Emailing school about application status

neuropsych76

Waiting it out is certainly difficult and I, like probably everyone else, would like to know already where we are headed off to next fall (if anywhere).

I've seen on the results page that some people emailed the school about their status (and almost always received a rejection email in return). Is this ever a good idea? I can see the pros of knowing earlier about your status but it seems like it would be a superfluous email to send. I know a few schools I applied to already sent out interview invites so I'm probably getting some more rejections soon, but I was just wondering if asking about one's application status is common/practical.

Thanks all!

Waiting it out is certainly difficult and I, like probably everyone else, would like to know already where we are headed off to next fall (if anywhere).

I've seen on the results page that some people emailed the school about their status (and almost always received a rejection email in return). Is this ever a good idea? I can see the pros of knowing earlier about your status but it seems like it would be a superfluous email to send. I know a few schools I applied to already sent out interview invites so I'm probably getting some more rejections soon, but I was just wondering if asking about one's application status is common/practical.

Thanks all!

I would not email at this point. If they want to contact you, they will. Otherwise, hold tight. The only time at this point I feel it would be acceptable to send out an email to the schools you have applied to is in the instance that your contact information has changed, in case of an emergency that would cause you not to be able to view results in a timely fashion (i.e. a death in the family causing you to have to go overseas for several weeks/months) or in the case that you have realized there is a missing component to your application. Other than that, I would not email or call until April 15 at this point.