PhD Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2024 Application

meanwhilelife81a

On 2/15/2024 at 9:20 PM, Squirrelgirl2 said:

I applied to 11 schools for musicology and have only been accepted to one so far (CUNY). I'm 3rd on the waitlist at Duke and waiting to hear back from my interview with UPenn, which I had last week. Rejected from UChicago, Columbia, Eastman, and Harvard. Have not heard anything from Princeton, Yale, or Cornell yet. 

This process is so stressful!!! 

It is! Back-to-back rejections from Yale and UPenn today for me. It was expected, at least. (And I’m expecting a rejection from Duke as well, since I never interviewed there.)

1 hour ago, Eulenspiegel1515 said:

It is! Back-to-back rejections from Yale and UPenn today for me. It was expected, at least. (And I’m expecting a rejection from Duke as well, since I never interviewed there.)

Oh my! I am so sorry! I had a similar situation with UofChicago and Northwestern. They rejected me back to back (not for their musicology program, though) a few weeks ago. Do you have at least standing offers?

27 minutes ago, Eulenspiegel1515 said:

Ah. I’m sorry that happened to you as well. I also applied in another discipline as well as Musicology and am already facing a difficult decision between several offers, so it’s not as bad as it could be! 

Yay! May I ask what is the other discipline and which offers do you have? :D

8 minutes ago, Eulenspiegel1515 said:

My other discipline is German. 😁 I have offers from Duke/UNC (joint German PhD), , UW-Madison (German), IU-Bloomington (German), and Eastman (Musicology). I also interviewed with UM-Ann Arbor (German) and Case Western (Musicology) but haven’t heard anything from them yet.

Oh fun! Congrats on the offers! Where did you do your undergrad? What is your research interest?

13 hours ago, Eulenspiegel1515 said:

Same :( I don’t think Duke does interviews because they never invited me for one. I heard back on Feb 9 though that I’m on the waitlist. 

kinda bummed because I’ve been rejected from 8/11 schools I applied to. Still waiting to hear from NYU, but I suspect it’s not a good fit from me there.

3 hours ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Same :( I don’t think Duke does interviews because they never invited me for one. I heard back on Feb 9 though that I’m on the waitlist. 

kinda bummed because I’ve been rejected from 8/11 schools I applied to. Still waiting to hear from NYU, but I suspect it’s not a good fit from me there.

:(((( I’m so sorry! My mentors told me that everything has to do with research fit and also logistics/politics….. :((((

4 hours ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

I’m so sorry. That’s hard. I had a friend who went through this process last year and had a similarly harrowing experience (partially why I decided to apply in more than one discipline). I hope you land in a program that proves to be a great fit and where you will be happy! 

Also, I did not know that about Duke. Their German program was the same (no interviews).

2 hours ago, meanwhilelife81a said:

:(((( I’m so sorry! My mentors told me that everything has to do with research fit and also logistics/politics….. :((((

What do you mean exactly by logistics/politics?? I’ve been out of school a few years so I’m wondering if maybe that’s why…

34 minutes ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

What do you mean exactly by logistics/politics?? I’ve been out of school a few years so I’m wondering if maybe that’s why…

Some professors might not be able to take in students even though it’s a good fit because they took in students last year. 

35 minutes ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

How did everyone work through the application process? Did you have professors help proof read your writing samples and give advice? Also did you contact people to make connections before applying? 

Personal statement, definitely. But for the writing samples, I submitted a current draft of a forthcoming journal article (it’s now officially published), a published book review, and a paper I presented at AMS.

11 minutes ago, meanwhilelife81a said:

Personal statement, definitely. But for the writing samples, I submitted a current draft of a forthcoming journal article (it’s now officially published), a published book review, and a paper I presented at AMS.

Wow! How do you already have published materials? Are you currently in a musicology MA program??? I thought most people don’t publish articles until well into their PhD programs?

19 minutes ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Wow! How do you already have published materials? Are you currently in a musicology MA program??? I thought most people don’t publish articles until well into their PhD programs?

Yes, I am currently in a musicology MA program! 😅

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 1:53 PM, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Duke does do interviews, at least in the ethno track, bc I did one and I was waitlisted there right at the end of January...still waiting to hear. 

Also very stressed like everyone because I am waiting on several programs and not sure if I'm about to be waitlisted for literally everything and be in limbo for so long :(

21 hours ago, gradLH23 said:

Duke does do interviews, at least in the ethno track, bc I did one and I was waitlisted there right at the end of January...still waiting to hear. 

Also very stressed like everyone because I am waiting on several programs and not sure if I'm about to be waitlisted for literally everything and be in limbo for so long :(

Which schools are you still waiting to hear from? Do you know your position on Duke's waitlist by the way? When I emailed them they said I was 3rd on the waitlist (for musicology track) and that I still have a good chance of getting accepted! Really really hoping to get in!!! 

On 3/4/2024 at 10:56 AM, Squirrelgirl2 said:

Which schools are you still waiting to hear from? Do you know your position on Duke's waitlist by the way? When I emailed them they said I was 3rd on the waitlist (for musicology track) and that I still have a good chance of getting accepted! Really really hoping to get in!!! 

I'm in the ethno track, so maybe they're not connected at all? I'm 1st on the ethno track at Duke, but who knows :-/. I'm also waitlisted at another place which is my first choice...and still waiting to hear back from NYU. 

HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM NYU?????? Why is this so late? I keep thinking maybe I'm waitlisted or rejected, but I dont think anyone has heard. Is this just because the deadline was so much later for this program???

On 3/8/2024 at 12:47 AM, gradLH23 said:

HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM NYU?????? Why is this so late? I keep thinking maybe I'm waitlisted or rejected, but I dont think anyone has heard. Is this just because the deadline was so much later for this program???

Hi, it seems that they are still assessing applications! I am also applying for NYU's ethnomusicology, and waiting for UCSD, U of I, UCLA, and UCB (PI said I was put on the top of waitlist...) at the same time. Finger crossed!