2024 Application Thread for Communications Program PhD

Hi Everyone, 

I created this topic because I could not see any topic for fall 2024 applications. 

I am an international student looking to study political communication in the USA. I applied to these schools:

- University of Texas at Austin

- University of Wisconsin-Madison

- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

How are your applications going?

Hey! This is my second cycle. My research is in digital communication/communities. I'm applying to programs in a couple different fields but I'm (re)applying to UCSD for COMM and Northwestern for MTS (in their school of communication). All my apps are in and now comes the dreaded waiting period...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I applied to USC, UT Austin, UIUC, Wisconsin, UMASS, Brown, NYU, UCSD, and several other schools. It seems like the thread is really quiet this year. I'm just wondering if there's anyone who has received an interview invitation. I don't know whether the Communication program usually conducts interviews or not...

On 12/18/2023 at 11:22 AM, shadesofblue said:

Hey! This is my second cycle. My research is in digital communication/communities. I'm applying to programs in a couple different fields but I'm (re)applying to UCSD for COMM and Northwestern for MTS (in their school of communication). All my apps are in and now comes the dreaded waiting period...

Same here! I am looking to study digital communities too. Applied for MTS as well. Tried my luck at Cornell too 😭

On 1/8/2024 at 11:58 AM, meowcatshivo said:

Same here! I am looking to study digital communities too. Applied for MTS as well. Tried my luck at Cornell too 😭

Oooh awesome!! Good luck to you!!

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, vivianzhai said:

Hello, I just did an interview with University of Wisconsin Madison, I received an offer from Ohio State. Awaiting for Northwestern MTS, UC Santa Barbara, UPenn, Cornell, USC, UC Davis. 

Congratulations! I applied OSU and UCSB as well. But my email's just so quiet. Can I know your general research direction? Thanks!

Hello fellow Comms PhD applicants! Nice to find a little community here. The waiting game is rough, but I have hope that we'll all find a research home somewhere :) 

Waiting: UCSD, USC, UPenn, UVA, and UMich

Rejected: Stanford 

Hello! I am eagerly waiting for news as it appears some programs I’ve applied to have released acceptances by feb 1st in past years! I applied to: University of Minnesota, university of Washington, university of Southern California, University of Texas - Austin, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Syracuse University, University of Nebraska -Lincoln, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, and Louisiana State University. I was going to apply to Brown and Northwestern but thought I wouldn’t stand a chance… I kind of regret this now.  

My research areas (for now) are how both discourses of resistance and rhetorics of neoliberalism create collective affect through entertainment media such as film, TV, and social media and how narratives about culture and history are created and sustained on screen. I value intersectional feminist and critical cultural theoretical lenses when it comes to interpreting such things. 

I have received one acceptance so far from UNC chapel hill! Really suprised tbh. Looking forward to soon to come updates. Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, vivianzhai said:

I heard that USC and Penn do not have interviews

I've heard that as well! I wasn't sure if UCSB takes interviews but I saw someone posted about an interview yesterday. It sounds like we also have similar research interests :) I do health and interpersonal comm!

51 minutes ago, splash24 said:

I've heard that as well! I wasn't sure if UCSB takes interviews but I saw someone posted about an interview yesterday. It sounds like we also have similar research interests :) I do health and interpersonal comm!

Sweet! Did you apply to Wisconsin? 

Hi all! I'm anxiously waiting (haven't heard anything back yet) but it's nice to commiserate with some fellow Comms PHD applicants. 

I've applied to Cornell, Penn, USC, UVA Media Studies, UIC, the University of Toronto iSchool, and Concordia. I can also confirm that neither Annenberg school (USC and Penn) does interviews. 

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed and rooting for all of you to get into your top schools! 

5 minutes ago, maggiemayhem said:

Hi all! I'm anxiously waiting (haven't heard anything back yet) but it's nice to commiserate with some fellow Comms PHD applicants. 

I've applied to Cornell, Penn, USC, UVA Media Studies, UIC, the University of Toronto iSchool, and Concordia. I can also confirm that neither Annenberg school (USC and Penn) does interviews. 

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed and rooting for all of you to get into your top schools! 

I remember Cornell said they would release all decisions by the end of January in the info session and I am not sure if they have interviews.

Hi! I am also an international student whose research interests are political communication and computational social science. I think this year is tough for pol comm applicants (especially me😂)! I have applied for OSU and Wisconsin, but both are still in review/ pending when other applicants have already received offers. I still don't know what's wrong. I thought Wisconsin was a strong fit for me.

7 hours ago, conspiretrait said:

Hello! I am eagerly waiting for news as it appears some programs I’ve applied to have released acceptances by feb 1st in past years! I applied to: University of Minnesota, university of Washington, university of Southern California, University of Texas - Austin, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Syracuse University, University of Nebraska -Lincoln, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, and Louisiana State University. I was going to apply to Brown and Northwestern but thought I wouldn’t stand a chance… I kind of regret this now.  

My research areas (for now) are how both discourses of resistance and rhetorics of neoliberalism create collective affect through entertainment media such as film, TV, and social media and how narratives about culture and history are created and sustained on screen. I value intersectional feminist and critical cultural theoretical lenses when it comes to interpreting such things. 

I have received one acceptance so far from UNC chapel hill! Really suprised tbh. Looking forward to soon to come updates. Good luck everyone!

Did you apply for the Media and Cultural Studies at Wisconsin? I am currently an undergraduate there and I think they are doing interviews currently and are releasing decisions early February. 

Hey! It's finally nice to see some activity on this site 😅

I am a domestic student concentrating in rhetoric and political communication. Although I am still waiting on a couple of more schools (UT Austin and Utah), I have been recently accepted to UIUC and Alabama! Congrats on everyone's acceptances so far and good luck on future decisions!  

7 hours ago, vivianzhai said:

Did you apply for the Media and Cultural Studies at Wisconsin? I am currently an undergraduate there and I think they are doing interviews currently and are releasing decisions early February. 

I applied to the RPC track!

3 hours ago, TK12 said:

Hey! It's finally nice to see some activity on this site 😅

I am a domestic student concentrating in rhetoric and political communication. Although I am still waiting on a couple of more schools (UT Austin and Utah), I have been recently accepted to UIUC and Alabama! Congrats on everyone's acceptances so far and good luck on future decisions!  

Hi Congrats! May I ask which program at UIUC you got accepted to? I applied to ICR but haven't heard anything back from them yet, so I just wanted to know where we are at! Thank you

35 minutes ago, LumosQ said:

Hi Congrats! May I ask which program at UIUC you got accepted to? I applied to ICR but haven't heard anything back from them yet, so I just wanted to know where we are at! Thank you

I applied for the Department of Communication, so I'm not too sure about ICR. Hopefully, you hear back soon. Good luck! 

5 hours ago, TK12 said:

I applied for the Department of Communication, so I'm not too sure about ICR. Hopefully, you hear back soon. Good luck! 

Hii congrats!! May I ask if you have interviewed for UIUC's communication program? Or just get the acceptance? Thank you very much!