squid05 Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 20 minutes ago, penitentwanderer said: I think there's an ethical difference between spots opening up because applicants accepted offers they didn't want/hoped to still turn down prior to 4/15 just because they want to have a spot, and spots opening up because of applicants making decisions late in the game. It is an odd look to accept an offer weeks before the deadline and then jettison that acceptance prior to 4/15 (if you got off a waitlist somewhere better, for example). The system exists to prevent accepting offers that you don't intend to keep. Obviously, this year has an added element of uncertainty which means people act out of fear. But to each their own. I agree with you. My unfortunate situation is that my Warren Wilson decision was due on Sunday. I asked for more time but waiting on UNCG to get back to me with any information at all has been excruciating. everything bagel lover 1
everything bagel lover Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 (edited) 44 minutes ago, penitentwanderer said: I think there's an ethical difference between spots opening up because applicants accepted offers they didn't want/hoped to still turn down prior to 4/15 just because they want to have a spot, and spots opening up because of applicants making decisions late in the game. It is an odd look to accept an offer weeks before the deadline and then jettison that acceptance prior to 4/15 (if you got off a waitlist somewhere better, for example). The system exists to prevent accepting offers that you don't intend to keep. Obviously, this year has an added element of uncertainty which means people act out of fear. But to each their own. I agree, mostly! Ideally, accepted students have until April 15th to decide, and it's not considered good form to accept quickly just to turn it down for something else. However, what recently is throwing a wrench into this is funding being pulled, and that trickling down into offers that haven't been accepted being deferred to Fall 2026. That's what Northwestern just did, according to a current student on Facebook. Accepted offers are typically honored, whereas an outstanding offer may not be if funding is getting chopped. Thus, the current conundrum I came to y'all with. I have one offer that is funded and that I'd be happy to take, but I'm waitlisted for funding at my top choice school and won't know until the person in front of me decides whether or not they want it. I can assume that potentially since they have pushed out deciding for so long that CSU isn't their top choice and they're maybe waiting on a similar situation that I'm waiting on. And then, if schools don't abide by the April 15 resolution, then that's even more crunch onto a system where some schools are requiring decisions even earlier than most, leading to some tough decisions for applicants. Overall, this is unfortunately looking like a complicated season because of funding cuts to graduate programs. Ideally, I think we'd all like to be courteous to each other and take care to not unnecessarily take up spots or commit to places too soon. I really hope that no other programs start deferring outstanding offers. The whole thing gives me anxiety and I really hope that I, and other candidates, have until the April 15th deadline to fully decide. Edited March 26, 2025 by everything bagel lover clarity zaira and beet_root 1 1
Hjanep Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 SFSU fiction acceptance just hit draft Lady Gladys 1
glowingbrightly Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 59 minutes ago, penitentwanderer said: I think there's an ethical difference between spots opening up because applicants accepted offers they didn't want/hoped to still turn down prior to 4/15 just because they want to have a spot, and spots opening up because of applicants making decisions late in the game. It is an odd look to accept an offer weeks before the deadline and then jettison that acceptance prior to 4/15 (if you got off a waitlist somewhere better, for example). The system exists to prevent accepting offers that you don't intend to keep. Obviously, this year has an added element of uncertainty which means people act out of fear. But to each their own. Yeah, the system exists to protect students and allow them to make decisions without pressure. It’s a rough climate we are in because of trump but I think it’s even more important than ever to be grateful for what we have and not put additional pressure on those trying to decide right now. everything bagel lover, zaira and penitentwanderer 3
