USC - urban ed

HigherEdNerd

From the results section, it looks like people are starting to hear so I just thought I'd start a thread in case anyone else wants to discuss. I haven't heard anything so I don't know if it just takes longer for rejection letters to go out, or if they're still finalizing the cohort.... ;)

From what I know and this is from someone working within the office ( a personal friend)...we aren't suppose to hear back from USC till early feb to mid feb.

Oh that is great to know. Thanks for posting educ2011. I was being to wonder when my application status still said "submitted." Here's hoping that we are all successful. Does anyone know if they have a recruitment weekend for admitted students? (I like to stay positive ;))

Well that's good to hear! I just wasn't sure since in the survey, one person said they received an acceptance call from a professor in mid-January, and then another (or maybe the same person?) posted they received an offer in the mail last week.

Re: recruitment weekends, I believe they do have one in March but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes - hopefully we will all hear good news soon! Here's to staying positive :)

Well that's good to hear! I just wasn't sure since in the survey, one person said they received an acceptance call from a professor in mid-January, and then another (or maybe the same person?) posted they received an offer in the mail last week.

Re: recruitment weekends, I believe they do have one in March but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes - hopefully we will all hear good news soon! Here's to staying positive :)

Yes, yes I saw that too and thought the same thing as you did, HigherEdNerd. I assume it was the same person but he/she never responded to some of the questions that were posted on the results section so I didn't know what to think. Although, if it wasn't true-- urban ed policy at USC is a random admission result to make up.

Are you just applying to schools in CA? I saw that you had also applied to UCLA.

Best of luck. It seems like these next couple weeks is when we should be hearing from programs.

Hi,

Good job everyone! Although I didnt apply to USC, I did apply to UCLA for Urban Ed.

I hope we hear soon! this wait is driving me nuts!

Yes, yes I saw that too and thought the same thing as you did, HigherEdNerd. I assume it was the same person but he/she never responded to some of the questions that were posted on the results section so I didn't know what to think. Although, if it wasn't true-- urban ed policy at USC is a random admission result to make up.

Are you just applying to schools in CA? I saw that you had also applied to UCLA.

Best of luck. It seems like these next couple weeks is when we should be hearing from programs.

Yeah, I'm trying to stay in southern California, so I'm most concerned with hearing back from these two schools!!!

Good luck to you too. The waiting game is tough!

I am not the person that claimed the admit earlier, but I did get in. I got notification two weeks ago. However, the professor I talked to seemed to say that each admitted student had to be basically chosen by their advisor. The professor's funding helps fund each Phd's tuition so maybe some professors were faster at choosing their grad students? I'm not sure.

Edited by FingersCrossedX

I am not the person that claimed the admit earlier, but I did get in. I got notification two weeks ago. However, the professor I talked to seemed to say that each admitted student had to be basically chosen by their advisor. The professor's funding helps fund each Phd's tuition so maybe some professors were faster at choosing their grad students? I'm not sure.

thanks for the info. congratulations!

Yes, congratulations! Thanks for your post.

rejection letter in the mail today. very competitive according to the letter. best of luck to those of you that haven't heard yet.

Oy. First of all - SO SORRY :( Total bummer!!!

Second... now I am dreading going home and checking the mail! But at least any news is better than waiting I guess...and that's my positive spin.

rejection letter in the mail today. very competitive according to the letter. best of luck to those of you that haven't heard yet.

Total bummer! I haven't been home either to check my mail-- but I assume if it was positive we would have heard by now.

...and I'm right there with you! Thanks for the heads up... it allowed me to pick up a bottle of wine on the way home :)

Here's to better news soon!!!

...and I'm right there with you! Thanks for the heads up... it allowed me to pick up a bottle of wine on the way home :)

Here's to better news soon!!!

I haven't received anything yet but I assume it is because I am far away from USC and it will take a couple days until the mail arrives. I'll be with you all soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else received an e-mail stating that their application is now being reviewed from the Graduate Admission office? I received an e-mail stating that my application was missing a part and that I needed to respond ASAP, but I already received a application decision... anyone have a clue what is going on?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got admitted to MAT, single subject! USC was definitely one of my top schools, and I think I'll be going. I am a bit concerned with the cost. around $45k. I haven't heard anything about scholarships but does anyone else think this may be excessive, considering I also have about $20k as an undergrad, for a future teacher?