PhD Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2024 Application

meanwhilelife81a

8 hours ago, darrenchuang said:

Hi, it seems that they are still assessing applications! I am also applying for NYU's ethnomusicology, and waiting for UCSD, U of I, UCLA, and UCB (PI said I was put on the top of waitlist...) at the same time. Finger crossed!

Also waiting to hear from Integrative Studies @ UCSD, but I've had no interview or anything, I am sure this just means a rejection at this point. It's so late in the cycle. 

On 3/15/2024 at 6:31 AM, taumi said:

Also waiting to hear from Integrative Studies @ UCSD, but I've had no interview or anything, I am sure this just means a rejection at this point. It's so late in the cycle. 

Yeah, you're right, I received the rejection on the same day, tho I had no regret on that as they only offered 1 spot for IS in this cycle :) 

At the moment I was admitted to the musicology programme at the U of I, and waiting for UCB and NYU. Finger crossed for both of us!

3 hours ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Has anyone accepted any offers to programs yet? I received full funding from CUNY but still waiting to see if I get off the waitlist at Duke.

Also has anyone heard from NYU yet??? 

No idea about NYU, but congrats on the full funding!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did anyone here (or your friends?!) hold an offer from UC Berkeley and will decline/ have declined? It's so nerve-wracking that I have be put on the waitlist for such a long time and I really want to be admitted. Please decline it soon if you had a better offer : )

Hope you all can attend the most ideal programme in the end! 

Ok, we're at April 10th and I was told that one program I was waitlisted for has admitted the students who accepted and no longer can admit anyone off the waitlist. But I'm still on the waitlist at my very top choice... I heard from one professor that he doesn't think either applicant that was admitted has responded, and that he assumes they must have other attractive offers and are having a hard time deciding. He said "perhaps that's good news" in reference to the possibility that I could still get in.. Is that likely? or is it likely that they also are waiting to see if they got in off a different waitlist? I mean, this is a VERY good program, so it's hard to imagine that people wouldn't just accept outright by now if they had not gotten in anywhere else super super good that they were trying to decide about... Should I be hopeful? I got into the MA program I'm in now via the waitlist, I was notified on April 17th. So...is this hopeful? What does it usually mean when you are in the top of the waitlist and they still haven't rejected you by now? 

Does anyone know if when schools say the deadline to accept/decline their offer is "by April 15," does that mean 11:59pm on the 14th or 11:59pm on the 15th?? Waitlisted at a school with better funding but have an offer for another school and I don't want to lose it by not accepting by midnight tonight (the 14th)

I heard that many schools will send more offers than they can accept, based on how many students have previously accepted their offers in past years. So a school might sent out 5 offers even if they only have room for 2 students. In the end, their waitlists don't even get used. I know Columbia and Duke do this for sure. Every school is different though.

Where is everyone going? I have accepted my offer from CUNY!

17 hours ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

I heard that many schools will send more offers than they can accept, based on how many students have previously accepted their offers in past years. So a school might sent out 5 offers even if they only have room for 2 students. In the end, their waitlists don't even get used. I know Columbia and Duke do this for sure. Every school is different though.

Where is everyone going? I have accepted my offer from CUNY!

I will be doing my PhD in Musicology degree at UIUC this fall! :) 

Edited by darrenchuang