penitentwanderer Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 48 minutes ago, squid05 said: I agree with you. My unfortunate situation is that my Warren Wilson decision was due on Sunday. I asked for more time but waiting on UNCG to get back to me with any information at all has been excruciating. Yeah it's so tough when you add programs that don't follow the 4/15 resolution. That's an instance in which I really don't think it's bad to accept - because they don't follow the resolution and force you to decide despite not hearing back from everyone else. Good luck to you and hang in there! 30 minutes ago, everything bagel lover said: I agree, mostly! Ideally, accepted students have until April 15th to decide, and it's not considered good form to accept quickly just to turn it down for something else. However, what recently is throwing a wrench into this is funding being pulled, and that trickling down into offers that haven't been accepted being deferred to Fall 2026. That's what Northwestern just did, according to a current student on Facebook. Accepted offers are typically honored, whereas an outstanding offer may not be if funding is getting chopped. Thus, the current conundrum I came to y'all with. I have one offer that is funded and that I'd be happy to take, but I'm waitlisted for funding at my top choice school and won't know until the person in front of me decides whether or not they want it. I can assume that potentially since they have pushed out deciding for so long that CSU isn't their top choice and they're maybe waiting on a similar situation that I'm waiting on. And then, if schools don't abide by the April 15 resolution, then that's even more crunch onto a system where some schools are requiring decisions even earlier than most, leading to some tough decisions for applicants. Overall, this is unfortunately looking like a complicated season because of funding cuts to graduate programs. Ideally, I think we'd all like to be courteous to each other and take care to not unnecessarily take up spots or commit to places too soon. I really hope that no other programs start deferring outstanding offers. The whole thing gives me anxiety and I really hope that I, and other candidates, have until the April 15th deadline to fully decide. It's a really hard time right now. Agree with others that everyone shouldn't feel pressured. I'm sitting on an offer, but have no intention to accept until 4/15 as I'm waiting to hear back from my 1st choice. If offers were rescinded it'd be terrible, but I wouldn't want to be part of an even tinier program (as it's tiny already). If no one's in your cohort, what's the point? decayingballads21 and everything bagel lover 2
Tinky C. Clown Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 also, just because one school did rescinded offers doesn’t mean a bunch of schools will. the level of panic i’m seeing doesn’t really match the actual probability that this becomes a pattern Lady Gladys, penitentwanderer and P i e r r o t 3
everything bagel lover Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 7 minutes ago, Tinky C. Clown said: also, just because one school did rescinded offers doesn’t mean a bunch of schools will. the level of panic i’m seeing doesn’t really match the actual probability that this becomes a pattern That's a good point and what I'm trying to remind myself. I just already was afraid of getting the rug pulled out from under me before it happened to some people and now I'm on edge and other people freaking out freaks me out which freaks other people out.
beet_root Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 The exact language of the April 15 resolution: “If a student accepts an offer before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit a written resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. Applicants are not required to obtain a formal release from the program whose offer they accepted, either before or after the April 15 deadline. Once applicants have informed the program that they are withdrawing their acceptance of the offer, they then can accept any other offers.” It’s clearly not discouraged or even odd for a student to back out of an acceptance if they have specific guidance regarding that exact situation. glowingbrightly 1
glowingbrightly Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 28 minutes ago, Tinky C. Clown said: also, just because one school did rescinded offers doesn’t mean a bunch of schools will. the level of panic i’m seeing doesn’t really match the actual probability that this becomes a pattern Can I ask why you think this? I’m not calling for widespread contagion but with pitt and now northwestern, in addition to various others, I think there is good reason to act cautiously. This isn’t about fear or panic, it’s about being realistic in a terrible climate for pursuing graduate studies. And I see multiple people talking about the tragedy of a small cohort but this is just the reality. Most programs aren’t taking as many students, whether it’s publicized or not, and while that’s sad, it shouldn’t be devastating or a reason not to follow your dreams of being a writer, working with faculty who can push your work forward.
