2024 Fall Public Affairs (MPP, MPA, International Affairs, Etc.) Results

RogueOneMPP

Creating a 2024 Public Affairs results page. I saw one for Canada MPPs 2024 and other ones for specific schools. But I haven't seen one that is a broad 2024 results page. 

As I applied to law school I found these to be really helpful. I am now applying for my MPP and feel a desire to give back to folks since this site has been so helpful for me. 

I am including the typically requested information: 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): 
Schools Applied To:  
Schools Admitted To:  
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  
Undergraduate Institution:  
Undergraduate GPA:   
Undergraduate Major:  
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  
Years of Work Experience:  
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  
Other:

• 2 months later...

Did no one apply for MPA/MPP this cycle? Really confused by the lack of responses and enthusiasm. 

So far I applied to 10 schools and got into AU MPA Penn state MIA and waiting out on the rest

Thanks for this thread! I applied to NPSIA on January 31st, my references (2/3) were sent by February 1st. Initially, I was placed in the "preliminary review required" status, but around a week ago  (02/15/2024) it changed to "recommended for assessment". I am an international student who graduated with a  Bachelor's degree in International Relations with concentration in diplomacy in December 2022. My final GPA (3.34/4.00), converted to a 12-point scale is around 10/12. I have 3 years of professional experience in foreign affairs and a strong research-oriented profile, along with involvement in local extracurricular activities. I am a native Spanish speaker, I am fluent in English and have a beginner's level proficiency in Japanese (N5). I also applied to GSPIA and for the MA Globalization and International Development, but got rejected (02/01/2024). Currently, I am waiting on NPSIA's response, as it is my top choice. I also applied to other IR schools in Spain (got accepted into one in Madrid and still awaiting a decision on the Barcelona option). 

Edited by kalopsyaaa

I also applied to NPSIA on January 31st! Tonight, my application moved from "recommended for assessment" to "review in progress by faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs." I hope to get a decision soon, it looks like they are considering me for the Health, Displacement and Humanitarian Policy. I am a Carleton University student, I have an undergraduate degree in Law with a concentration in Transitional Law and Human Rights and a minor in English. I am also completing another undergraduate degree in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. My CPGPA for Law was a 10.6 and for English it is a 10.8, I also have not completed Introduction to Micro and Macroeconomics (so if I do get accepted, I will probably get a conditional acceptance). I also have NO government work experience, but I do have work and volunteer experience at the University (I hope this won't hurt my chances). I also applied to MPPA, but NPSIA is my top choice. Best of luck to everyone! I will update this thread, once I receive an acceptance or rejection. 

On 2/12/2024 at 4:39 AM, Leo9 said:

Did no one apply for MPA/MPP this cycle? Really confused by the lack of responses and enthusiasm. 

So far I applied to 10 schools and got into AU MPA Penn state MIA and waiting out on the rest

I applied but I'm waiting to comment on this thread until I have all my decisions from schools because you can't edit a post after 1 hour lol

In the waiting game with you all! I applied to 10 places. Have gotten acceptances from the UK (Sussex, LSE) and now waiting for US results. It's been radio silence from all schools, except for the occasional promo email which gives me such a scare. Assuming we'll hear about final decisions within the next 2-3 weeks, based on previous years' timelines. 

My undergrad GPA is 3.32/4, dual Bachelor's in economics and sociology. I've worked with an international non-profit in peacebuilding and human rights for the last five years.

All the best to everyone! 

Since my last post there has been few changes. Super excited that I got into NYU MPA but the scholarship is not much, got rejected from LSE-Columbia dual degree MPA and now waiting for LSE's MPA, Columbia SIPA, Cornell and JHU

Edited by Leo9

Applied to Carleton's MPPA and NPSIA. I saw people starting to get offers, congrats if you have one! One person from other year's post said international students starts to receive offers in late March. Does anyone know if this is true? Any international students with offers received?

My status for the NPSIA application changed from preliminary review required to recommended for assessment sometime between Feb 16th to Feb 21st, I don't know if I had review in progress by department since I didn't check frequently enough. I'm stiill on preliminary review required for MPPA.

Hi everyone! Really hoping to see more footfall on this thread. Very nervous about my pending decisions! I'm an international student and need good funding offers to be able to attend any of the schools I've gotten into. Good luck with all your applications:) We've got this!!

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA
Schools Applied To:  Michigan Ford, USC Sol Price, Berkeley Goldman, Sciences Po, NUS LKYSPP, Hertie (all MPP); NYU Wagner (MPA-PNP),
Schools Admitted To:  NYU Wagner (partial scholarship), USC Sol Price (awaiting scholarship info), Hertie (partial scholarship)
Schools Rejected From:  Sciences Po
Still Waiting:  
Michigan Ford,  Berkeley Goldman, NUS LKYSPP
Undergraduate Institution:  An architecture school in India
Undergraduate GPA:  8.43/10
Undergraduate Major:  Architecture
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores: 
163/160/4.5
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  3
Years of Work Experience:  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Urban Analyst at an urban/transport planning firm supporting state and local governments in a metropolitan Indian city to plan and deliver the city's newest metro rail line. Have reviewed policies, master plans, planning tools; developed planning proposals for multimodal transit integration and transit-oriented urban planning; organised workshops with government officials, elected representatives and the public; co-led community discussions for participatory planning in neighbourhoods around the metro; developed planning processes, frameworks and toolkits for government agencies to use; lots of work with QGIS and excel, handling spatial and demographic data.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Could speak about the complexities of working with governments and delivering an public transit infrastructure project from policy review to implementation; could also leverage my relevant fieldwork + research experience in social safety nets for the informal employed and the quality of water supply in Indian cities. I feel this spoke to my areas of interest (the intersections of public transit, basic infra and social safety) and also the variety of settings in which I have experience. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  My professional LoR came from my boss, with whom I've worked for 2 years. She's been really impressed with my work and I think has spoken to that. Not sure beyond that, honestly. 
Other:

