2025 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

curfew

May never come back to this again, but let's get this started early--

A thread for everyone + anyone to discuss application processes, schools, books, general grievances related to MFA writing season!

I'm in my last year of undergrad, applying to Brown, Cornell, Iowa, Michigan, Michener, NYU, Rutgers-C, Syracuse, Vanderbilt + Virginia, for fiction. Eager to hear where others are applying to, and how applications are coming along:D

I'm here! This will be my second round applying in fiction. I got a couple acceptances last year, even one with full funding, but I turned them down to hopefully get into a school that aligns more with my long term goals (and ideally offers funding that isn't poverty levels -- let this be a warning to look at stipend levels compared to cost of living y'all, especially in the post apocalyptic hellscape of 2024 housing).

The community here is great, but the draft '25 group on facebook is also a resource everyone should keep an eye on; there is definitely more responses on their spreadsheet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 2:32 AM, prufrock_ said:

I'm here! This will be my second round applying in fiction. I got a couple acceptances last year, even one with full funding, but I turned them down to hopefully get into a school that aligns more with my long term goals (and ideally offers funding that isn't poverty levels -- let this be a warning to look at stipend levels compared to cost of living y'all, especially in the post apocalyptic hellscape of 2024 housing).

The community here is great, but the draft '25 group on facebook is also a resource everyone should keep an eye on; there is definitely more responses on their spreadsheet.

Thanks for the reminder. I compared the rents in the cities where the universities I want to apply to are located and was surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! First time applying for MFA programs. I've been out of undergrad for 8 years and already have an Masters degree, so going to be interesting to see how this goes. 

I'm applying for fiction and haven't completely narrowed down my list, but rn I'm seriously looking at applying to (in no particular order): UArizona, Brown, Michigan, UT-Austin, Columbia, NYU, WUSTL, UMass Amherst, Sarah Lawrence, Northwestern, UVA, Iowa, UCSD, Minnesota, Irvine and Boston. But from browsing last year's thread it seems like I might want to apply to all of them! 

Hey all! Glad this forum is up so early as it feeds into my neuroses, haha! I'm starting early this year since it's my first time really applying to MFAs; last year I only applied to Boise State. This year I'll likely be applying to Cornell University, University of Minnesota - Minneapolis, Boise State University, Vanderbilt University, University of Iowa, Colorado State University, University of Colorado - Boulder, and University of Notre Dame. I'm thinking of adding two more in order to make it an even 10, but haven't figured all that out yet. I'll be applying for fiction. Would love to chat with fellow applicants and go crazy together as we wait through this application season!

19 hours ago, taliaj said:

I'm thinking of adding two more in order to make it an even 10, but haven't figured all that out yet.

Loving the lists from everyone so far!:D And I also feel that 10 is like a Goldilocks number--enough seats and variety without bloating the application process-

Hi all! I'm hoping to apply to a few MFA (Fiction track) programs for the first time this year, just to see. For this round I am only planning to apply to schools in New York - my partner and I have moved around a lot recently and I'm going to need a few years before I consider uprooting my life for the Midwest again. Right now my list is Hunter, Brooklyn College, and NYU. I might also apply to the New School, but I don't think they have the teaching opportunities I'm looking for, and I'm still trying to figure out if Columbia offers anyone enough funding to avoid 20 years of debt hell.

Looking forward to this journey with all you cool people - good luck everyone!