Tinky C. Clown Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 8 minutes ago, glowingbrightly said: Can I ask why you think this? I’m not calling for widespread contagion but with pitt and now northwestern, in addition to various others, I think there is good reason to act cautiously. This isn’t about fear or panic, it’s about being realistic in a terrible climate for pursuing graduate studies. And I see multiple people talking about the tragedy of a small cohort but this is just the reality. Most programs aren’t taking as many students, whether it’s publicized or not, and while that’s sad, it shouldn’t be devastating or a reason not to follow your dreams of being a writer, working with faculty who can push your work forward. 2 programs doesn't mean a pattern. i committed to a school because i was 100% certain about it, but i don't think this happening is reason to make a different decision/make it more quickly. i've seen multiple people on draft say they've accepted their offers straight up after seeing the northwestern thing, which feels unadvisable. i think a reasonable first step would be to email people in the department/grad school, and ask if there's any uncertainty. definitely do not make any decisions based on this. it's crazy to do that. maybe i'll eat my words if it does become a pattern, but it isn't one now.
glowingbrightly Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 6 minutes ago, Tinky C. Clown said: 2 programs doesn't mean a pattern. i committed to a school because i was 100% certain about it, but i don't think this happening is reason to make a different decision/make it more quickly. i've seen multiple people on draft say they've accepted their offers straight up after seeing the northwestern thing, which feels unadvisable. i think a reasonable first step would be to email people in the department/grad school, and ask if there's any uncertainty. definitely do not make any decisions based on this. it's crazy to do that. maybe i'll eat my words if it does become a pattern, but it isn't one now. I think it’s clearly a pattern and as @beet_root posted above, accepting an offer has no consequences other than personal security and maybe having to send an extra email. Word on the street is Northwestern profs had no idea this was coming and had 3 hours to decide on one student to keep before deferring other offers. Pitt profs are also said to be completely in the dark. I also committed to a school because I was 100% certain but not everyone has the luxury of certainty. I think calling anyone crazy for protecting themselves in this environment is in itself crazy. beet_root 1
penitentwanderer Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 9 minutes ago, glowingbrightly said: I think it’s clearly a pattern and as @beet_root posted above, accepting an offer has no consequences other than personal security and maybe having to send an extra email. Word on the street is Northwestern profs had no idea this was coming and had 3 hours to decide on one student to keep before deferring other offers. Pitt profs are also said to be completely in the dark. I also committed to a school because I was 100% certain but not everyone has the luxury of certainty. I think calling anyone crazy for protecting themselves in this environment is in itself crazy. Well, there are consequences to other applicants. It's a highly personal decision and everyone has to weigh what's best for them. But it's important to let people make their decisions without adding pressure. Helpful to have as much info as you can, but then the applicants must make their own choice, hopefully one that makes them feel good and not one made out of blind fear. Someone mentioned that an even smaller cohort isn't a reason to give up on your dreams of being a writer - but who said anything about giving up? No one's giving up, and an MFA doesn't make you a writer. But it is something you can only do once and do you want to do it without community? (though I understand that this can feel like a do-or-die scenario).
