I submitted my SOP to U of Toronto last week for my MA application. It was supposed to be 500 words, and mine was 646. I couldn't reduce it anymore than I already had, and I was about 1 minute from the deadline so I submitted as-is.

How big of a problem do you think this is? Do you always respect word counts, and if not, have you been penalized for it?

What about writing shorter statements than requested (800 words instead of 1000-1500?)

I like to think that quality counts over quantity, and I imagine that adcomms get really annoyed when they have to read too much over their word limits - but I am curious to hear about your experiences.

Usually 500 words just means two pages double spaced. If you SOP didn't go on to a third page, I think you are fine. Believe me, the adcomm is not taking the time to count the number of words in your SOP! They have more important issues to deal with.

I definitely played fast and loose with word count guidelines as well as writing sample guidelines.

"Approximately 1000 words" turned into 1300 words.

"15-20 pages dlb spaced" turned into 25.

---

I figure if they like what they see then guidelines don't matter. If they are interested in what you wrote for the first 500 words, then they'll read through to the last and not penalize you for it.

EDIT: I will say that for guidelines that left no ambiguity (e.g. "Absolutely no more than 20 pgs), I made changes, but most guidelines left at least a little room for ambiguity and I erred on the side of length.

Edited by jprufrock

FWIW, I have known faculty (and adcomms) who stop reading at page X or an approximate amount of words based on estimates. How frequently that happens, I would guess not very, but it happens.

• 1 month later...

No one -- okay, maybe nine people ever since grad school began -- has ever written something along the idea of an SOP, LOI or any other TLA associated with grad school that was so compelling that it couldn't be put down. No matter how strongly you burn with the need to go to University A and study Subject B under Professor C, no matter how long you've know this, the committee has seen it before. A lot of people think they are great writers. And a lot of them are wrong. If you're given X number of pages, you're given X number of pages. If I were on the committee and I had a pile of 50 applicants, 49 of which had adhered to the page limit, I would have one overriding thought when I picked up that one over-the-limit essay: This had better be good. And by good, I mean the best of the entire bundle because otherwise I see no reason for why you felt the rules didn't apply to you, and it inclines me to think that you are going to do the same sort of thing with research, classes, and deadlines. Yes, it's a university. It's also a business. Everyone can't be a free spirit, marching to the beat of their own drum, man.

I really don't think it matters. For most SoPs, no more than two pages. You can play around with margins, spacing, etc...they're not going to count the words in the document. Most schools that asked for 1000 words got 1200-1300 from me and I don't think it hurt me in the long run.

I'm sure its fine to go a little over (maybe 1050 on a 1000 word count statement) and I'm sure lots of people go over way more than that and get in, but personally I think its a gamble. You want your SOP to be judged on its merit, not thrown out because you were slightly too verbose. You are always facing the possibility that an ad com member will take a look, think "why can't this guy follow the instructions like the rest of the 500 candidates" and will either not consider it OR make it count against you. Again, I'm sure this isn't too common a problem, but faced with two completely equivalent candidates, surely the only who has gone within the word limit will get the offer....