PhD Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2024 Application

meanwhilelife81a

1 hour ago, A415Violin said:

I only applied to one: university of Oregon. I had an interview last week but have not heard anything yet.

i applied to PhD programs a few years ago and am surprised the lack of participation on this site for our programs 

Maybe younger people don't know about this website :) fortunately for them...

I applied to 11 schools for musicology and have only been accepted to one so far (CUNY). I'm 3rd on the waitlist at Duke and waiting to hear back from my interview with UPenn, which I had last week. Rejected from UChicago, Columbia, Eastman, and Harvard. Have not heard anything from Princeton, Yale, or Cornell yet. 

This process is so stressful!!! 

11 hours ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Early music! Especially regional differences in 17th century Italy. What about you??

Sound/Music studies along the currents of political extremism. I applied to both history and musicology programs (my background is musicology though). My interested lie on the cultural (music) and sensory (sound) history of the Holocaust and the Armenian Genocide, World Wars, and the Third Reich!

4 hours ago, historianmusicologist118 said:

I am for ethno!

oh really?I am ethnomusicology pathway too!Are you on the list on have already got an offer from Chicago?I really looking forward to getting more information from other people before april.😭

1 hour ago, xyluuuuuu said:

oh really?I am ethnomusicology pathway too!Are you on the list on have already got an offer from Chicago?I really looking forward to getting more information from other people before april.😭

I don’t think that information is available to anyone, sadly. And I’m taking myself out of the list anyway because I’m taking an offer from a different school.

13 minutes ago, historianmusicologist118 said:

I don’t think that information is available to anyone, sadly. And I’m taking myself out of the list anyway because I’m taking an offer from a different school.

oh great!You can have another offer to choose,,,,however,I only applied 2 schools this year one is michigan one is chicago.I only got the waitlist until now ,although i have the interview with michigan but i think i don't successfully get into the second round.😭

On 2/15/2024 at 3:05 PM, A415Violin said:

I only applied to one: university of Oregon. I had an interview last week but have not heard anything yet.

i applied to PhD programs a few years ago and am surprised the lack of participation on this site for our programs 

Were you the one who posted about Oregon? If so, congrats!!

29 minutes ago, historianmusicologist118 said:

Were you the one who posted about Oregon? If so, congrats!!

Yes this is me! Am happy about it but it is bittersweet. I dropped out of a phd during the pandemic but never got the MA. Oregon wouldn't admit me to the phd without the MA, but said there's the possibility of continuing into the phd if all goes well. Ultimately I'm super stoked. Look forward to having you all as colleagues!

15 hours ago, A415Violin said:

Yes this is me! Am happy about it but it is bittersweet. I dropped out of a phd during the pandemic but never got the MA. Oregon wouldn't admit me to the phd without the MA, but said there's the possibility of continuing into the phd if all goes well. Ultimately I'm super stoked. Look forward to having you all as colleagues!

I’m from Oregon! I live in NY though now.

Edited by Squirrelgirl2

15 hours ago, A415Violin said:

Yes! Congratulations!