is taking up a lot of space in my life and I'm finally giving in lol. I saw there was a post about poetry... Has anyone heard anything from Fiction? Best of luck comrades. 

From draft it looks like UCR’s waitlist went out earlier this week, so its looking like soft rejections for everyone who hasn’t heard back yet. (I’m in that boat too.)

If we haven't been invited for an interview at Rutgers-Newark, is it safe to say we've been rejected?

18 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Great news. I just got a call from Iowa City with an acceptance!

Also, massive congratulations @Scribe!

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

Great news. I just got a call from Iowa City with an acceptance!

Wait, what? You’re calling from Florida Atlantic, you just have an Iowa number?

you know what? I can live with that. 

28 minutes ago, epr said:

From draft it looks like UCR’s waitlist went out earlier this week, so its looking like soft rejections for everyone who hasn’t heard back yet. (I’m in that boat too.)

Thanks for the update. To make things worse, my rival got in the first round. Anybody else going through that, I know the pain. Don't give up! 

5 hours ago, pomelo said:

Is it weird I thought I’d get into Iowa because I saw an Iowa sweatshirt in a thrift store in my hometown (in North Carolina absolutely nowhere near Iowa) back in December? Then again, in January, I saw a guy in Philly wearing a UMass Amherst sweatshirt and thought that was a sign too - haven’t heard a peep from either school. Lol.

Omg this is me. I was staying in NJ on vacation and there was an Iowa street around the corner from our Airbnb. Plus all these other similar Iowa signs. 🙌🏼

1 hour ago, decayingballads21 said:

was it on here someone posted about Wyoming releasing decisions by the end of this week? anyone know anything ab them? 🤞🏻 

Also wondering about this. Wyoming was a very last minute addition for me so I'm not expecting much, but still. I'm antsy!

37 minutes ago, itsbeensnowing said:

Also wondering about this. Wyoming was a very last minute addition for me so I'm not expecting much, but still. I'm antsy!

It sounded like calls were supposed to go out this week. There is one acceptance from Wyoming in nonfiction on the draft spreadsheet from yesterday. So maybe some more calls will go out today.

Edit: @decayingballads21 just FYI if you didn't see

Edited by MernaHanson

I've always felt so intensely frustrated with the idea of "signs." My mother is extremely religious, so everything was a "sign" with her. She'd see a mourning dove, and it was a visitation from our dead loved ones. She'd see a license plate from her favorite US state, Colorado, and it was a sign to move there. Her total at McDonalds is $11.11? A sign from God, according to her. He blessed the McChicken order. 

I never got it. City pigeons are doves, but we don't consider them dead family members. We see license plates from places like Kansas all the time--is that not a sign to move to Kansas? After her blessed McDonalds order, I pointed out a dead opossum on the side of the road. Is that not a sign? Is that not a bad omen?

...But I still notice "signs." Even if I don't like them, I notice them constantly. A mention of a school in a TV show, a random person on the street wearing a branded hoodie... I got a waitlist from Minnesota shortly after having its mascot, a thirteen-lined ground squirrel, visit my porch.

You've given me a lot to think about, Writernity! Maybe this is just a quirk of being human--a way to cope with stress and uncertainty. It might be healthy to indulge in little rituals and superstitions. I'll try to let myself get excited about huskies and cowboys and horses from here on out. 

2 hours ago, DayOld711Pizza said:

I'm coming up on the 4th anniversary of my brother's overdose. If you need someone to lend an ear, my DMs are open. I am truly, so sorry for your loss. 

3 hours ago, DayOld711Pizza said:

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm wishing all the best for you. Please take care of yourself. 

3 hours ago, DayOld711Pizza said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself during this time.