NSF GRFP 2023-2024

BCI_king

There's no thread for 2023-2024 so thought I'd start one. Does anybody have any experience with the major change of field for the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)? I applied during the 2023-2024 NSF GRFP cycle, and I applied under the biomedical engineering subfield. That being said, I've received an offer from a computational neuroscience graduate program. Is switching to computational neuroscience too far of a switch, or will I automatically forfeit the NSF GRFP? Anybody have any experience in this domain? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about that too, although I haven't gotten in anywhere. I applied under Astronomy & Astrophysics but my top choice program is in Earth & Planetary Sciences. Maybe that's something we'd have to ask NSF folks about when we get the GRFP.

Looks like they announced maintenance on FastLane: 

"Due to maintenance, the following functions will be unavailable from 8:00 PM ET on 3/22 – 8:00 AM ET on 3/23: Research.gov No Cost Extension and PI Transfer N & Rs and Individual Banking. The following systems will also be unavailable from 10:00 PM ET on 3/22 – 8:00 AM ET on 3/23: Research.gov (including access to FastLane Proposal Review and Panelist Functions), FastLane Travel & Reimbursement, Graduate Research Fellowship Program, and NSF Public Access Repository (NSF-PAR). We apologize for any inconvenience. " 

What do we think this means? Results soon?

Edited by confessionsofaphysicsgeek

Maintenance on weekends going until 8AM is normal. From what I've seen for past years, if maintenance ends at 6AM and is only for GRFP then it means it's results. Here's a spreadsheet with dates and such going back a while: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nx-YdXJpUkvO8FvsB8hXMgIq1HViLBQ1D-9yP-Xs010/edit?usp=sharing Maybe this means we'll get results next week? I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

Did others see the notification on the page (https://www.research.gov/research-web/content/GRFP2) this morning? Weird that it is there when the award notices have not gone out:

"Reviews are now available for all GRFP 2024 applications through the GRFP module on Research.gov! Email notifications have been sent to all GRFP applicants on how to access the reviews.

New Awardees can accept or decline their award offer by April 29, 2024. Failure to accept by the April 29 deadline will result in revocation of the award offer.

New Awardees who accept the Fellowship must also declare fellowship status plans and notify their graduate institutions of their status by April 29, 2024.

To see the full list of 2024 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) selections for Fellow candidate and Honorable Mention, click here."

On 3/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, imaginingSisyphus said:

Did others see the notification on the page (https://www.research.gov/research-web/content/GRFP2) this morning? Weird that it is there when the award notices have not gone out:

"Reviews are now available for all GRFP 2024 applications through the GRFP module on Research.gov! Email notifications have been sent to all GRFP applicants on how to access the reviews.

New Awardees can accept or decline their award offer by April 29, 2024. Failure to accept by the April 29 deadline will result in revocation of the award offer.

New Awardees who accept the Fellowship must also declare fellowship status plans and notify their graduate institutions of their status by April 29, 2024.

To see the full list of 2024 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) selections for Fellow candidate and Honorable Mention, click here."

It's gone now!

Reposting this because didn't get any responses --- Does anybody have any experience with the major change of field for the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)? I am an undergraduate senior and I applied during the 2023-2024 NSF GRFP cycle and I was awarded the GRFP!! However, I applied under the biomedical engineering subfield. That being said, I've received an offer from a computational neuroscience graduate program. Is switching to computational neuroscience too far of a switch, or will I automatically forfeit the NSF GRFP? Anybody have any experience in this domain? I imagine that I could switch my sub-field to computationally intensive research? Is this a change that I make when declaring fellowship status?

• 3 weeks later...