I Heard From a School

I Paint Faces

yes, I think they do--at least for painting/ printmaking. i'm waiting as well. i heard that they notify you in feb if you're a finalist/ will get an interview.

Not yet :( Please post if you hear anything-- also, do you know if they do interviews?

Alright! Good to know.. makes me nervous, but we'll see if I make it to the interview round. Good luck, Lisad and Mbgrad

yes, I think they do--at least for painting/ printmaking. i'm waiting as well. i heard that they notify you in feb if you're a finalist/ will get an interview.

Edited by pickupsticks

this this a great forum! even though it's making me worry alot more.

I was looking forward to SAIC but maybe they've sent out their interview invites (for MFA Painting) already. congrats on you peoples who got it. lordy help the rest of us still waiting....

I submitted mostly the same work to all three departments. It's hard for me to fit into any one department because my practice is naturally interdisciplinary. My work is basically process oriented and very tied up in exploring materials and their various properties. I'm an object maker, but the things I make tend to defy categories. My portfolio includes a lot of what might be thought of as drawings, but I tend to describe them in traditionally sculptural terms. All my work is formally very tightly controlled, and even the work across different materials is clearly related.

Anyway, if I got accepted to any one of those departments I'd likely be working in all three.

Oh, I totally understand why you'd submit to multiple departments. I was just curious since I had hoped to do the same, but most schools explicitly stated that they required separate and distinct portfolios for each. Just curious...

SAIC doesn't stipulate anything about sharing work from one discipline to another, and the faculty in different areas don't check up on that stuff.

to Another: if you get an interview in sculpture let me know who you are when you get here.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying–good to know! I can see a school not wanting the exact same portfolio repeated, but I can't see why certain pieces can't be used in multiple portfolios if they make sense across media/departments.

Anyway, thanks and good luck!

Ah! Thanks for clarifying–good to know! I can see a school not wanting the exact same portfolio repeated, but I can't see why certain pieces can't be used in multiple portfolios if they make sense across media/departments.

Anyway, thanks and good luck!

The departments actually ask for different numbers of pieces in the Slideroom portfolio, so you can't really repeat the same portfolio for all of them. I also re-ordered the work for emphasis. At SAIC it's the same price to apply for up to 3 departments and all the supporting materials are the same (e.g. you only submit one SOP), so I figured I'd increase my odds and go for 3. The only potential downside I could see is that I had to address specifically why I applied to each department in the SOP, so I worry that talking about all 3 may have watered down my statement. We'll see if it pays off ...

any painters hear from SAIC

Whoa — I got a request for an interview with SAIC's Painting and Drawing department in the mail today. I was expecting a rejection since that's their most competitive department. What a surprise! I'm really excited (and more than a little intimidated) at the thought of talking about my work with Michelle Grabner.

Still waiting to hear back from Sculpture.

Whoa — I got a request for an interview with SAIC's Painting and Drawing department in the mail today. I was expecting a rejection since that's their most competitive department. What a surprise! I'm really excited (and more than a little intimidated) at the thought of talking about my work with Michelle Grabner.

Wooooooooooohooooooooooooo!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know you and I am super excited for you...

Congrats, Another! Just curious, where is your location/state? When are the painting interviews? I heard the painting interview letter is postmarked on 2/10. If I don't get a letter from painting tomorrow, I will assume I didn't get one.

Heh, thanks guys! There's still a long way to go, but it's nice to celebrate the little victories here.

I'm in San Francisco. Fiber & Material Studies was postmarked 2/9 and Painting and Drawing postmarked 2/10, but the letters are both dated February 7, 2011. Now I'm expecting Sculpture to show up tomorrow, we'll see.

Waiting Game, congrats on the CalArts interview — that's huge!

Heh, thanks guys! There's still a long way to go, but it's nice to celebrate the little victories here.

I'm in San Francisco. Fiber & Material Studies was postmarked 2/9 and Painting and Drawing postmarked 2/10, but the letters are both dated February 7, 2011. Now I'm expecting Sculpture to show up tomorrow, we'll see.

Waiting Game, congrats on the CalArts interview — that's huge!

thanks Another! keep me posted on when you hear from Hunter and USC. I also applied to those two schools.

Awesome!! thats a tough one to get into. You will love the faculty there... Tomiko Jones is one of my favs, and an alum from UofA, where I am post-bacc'ing right now.

Accepted to the University of New Mexico for photography via an email sent out yesterday.

first time post long time lurker.

so far i have/had interviews with MICA, Yale, and Tonight i heard that UC IRVINE is asking to interview.

Still waiting to hear from VCU, UCLA, USC, Rutgers

anyone heard from these schools?

oh yeah/ its sculpture. mostly do installation, performance, video

Edited by lurkinglurk

I got an acceptance email from UC Berkeley today! They're mailing me an official letter with all the details of their offer, but according to the website it's fully funded and they even give a small stipend to some students — plus there are paid teaching opportunities. I'm still waiting to hear back from 4 other programs, but it's going to be tough to beat that.

I got an acceptance email from UC Berkeley today! They're mailing me an official letter with all the details of their offer, but according to the website it's fully funded and they even give a small stipend to some students — plus there are paid teaching opportunities. I'm still waiting to hear back from 4 other programs, but it's going to be tough to beat that.

Congrats!!!

yes, this was super weird. i had the exact same experience. question: they offered me a 1pm time next mon, and asked if that would be convenient, but i'm actually going to be traveling for work, so i wrote back and (very politely) asked if there were any alternate times. that was last night, and i still haven't heard--they wouldn't retract the interview just because i asked for a different time, right? i'm so jumpy and paranoid, that i'm starting to convince myself that that's what happened. should i not have asked??

You probably have it figured out by now, but the admissions lady at Penn called me for an interview time and when I couldn't do the interview at their time she let me do it a different day without seeming annoyed at all. Mine's tomorrow at 2:40.

Edited by eleven

Hey everybody! I have been checking out this site for some time, and finally decided to join the fray! I applied to printmedia at SAIC but I haven't heard anything. Anyone get an interview or rejection from that department yet?

rejected

yale

accepted

University of Chicago

Washington University in St. Louis (WashU)

no word yet

SAIC

CalArts

Columbia

New York University (NYU)

UCSD