I Heard From a School

I Paint Faces

what is your work like? just curious...

Very techno oriented, a lot of it is spanning the gamut of technology, I use scripts, found image, devices...all kinds of stuff.

Here: www.chrissilva.net - go check it out, not everything there was in my portfolio and not all of my portfolio was stuff that is on there.

Edited by racuerex

Very techno oriented, a lot of it is spanning the gamut of technology, I use scripts, found image, devices...all kinds of stuff.

Here: www.chrissilva.net - go check it out, not everything there was in my portfolio and not all of my portfolio was stuff that is on there.

cool I like the aura installation.. Well i guess you have to trust that people will accept you where you fit.

That does not really soften the blow of rejection though. Im still waiting for mine to roll in! I guess we all get over it in time

cool I like the aura installation.. Well i guess you have to trust that people will accept you where you fit.

That does not really soften the blow of rejection though. Im still waiting for mine to roll in! I guess we all get over it in time

Thanks, ya, just frustrating that so much of my future is wrapped in this weird decision making process that the schools go through.

well, you dont _HAVE_ to go to grad school. I have friends who are doing great in the art world without.

(they are amazing and work their butts off though!)

I am mainly looking to get teaching experience to help support my art and a couple of years to focus on making stuff.

tho the "stamp of approval" from somewhere famous would be good.

I did not even apply to RISDI or Yale - it just frustrates me that there is this expected path that great artists must go through (which often involves huge debt)

that said I would certainly love to be in the final 14 out of 900+ applicants. what an ego boost!

Thanks, ya, just frustrating that so much of my future is wrapped in this weird decision making process that the schools go through.

UCSB so far

congrats! just curious, when did you get your application in? seems early for admittance since the deadline was a month ago, every other school i applied to has at least a 2 month wait for response. i applied for photo too, haven't heard anything.

Has anyone heard anything from Stanford?

It doesn't seem like a very popular choice, but it's by far my top pick. I got an interview there last year, which they told me about on February 7th, so I'm getting nervous!

well, you dont _HAVE_ to go to grad school. I have friends who are doing great in the art world without.

(they are amazing and work their butts off though!)

I am mainly looking to get teaching experience to help support my art and a couple of years to focus on making stuff.

tho the "stamp of approval" from somewhere famous would be good.

I did not even apply to RISDI or Yale - it just frustrates me that there is this expected path that great artists must go through (which often involves huge debt)

that said I would certainly love to be in the final 14 out of 900+ applicants. what an ego boost!

Ya, its not that I don't want to go to grad school, you and I are in the same boat, we want teaching experience as well as a little time.

I don't think there is a set path for me at all, I really only applied to schools I visited, and RISD seemed to be a fluke that i even ended up on that campus, even bigger fluke that I ran right into the head of the dept I wanted to apply to (steve smith) and got to sit and talk with him about the program.

congrats! just curious, when did you get your application in? seems early for admittance since the deadline was a month ago, every other school i applied to has at least a 2 month wait for response. i applied for photo too, haven't heard anything.

I got it in a little early, they called me about a week after the deadline stating that I had been accepted. I just recently about a week ago (jan 31st) got an official looking email from them saying that a decision is available for my application:

"It is our pleasure to inform you that you have been admitted for graduate study at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Chancellor Henry T. Yang and I congratulate you and know that your academic studies will be both invigorating and rewarding.

You have been admitted for Fall 2011 to the Department of Art for:

-Master of Fine Arts (MFA)"

Oh...and I forget what discipline I applied for...I think it was either photo or digital media...but their program the more I look at it seems like a good fit.

Edited by racuerex

Today - snail mail postmarked 2/8 (I'm in New York).

Uh-oh.

I gave my new york address in my app, but am not there to receive mail.

(if I got anything!) I assumed everyone would use email..

Now I need to check up on that one.

I got a rejection letter in the mail today from SAIC. I applied for 3 different departments, but the letter specifically says it's from the Fiber and Material Studies department. I guess that means I'm still waiting to hear from Painting and Drawing and Sculpture. Anybody else in the same boat?

I got a rejection letter in the mail today from SAIC. I applied for 3 different departments, but the letter specifically says it's from the Fiber and Material Studies department. I guess that means I'm still waiting to hear from Painting and Drawing and Sculpture. Anybody else in the same boat?

Did you have three distinct bodies of work? Most schools require separate portfolios for each department you apply to. If so, that's an impressive amount of work!

Did you have three distinct bodies of work? Most schools require separate portfolios for each department you apply to. If so, that's an impressive amount of work!

I submitted mostly the same work to all three departments. It's hard for me to fit into any one department because my practice is naturally interdisciplinary. My work is basically process oriented and very tied up in exploring materials and their various properties. I'm an object maker, but the things I make tend to defy categories. My portfolio includes a lot of what might be thought of as drawings, but I tend to describe them in traditionally sculptural terms. All my work is formally very tightly controlled, and even the work across different materials is clearly related.

Anyway, if I got accepted to any one of those departments I'd likely be working in all three.

SAIC doesn't stipulate anything about sharing work from one discipline to another, and the faculty in different areas don't check up on that stuff.

to Another: if you get an interview in sculpture let me know who you are when you get here.