I Heard From a School

I Paint Faces

I've been shy about reporting my results, but my husband insists that I have a responsibility to the people on this forum. He's right. You guys are great, and the discussions here have been really useful to me, so I hope my results are useful to you. I applied to all of the following programs as a photographer. Here goes:

UC Davis - Accepted via telephone 2/2/11

Yale - Rejected via website 2/4/11

University of New Mexico - Accepted via email 2/13/11

UC Irvine - Invited to interview via telephone 2/15/11 (interviewing in early March)

UC Riverside - Rejected via email 2/17/11

UCLA - Accepted via telephone 2/18/11 (notified that I was a finalist via telephone 2/7/11)

UC San Diego - No news yet

University of Oregon - No news yet (word on the street is that their letters will go out in early March)

Congrats to those of you who have received good news already, and good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

That's pretty amazing! congrats! do you have a website? would love to see your work.

I've been shy about reporting my results, but my husband insists that I have a responsibility to the people on this forum. He's right. You guys are great, and the discussions here have been really useful to me, so I hope my results are useful to you. I applied to all of the following programs as a photographer. Here goes:

UC Irvine - Invited to interview via telephone 2/15/11 (interviewing in early March)

UCLA - Accepted via telephone 2/18/11 (notified that I was a finalist via telephone 2/7/11)

University of Oregon - No news yet (word on the street is that their letters will go out in early March)

Congrats to those of you who have received good news already, and good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

congrats to you! i applied to ucla and unm for photo also- you must be ecstatic!

Congrats on your acceptances! Are you leaning towards any program moreso than the others yet?

That's pretty amazing! congrats! do you have a website? would love to see your work.

I have some work online, but I'm not comfortable linking to it here. I don't want to make it easy for schools to connect my posts here to my applications, and I don't want to open myself up to "well, I don't think she deserved to get into..." snarkiness. I'm probably overestimating the interest schools take in online forums and underestimating the kind people on this forum, but that's how I feel. I'll PM you.

congrats to you! i applied to ucla and unm for photo also- you must be ecstatic!

Oh boy, I am. I've had a big stupid grin on my face for days.

Congrats on your acceptances! Are you leaning towards any program moreso than the others yet?

UCLA is and has always been my top choice--amazing art department faculty, great location, great University as a whole, and student work that I really respond to. UNM seems like a wonderful place, with dedicated faculty and a real sense of community. I'd say it's my second choice. I don't know a whole lot about Davis yet, but I like the little bit I do know. I'm supposed to visit in April.

UCLA is and has always been my top choice--amazing art department faculty, great location, great University as a whole, and student work that I really respond to. UNM seems like a wonderful place, with dedicated faculty and a real sense of community. I'd say it's my second choice. I don't know a whole lot about Davis yet, but I like the little bit I do know. I'm supposed to visit in April.

Congrats!

Ok, so I'm in Africa and the Old Man (never one to be exact when you need him to be) sends me an email (from the UK) Re: MFA Photo application stating that:

'Pratt have sent a graduate bulletin (v large book) plus invitation to an information session etc, letter ends with "look forward to hearing from you"'

Is this some kind of acceptance?

Nope. I got that too. Sent to me about 2-3 weeks ago.

Congrats Allie! Thanks, or, thanks to your husband for posting. I was rejected from UC Riverside on the 17th too! You applied to a great bunch of schools. I take it you're from the west coast... I would love to see your site too (via message). I totally understand your reasons for not wanting to post it on here... I prefer that kind of privacy too. I'm surprised (given this list) that you didn't apply to USC! I almost applied to UCLA but decided it wasn't a good match. Hope to 'see' from you.

Hi All! Congrats to having heard! I was wondering if any of you are international applicants? I am and I heard rumors that SAIC and SMFA just accepts international applicants without an in person interview. FYI--i applied painting. If there are any international students in the forum that have heard back id greatly appreciate knowing.

SAIC

HUNTER

USC

SMFA

COlumbia

Hi All! Congrats to having heard! I was wondering if any of you are international applicants? I am and I heard rumors that SAIC and SMFA just accepts international applicants without an in person interview. FYI--i applied painting. If there are any international students in the forum that have heard back id greatly appreciate knowing.

SAIC

HUNTER

USC

SMFA

COlumbia

I am not applying to SAIC but I am international. I have only heard back from school.

damn, more UCLA results... :/

I wonder why people are so afraid of the schools looking at posts? I mean really, do you think they are going to base their whole decision on what you say on a message board? I mean, that shit is weird, if they would use it to somehow pin you to the wall, do you really want to go there anyways?

