2024 Application Thread for Communications Program PhD

53 minutes ago, onf said:

Hi. Did you all receive the email from UMass? I saw some postings, but I haven't received an email, and my status in the portal has not changed yet. 

Hi, I also applied to this program but I haven't received anything as well. Neither did my status change.

Hey y’all, I saw from previous years that UMich sends out decisions around this time. Has anyone heard anything?? I checked the portal this morning but it hasn’t changed. Also, it seems like the next big one coming up is UPenn around 2/10-2/25. My contact there isn’t on the admissions committee, but I’m tempted to email him inquiring about the timeline… I don’t want to sound desperate tho lol

3 hours ago, Untiltable_Mountain said:

Just got into UW-Madison Comm Arts Rhetoric, Politics, & Culture PhD this morning. Holy shit didn't think they'd accept me straight out of undergrad. Wishing everyone the best!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, did someone in the department reach out to you? I am still waiting to hear from them, so just wondering if I am rejected by the program.

1 hour ago, PhdStessedApp said:

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, did someone in the department reach out to you? I am still waiting to hear from them, so just wondering if I am rejected by the program.

Hey, a faculty reached out to me two weeks ago before another one did a week ago. I had two rounds of interviews essentially.

11 minutes ago, Untiltable_Mountain said:

Hey, a faculty reached out to me two weeks ago before another one did a week ago. I had two rounds of interviews essentially.

I apologize for the questions. Was it one of the faculty members who contacted you today? I am really sorry once again for all the questions and for inconveniencing you.

3 minutes ago, PhdStessedApp said:

I apologize for the questions. Was it one of the faculty members who contacted you today? I am really sorry once again for all the questions and for inconveniencing you.

No worries, it's a super stressful time I understand. Yep it was one of the faculty members who reached out to me. Look for emails from any faculty within Rhetoric, Politics & Culture (if you're applying for this sub-field). They'll be the ones notifying you of acceptance most probably

5 minutes ago, Untiltable_Mountain said:

No worries, it's a super stressful time I understand. Yep it was one of the faculty members who reached out to me. Look for emails from any faculty within Rhetoric, Politics & Culture (if you're applying for this sub-field). They'll be the ones notifying you of acceptance most probably

Thanks a lot for your understanding! Yeah, I only had one interview, so the hopes are a little less hopeful right now. But I guess, I'll hear soon enough whatever the outcome is

On 1/27/2024 at 1:09 PM, lolomnm said:

Hey y’all, I saw from previous years that UMich sends out decisions around this time. Has anyone heard anything?? I checked the portal this morning but it hasn’t changed. Also, it seems like the next big one coming up is UPenn around 2/10-2/25. My contact there isn’t on the admissions committee, but I’m tempted to email him inquiring about the timeline… I don’t want to sound desperate tho lol

Same, very stressed out about UPenn decisions! I heard they typically don't have interviews but I saw someone post that they were invited to one. 

2 hours ago, vivianzhai said:

Same, very stressed out about UPenn decisions! I heard they typically don't have interviews but I saw someone post that they were invited to one. 

Was it for comms? I spoke a colleague who was accepted to their program last year and said they do not have interviews. It also says on their website FAQs that they don't start reviewing applications until February, so I wouldn't worry about it for now. 

3 hours ago, vivianzhai said:

How interesting... where did you see that? I haven't seen anything on r/gradadmissions or gradcafe about UPenn Annenberg for this year. 

1 minute ago, lolomnm said:

How interesting... where did you see that? I haven't seen anything on r/gradadmissions or gradcafe about UPenn Annenberg for this year. 

I saw a post on the Chinese app Red, the person took a screenshot of an email where the professor asked for a brief call to share their lab's current work and hear more about the student's research interests. 

Hey everyone! Just an update on my part ~

I was rejected from U Minnesota and I’m thinking a reject will be coming from Wisconsin (RPC) since I’m seeing many acceptances on the feed but have not heard anything. I was previously accepted to UNCCH (funding offer received, 20k) and have been accepted to UT Austin (funding pending) for their MA rhetoric, language, and political comm division! I had an interview with UWashington this last Friday and they said results will be out within 2 weeks. I have been told by my POI at LSU that I should expect to be accepted (rhetoric and cultural studies). Now, I am just waiting on USC and Syracuse. 

Saw the interview from UC Davis in results page, anyone heard anything from this program? Do they send out interviews all in once?