Tinky C. Clown Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 30 minutes ago, glowingbrightly said: I think it’s clearly a pattern and as @beet_root posted above, accepting an offer has no consequences other than personal security and maybe having to send an extra email. Word on the street is Northwestern profs had no idea this was coming and had 3 hours to decide on one student to keep before deferring other offers. Pitt profs are also said to be completely in the dark. I also committed to a school because I was 100% certain but not everyone has the luxury of certainty. I think calling anyone crazy for protecting themselves in this environment is in itself crazy. personally i need more than 2 instances of something to call it a pattern. BUT i do agree i was a tad harsh with the crazy assessment. i do think it would be bad if people freaking out makes more people freak out, because then we have a situation where a ton of people commit early, and then subsequently get off the waitlist and then renege on their commitments. we don't want this, because then being committed to a school then becomes less meaningful and everything becomes more precarious for everyone. so i'm in the camp of not committing to a school if you think there's a real chance you're gonna go somewhere else. Chex, Lady Gladys and decayingballads21 3
zaira Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 On the issue of consequences, there's one small, potentially unavoidable thing that could happen if a lot of people accept offers they might withdraw later. Let's say Joe Writer panics and accepts an offer at Program A that he's not totally sure about. Program A sends an email to their waitlist saying their cohort is confirmed. Jane Author, seeing this email, assumes it's useless to wait for Program A so she accepts a spot at her second choice, Program B. Then a couple weeks later, Joe Writer withdraws his acceptance at Program A. Now Jane Author is a little annoyed because she could have stayed on the waitlist, but she didn't because she thought all of the available spots were confirmed. Again, I'm not saying you should make choices based on this somewhat-unlikely scenario. You need to focus on whatever makes sense for your specific situation. I don't blame anyone for wanting to confirm spots ASAP. Jane Wyman, Tinky C. Clown, ksiezniczka.monisia and 1 other 3 1
exvat Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 Just chiming in to say that from a coldly mathematical perspective, you need at least 3 data points to define a trend—and even then, it's probably a flimsy assumption to make any consequential decision on, barring significant contributions from other data sets. (Count the modifiers and conditionals 👆) Lady Gladys, Jane Wyman and everything bagel lover 2 1
decayingballads21 Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 12 hours ago, beet_root said: Keep in mind: if you’ve been offered a spot at a school that signed the April 15 resolution, but you’re waiting on other programs before you make your final decision, you can always just accept the first offer and back out if you change your mind. If you do it by April 15, you won’t be penalized. Better to endure the temporary awkwardness of declining an offer you previously accepted than lose out on a spot in a program. penalized! how so?😭
P i e r r o t Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 (edited) 31 minutes ago, zaira said: On the issue of consequences, there's one small, potentially unavoidable thing that could happen if a lot of people accept offers they might withdraw later. Let's say Joe Writer panics and accepts an offer at Program A that he's not totally sure about. Program A sends an email to their waitlist saying their cohort is confirmed. Jane Author, seeing this email, assumes it's useless to wait for Program A so she accepts a spot at her second choice, Program B. Then a couple weeks later, Joe Writer withdraws his acceptance at Program A. Now Jane Author is a little annoyed because she could have stayed on the waitlist, but she didn't because she thought all of the available spots were confirmed. Again, I'm not saying you should make choices based on this somewhat-unlikely scenario. You need to focus on whatever makes sense for your specific situation. I don't blame anyone for wanting to confirm spots ASAP. This isn't unlikely at all! It's exactly this people are worried about and cautioning against, it seems—and I agree. I'm firmly in the "all info is good info" camp, but that Draft post got people a bit unnecessarily freaked, I think. Just my two cents. Edited March 26, 2025 by P i e r r o t zaira, Hjanep and Tinky C. Clown 1 2
Eloise2897 Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 5 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said: penalized! how so?😭 If you try to decline a program after April 15th, you have to formally request to be released from your obligation to that school in order to be accepted at the other program, and they can refuse to release you. As far as I understand it, at least. beet_root 1