I still want to know if anyone has heard (or heard of anyone hearing) from any of these schools:

USC

UCSD

RISD

Columbia

Edited by racuerex

I wonder why people are so afraid of the schools looking at posts? I mean really, do you think they are going to base their whole decision on what you say on a message board? I mean, that shit is weird, if they would use it to somehow pin you to the wall, do you really want to go there anyways?

I've seen people that can easily be connected to their identities through their posts say mean things about schools they want to go to on these boards. Part of the purpose of recommendation letters is to let the schools you're applying to know that you're not a sociopath/will get along with people there, so why even take the risk of doing something that may lower their opinion of you? Try Googling something like Facebook fired: you'll find tons of examples of careless Internet activity getting people into trouble. The fact that people may be looking at what you do online doesn't mean that they're jerks, it just means they're using all the tools available to them to make an informed decision.

Anonymity just seems like the smartest choice.

Agreed, I don't get it.

But I guess everyone should do what's best for keeping their own anxiety levels down & for some I guess that might mean keeping their online presence as untraceable as possible.

I totally understand and agree with everything you stated. Although, I keep myself open with the hopes that people read more about me to get to know me. I don't really understand why anyone would apply to a school they would have negative things to say about, thats probably an indicator that they are looking at a place that does not fit them. I looked at the facebook fired posts and most of them were corporate jobs, I hope that being an artist affords us a little more freedom of speech and will than corporate america.

I've seen people that can easily be connected to their identities through their posts say mean things about schools they want to go to on these boards. Part of the purpose of recommendation letters is to let the schools you're applying to know that you're not a sociopath/will get along with people there, so why even take the risk of doing something that may lower their opinion of you? Try Googling something like Facebook fired: you'll find tons of examples of careless Internet activity getting people into trouble. The fact that people may be looking at what you do online doesn't mean that they're jerks, it just means they're using all the tools available to them to make an informed decision.

Anonymity just seems like the smartest choice.

UCLA!!! Hells Yeah! (with $$$!!!)

hey kashkool, you found out yesterday? did they call? I had tried connecting with the faculty that left me a message the other night but haven't heard anything back.

its a small program and it sounds like they've made their decisions, any painting admits out there for ucla? ugh, in my top two schools...

congrats to you!

hey kashkool, you found out yesterday? did they call? I had tried connecting with the faculty that left me a message the other night but haven't heard anything back.

its a small program and it sounds like they've made their decisions, any painting admits out there for ucla? ugh, in my top two schools...

congrats to you!

found out today. phone interview two days ago. g'luck to all!

SAIC has in-person or phone interviews for most departments (performance is the only one I know that doesn't have interviews). Most international students opt for the phone interview.

SAIC

HUNTER

USC

SMFA

COlumbia

I am international student who has a Skype interview with SAIC on March 5.

I totally understand and agree with everything you stated. Although, I keep myself open with the hopes that people read more about me to get to know me. I don't really understand why anyone would apply to a school they would have negative things to say about, thats probably an indicator that they are looking at a place that does not fit them. I looked at the facebook fired posts and most of them were corporate jobs, I hope that being an artist affords us a little more freedom of speech and will than corporate america.

Initially when i joined this little forum I had thought, sure. What a great way to connect with other people applying to the same programs I am, this will give me a better understanding of when and how the decisions are made. Now I think to myself "why on earth would i put myself through this?" It's hard enough isn't it?

Either way, i really feel more connected with other artists, through the rejection and the acceptance process. It's like an open crit, but no one shows their work . . . which feels a bit odd to me. And in my opinion, isn't it good to know that prospective faculty would be checking this out? If your confident in what you do, show it! Call it whatever you want, the more exposure the more response, the more interaction.

That's what these things are for right?

agree. seriously, i wouldn't worry about it at all. it's simply not a very interesting idea. (maybe only those corporation / banking / whatever of those stereotypical industry would even think to do such thing.) we are all too busy to stalk someone on internet forums - if any of us, including admission staff, has those kind of time and energy (unless they have a crush on you personally, of course), i'd be worried about their energy in making art. i wouldn't base my judgment on, for example, a random comment someone makes on a casual forum. it's not like grad school cafe is some sort of secret powerful organization... plus, i haven't seen anyone here saying anything rude or politically incorrect to any schools. cheers. smile.gif

Edited by daiy