What do I wear for a PhD interview

I have three interviews on the next two Fridays in two freezing parts of the country (New York (NYU and CUNY) and then Urbana (UIUC)).

What types of clothing would I be expected to wear.

I am emailing the graduate secretaries about this, but I thought I should get some input.

I got an email back from one of the graduate secretaries, they said

"Casual attire is requested."

I'd still consider business casual. No tie, button shirt, khakis/slacks. In NYC "casual" does not mean the same as some other places. My husband, for example, had to head out to Indiana for a business-casual event, and some people were in jeans and polo shirts. :blink:

Also, if you're coming any time soon, be forewarned that we have a LOT OF SNOW right now (/facepalm), so you may want to go with darker pants.

I got an email back from one of the graduate secretaries, they said

"Casual attire is requested."

congrats with the interviews! I will also be interviewing at UIUC (neuroscience) in ~2 weeks and they told me to dress casually and comfortably, and to expect a lot of walking. they even went into specifics that "jeans are ok, but jeans with holes are not. please, no suits". i'm thinking khakis will work well, or black denim. as for tops, you can never go wrong with a button up. i was under the impression that UIUC is probably one of the more casual schools. are you going to be staying with current grad students in the department? if so, i recommend you bring both types of attire (dress up and casual) and ask them what interviewees tend to wear.

good luck!

I'd still consider business casual. No tie, button shirt, khakis/slacks. In NYC "casual" does not mean the same as some other places. My husband, for example, had to head out to Indiana for a business-casual event, and some people were in jeans and polo shirts. :blink:

Also, if you're coming any time soon, be forewarned that we have a LOT OF SNOW right now (/facepalm), so you may want to go with darker pants.

I found out for NY they want business casual. It has been determined, I will be wearing dark pants, boots, a thermal undershirt, a buttoned up shirt, and then a business-y sweater over the shirt. I spent most of Saturday with my oldest sister, who used to live in DC, buying warm clothes so I do not freeze. Still debating on whether to wear a tie

congrats with the interviews! I will also be interviewing at UIUC (neuroscience) in ~2 weeks and they told me to dress casually and comfortably, and to expect a lot of walking. they even went into specifics that "jeans are ok, but jeans with holes are not. please, no suits". i'm thinking khakis will work well, or black denim. as for tops, you can never go wrong with a button up. i was under the impression that UIUC is probably one of the more casual schools. are you going to be staying with current grad students in the department? if so, i recommend you bring both types of attire (dress up and casual) and ask them what interviewees tend to wear.

good luck!

They told me to dress casually and warmly and to expect to have to walk. I will be likely staying with a current student. It is a recruiting weekend. I probably will wear much more casual pants. I am wearing dressy pants for NY, but I prob won't for UIUC. The Friday is a string of interviews (at least 4) with profs in multiple depts (=multiple buildings to walk to), so that day I will wear clothes similar to NY (but no dressy pants). The Saturday is a research symposium, so I figure I ought to wear as comfortable clothes as possible.

Edited by Deven

I found out for NY they want business casual. It has been determined, I will be wearing dark pants, boots, a thermal undershirt, a buttoned up shirt, and then a business-y sweater over the shirt. I spent most of Saturday with my oldest sister, who used to live in DC, buying warm clothes so I do not freeze

They told me to dress casually and warmly and to expect to have to walk. I will be likely staying with a current student. It is a recruiting weekend. I probably will wear much more casual pants. I am wearing dressy pants for NY, but I prob won't for UIUC. The Friday is a string of interviews (at least 4) with profs in multiple depts (=multiple buildings to walk to), so that day I will wear clothes similar to NY (but no dressy pants). The Saturday is a research symposium, so I figure I ought to wear as comfortable clothes as possible.

sounds good. appears that our recruitment weekends have very similar schedules (just different weekends). are they hosting yours at the beckman institute? let me know how it goes and how the weather is in illinois!

• 2 months later...

I have an interview for a Masters program and I was intending to go somewhere between "business casual" and "borderline formal." Luckily, I emailed the contact person and asked about dress code- she strongly suggested a suit, and at a minimum, pants and blazer. And comfortable shoes.

So I'd go ahead and email- better to send one email than to be embarrassed either way (too dressy or not dressy enough).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a follow-up question that may be kind of silly. I have a Bio PhD interview at Big Name East Coast U in a few weeks. I have my wardrobe together (yay!) except for one item (well, two, but I'll be able to find a nice Social Gathering Shirt somewhere).

See, I've had my wonderful tote bag for five years. It's served me very well, but it's a) a fabric bag and B) been patched up half a dozen times and its life is at an end ( :(). For Christmas, I asked my parents for a sturdy tote bag to replace it - one that would also last me many years and be able to take the weight of books etc etc.

They got me a beautiful bag - but it's *very obviously* a Designer Name Bag. Like, lots-of-logo Designer Name. I love it, but I'm worried that this might send the wrong message at an interview - I don't know exactly *what* kind of message it would send, but I'm still paranoid it would be negative.

Does anyone have an opinion/any warning stories? I don't think I can muster up the $$ to get a new professional-looking bag (something leather or leather-like that doesn't look cheap), so I think it's either this one or my old raggedy tote. Which is the lesser of two evils?

Thanks guys!

Also, maybe we could put together a sticky of Suggested Interview Garb for this forum at some point, including accessories for men and women?

Choose whichever one makes you feel more comfortable, just to have one less thing to worry about. I don't think there will be anything wrong with the old bag -- graduate students are poor and often use the same equipment for a long time. I also don't think there's anything wrong with a designer bag, except how it makes you feel. Honestly, if you are going to be judged at a certain place for how you're dressed, would you really want to go there? You're going to be using this bag for a long time if you attend this school, so if it's going to be a problem I would think it'd be good to find out early. Really, though, I think both options are fine.