glowingbrightly Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 14 minutes ago, exvat said: Just chiming in to say that from a coldly mathematical perspective, you need at least 3 data points to define a trend—and even then, it's probably a flimsy assumption to make any consequential decision on, barring significant contributions from other data sets. (Count the modifiers and conditionals 👆) Northwestern, Pitt, Iowa International Writer’s Program, and Hamline make 4. I also know Irvine and Brown took 1 less student per genre this year. As it stands, we are lucky to be relatively unscathed but fields like biomed are having PhD offers rescinded left and right. 6 minutes ago, P i e r r o t said: This isn't unlikely at all! It's exactly this people are worried about and cautioning against, it seems—and I agree. I'm firmly in the "all info is good info" camp, but that Draft post got people a bit unnecessarily freaked, I think. Just my two cents. And making—or not making—decisions based on imagined waitlist movement is silly—if you are on a waitlist with an open offer this late in the game then that’s just the way it is and you shouldn’t blame yourself or others for taking the offers available to you. beet_root 1
zaira Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 1 minute ago, glowingbrightly said: I also know Irvine and Brown took 1 less student per genre this year. Not to get argumentative because I really feel this comes down to personal choice, but I didn't hear anything about Brown accepting one fewer this year. They ordinarily accept four, and on the website they changed it to five this year. Also I heard that another top school (I won't say which because I'm unsure if it's info they want posted publicly or not) added one additional acceptance to their cohort this year, bringing it up from four to five. Yes, funding is under threat as a whole. Yes, things are scary. But I also feel there's no need to all-out panic. I also fully understand the frustration and terror right now. It's a shitty situation for everyone. Chex, P i e r r o t and Jane Wyman 3
decayingballads21 Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 7 minutes ago, zaira said: Not to get argumentative because I really feel this comes down to personal choice, but I didn't hear anything about Brown accepting one fewer this year. They ordinarily accept four, and on the website they changed it to five this year. Also I heard that another top school (I won't say which because I'm unsure if it's info they want posted publicly or not) added one additional acceptance to their cohort this year, bringing it up from four to five. Yes, funding is under threat as a whole. Yes, things are scary. But I also feel there's no need to all-out panic. I also fully understand the frustration and terror right now. It's a shitty situation for everyone. Yes also idaho is taking 5 nonfiction students this year and last year they had 2
exvat Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 Will add for myself: I am still waiting to commit, based on and at the encouragement of conversations with schools and their current/past MFAs. They have told me that, for my individual circumstances, waiting and gathering more data is the best strategy for me right now. The thought of a rescinded acceptance because of funding issues, politics, etc. does not frighten me, even if I assume it's a realistic possibility. My life collapsed in 2023; I lost much, nearly died, and miraculously recovered. An MFA is what I want to do next with my life, and I am thrilled to have been accepted to 2 amazing programs in my dream city. But if the rug gets pulled out from under me by a rescinded acceptance—even if it's partly because I waited to confirm my slot—then, as I shared here in a story like six weeks ago, "Oh! Okay, bye bye." I have survived far, far worse. I have lost much, much more valuable things than a slot at a vaunted MFA program. If I lose this too, then I will pivot and figure something else out. I learned that I had resilience beyond anything I could have imagined, and I suspect many here would find the same in such circumstances, either in the midst of or after the suffering. I will not let the specter of one possible future haunt my present. It took me 39 years to learn that, but that lesson alone has reduced my own suffering in this application cycle enormously. May you all be at ease 🙏 Chex, curfew, Lady Gladys and 5 others 8
everything bagel lover Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 Side note: I Just got my official rejection from Wyoming. It was very sweet and they encouraged me to apply again next year if I was still interested. I'm unsure if this was on everyone's email or not but the email overall is very kind. ❤️ prufrock_, exvat and zaira 3
inthesameboat Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 On 3/25/2025 at 8:44 AM, Eloise2897 said: [to the tune of Wonderwall] Toooday is gonna be the day that I make it off the list at 'Cuse/ By now, these schools should somehow realize what they've gotta do/ I can't believe that Minnesota wouldn't want me in their cohort now... (don't think I've ever felt this unhinged in my life) BTW, I reached out a few days ago to check in about the Syracuse fiction waitlist and they said that only 1 person had accepted the offer so far. Maybe there's hope for us 😅 Hjanep, Eloise2897 and Lady Gladys 3
carrruly Posted March 26, 2025 Posted March 26, 2025 On 3/24/2025 at 3:54 PM, essentialflowers said: please let me know if you find an answer!!! trying not to be delusional about it bahaha it looks like no rejections have been sent yet for NC State and from the draft it looks like at least ~10 other people got this email just looking at posts and comments....one girl said she replied on the email to ask if it really was a second waitlist or if it was sent to everyone but it looks like she hasn't heard back yet...im starting to think they really just sent this to everyone which SUCKS because it really got my hopes up lol
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now