2024 Application Thread for Communications Program PhD

On 1/27/2024 at 10:27 AM, onf said:

Hi. Did you all receive the email from UMass? I saw some postings, but I haven't received an email, and my status in the portal has not changed yet. 

Hi, any updates? I have also noticied multiple rejections on Jan 26th but haven't received any news yet myself... I wonder if this means we are still being considered)

My applications this year are (from top to last choice):

1. USC (saw acceptances on 16.02 so I am assuming I got rejected)

2. UMass (saw rejections on 26.01 so I am assuming I still have a chance)

3. University of Michigan (saw acceptances on 14.02 so I am assuming I got rejected)

4. Cornell (rejection)

5. University of Minnesota (rejection)

Edited by Jade_S

On 2/15/2024 at 3:47 PM, RissaBarbara said:

Same! I noticed a few, but my PI said that, to his knowledge, they haven't sent any information out yet. Interesting...

I know one person who was admitted to UMD. We are still waiting to hear back from UMD, so I feel like it's a pending rejection, but it would be nice if they would actually send rejections. Anyone have word on Penn State?

18 hours ago, onf said:

I'm still waiting for a decision from UMass😢 Hope we can hear some good news this week.

I would suggest reaching out to them. Turns out they sent out all decisions on January 26th (7 admitted, 15 on the waitlist). I reached out yesterday and was told I got rejected but for some reason they missed my email.

1 hour ago, Jade_S said:

I would suggest reaching out to them. Turns out they sent out all decisions on January 26th (7 admitted, 15 on the waitlist). I reached out yesterday and was told I got rejected but for some reason they missed my email.

I also received an email, but the number was slightly different.7 admitted and 12 on the waitlist. Seems they may just give a rough number to rejected applicants...

It appears that the Communications and Media (ICR) department at UIUC has forgotten my application😳. While other candidates have received decisions (rejections, waitlists, or acceptances), my status remains ‘awaiting decision.’😢

Does anyone have updates regarding the Rutgers Media Studies concentration? I saw people posting offers, waitlists, and rejections but I didn't receive anything from them. Not sure what's going on.

Just got a rejection from USC today (my top choice and second year in a row). Was told on Thursday that UMich decisions will be out by Friday (my last hope) but have nothing yet, even though some others have posted theirs. I am guessing it is a rejection too.

Hi! Does anyone know if the University of Oregon sent out all their offers? I saw some offer posts on Feb 09. I did not receive any notifications about the interview results, even though the interviewer mentioned that all the results would be sent out this week.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:39 AM, ruirine said:

Hi! Does anyone know if the University of Oregon sent out all their offers? I saw some offer posts on Feb 09. I did not receive any notifications about the interview results, even though the interviewer mentioned that all the results would be sent out this week.

The UO has not sent out all offers yet! I'm a master's student here and from what we've been told, not all offers are out yet. I know at least one of the offer posts from 2/9 was from another current master's student here who got accepted. It's been a really competitive year so I hope you get in! 

2 hours ago, splash24 said:

The UO has not sent out all offers yet! I'm a master's student here and from what we've been told, not all offers are out yet. I know at least one of the offer posts from 2/9 was from another current master's student here who got accepted. It's been a really competitive year so I hope you get in! 

Thank you for telling me this! UO is my top choice so I really wish I could get in🤞

14 hours ago, lolomnm said:

Does anyone know if Michigan sent out all offers yet? I've seen lots of activity from Michigan on GradCafe, but still haven't heard anything. 

It seems that UMich only accepts 5 doctoral student this year, and they already have a five-people list. But if one of them reject the offer, you will also have the chance. (By the way I have get rejection from UMich, they accept according to track)

Hi everyone, I saw a bunch of activity on UMich Communication but didn't receive  a response from them. I mailed them and they replied they will disclose by (this week's) Monday. Its Thursday already and I am confused as to what it means. It seems like an elongated rejection at best :( 

Also confused about the Northwestern Communication Studies (Rhetoric, Media and Publics) track. Did anyone receive an interview/ acceptance/ rejection? Would be very grateful if anyone can help me with some info! Thanks! 

Edited by vsceaser99
typo

On 2/23/2024 at 6:20 AM, LumosQ said:

Does anyone have updates regarding the Rutgers Media Studies concentration? I saw people posting offers, waitlists, and rejections but I didn't receive anything from them. Not sure what's going on.

I got waitlisted and was notified via email. Straight rejections and acceptances went out via the portal to my knowledge.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:52 PM, obk90 said:

Did anyone here apply to the Ph.D in Communications at Columbia Journalism School?

I applied and was waitlisted. Apparently they're down to three new students this year instead of accepting 4 like in past cycles.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:16 PM, Palmier said:

Northwestern MTS has already sent out their offers

By any chance, did the Northwestern University Communications TGS result already come out?