Edited by rakitarakita

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): IR

Schools Applied To:  American SIS, GWU Elliott, Tufts Fletcher, Georgetown SFS, UMichigan MIRS, UCSD GPS, Denver Korbel, JHU SAIS
Schools Admitted To:  American ($$), GWU ($$), UMichigan (none), UCSD ($ TBA), Korbel ($$$)
Schools Rejected From:  JHU SAIS
Still Waiting:  Tufts Fletcher, Georgetown SFS (Waitlisted)
Undergraduate Institution:  mid-ranking University of California school
Undergraduate GPA:   3.97
Undergraduate Major:  Global Studies
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  N/A
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  2
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  English teacher abroad in competitive program
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Fairly strong, strong writing skills, focus on background in international affairs and future goals
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Positive but likely generic, from 2 professors whose classes I did well in
Other: Narrowed down to American (slightly cheaper, offering research assistantship, friendly admissions outreach) and GWU (better location and higher ranking). Very town between the two!

Edited by luna1874

Hi everyone! 

Asking if anyone also waiting for Sciences Po Emile Boutmy scholarship result? does anyone heard back from them they? I asked the admission team that the result will come out mid-March but since it's my only funding source, i'm getting really nervous. 

Nationality: Canadian

Program Applied To MPA / MPP
Schools Applied To:  Penn Fels - MPA, UofT Munk - MPP, UMich Ford - MPP, Berkeley Goldman - MPP, LSE MPA, Columbia SIPA - MPA, NYU Wagner - MPA
Schools Admitted To:  Penn ($15k), UofT ($10k CAD) , LSE (yet to submit financial award application), NYU ($20k)
Schools Rejected From:  N/A
Still Waiting: Berkeley, Columbia, Michigan
Undergraduate Institution: UBC
Undergraduate GPA:  4.33/4.33 
Undergraduate Major:  Sociology
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  N/A
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  0
Years of Work Experience:  1 (3 Full-Time Internships)
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Government, Private

Also a Canadian!! ^Eternal Sunshine 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP/MPA
Schools Applied To:  UChicago Harris MPP, Berkeley Goldman MPP, LSE MPP, Columbia SIPA MPA, Harvard HKS MPP, UofT Monk, Cambridge MPhil
Schools Admitted To:  Harris, UofT
Schools Rejected From:  -
Still Waiting:  Berkeley (Waitlisted!), and the remainder of schools
Undergraduate Institution:  Top 3 Canadian Uni
Undergraduate GPA:   3.3/4.0 (really not great lmao)
Undergraduate Major:  Compsci
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  161/163/5.5 (but i applied w worse scores to Berkeley and HKS 158/162/4.5)
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  No relevant work experience - just software engineering
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Wouldn't say they are strong necessarily, but wrote a lot about the diversity I would bring (technical background, international background), and wrote about future career.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Considering my stats they must've been positive, two profs and a manager from work.
Other:

Anyone apply to any DPA programs this cycle? I just submitted my application to Valdosta and waiting on LOR to be submitted. I have to go the online route because moving is not an option for me at the moment. 

On 3/9/2024 at 2:58 PM, anonMPPapplicant said:

Also a Canadian!! ^Eternal Sunshine 

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP/MPA
Schools Applied To:  UChicago Harris MPP, Berkeley Goldman MPP, LSE MPP, Columbia SIPA MPA, Harvard HKS MPP, UofT Monk, Cambridge MPhil
Schools Admitted To:  Harris, UofT
Schools Rejected From:  -
Still Waiting:  Berkeley (Waitlisted!), and the remainder of schools
Undergraduate Institution:  Top 3 Canadian Uni
Undergraduate GPA:   3.3/4.0 (really not great lmao)
Undergraduate Major:  Compsci
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  161/163/5.5 (but i applied w worse scores to Berkeley and HKS 158/162/4.5)
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  No relevant work experience - just software engineering
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Wouldn't say they are strong necessarily, but wrote a lot about the diversity I would bring (technical background, international background), and wrote about future career.
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Considering my stats they must've been positive, two profs and a manager from work.
Other:

I got flat out rejected from Berkeley - I was so disappointed but I could see why. I did not have a lot of quant skills and did not take the GRE. I also didn't have a lot of work experience (my experience was coming from doing 3 co-ops at ubc). I'm wishing you the best of luck with getting off that waitlist at Berkeley and getting offers from the other amazing schools too! 

• 3 weeks later...

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP, MPA

Schools Applied To:  UC San Diego GPS, UW Evans, CU Denver, University of Illinois Chicago

Schools Admitted To:  UC San Diego GPS (no funding), UW Evans ($15k funding + tuition reduction to in-state), CU Denver (no funding), University of Illinois Chicago (no funding)

Undergraduate Institution:  Governors State University (small state school)
Undergraduate GPA:   3.468/4
Undergraduate Major:  Business Administration - Marketing concentration, Econ minor
GRE Quantitative/Verbal/AW Scores:  N/A
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  4
Years of (Relevant) Work Experience:  0

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Decent, emphasized volunteer/personal experiences to cover the weak areas of having no GRE and no work experience. Focused on translating passion for the environment into a policy career, and personal growth journey during/post COVID.

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  bad. 2 letters from employer and 1 from undergrad club advisor, no letters from professors.

Other: Took econ and stats courses during undergrad. Went back to community college after undergrad to retake Calc 1 in preparation for grad school applications

Edited by IndominusTaco

• 3 weeks later...