Human Development and Family Studies

xoteeny

Hey Everyone!

It is hard to find a topic just for HDFS so here it is!

Has anyone heard back from HDFS, or Child Development Programs (e.g. Tufts University) or even the Joint Program in Social Work and Social Science?

Hi,

I received an invitation for a visitation weekend at Vanderbilt, the Community Research and Action program. I think the whole Peabody College invites short-listed applicants on Feb 18-20. For the CRA program, 10 applicants are invited.

I also received a rejection from the Personality and Social Contexts program at UM Ann Arbor. I wanted to apply to the Joint Program in SWSS, but the redtape was too much for me.

I know that NYU Steinhardt, the Psychology and Social Intervention program will send invitations any minute now.

DePaul University, Community Psychology program are also ready with the shortlist, but the weather shut down the university and they haven't sent out the letters.

Where are you applying to?

I applied to Tufts for the Child Development program--haven't heard anything yet!

I looked at the Results page of the forum not too long ago and it looks like people are typically notified between mid-February to early March. I want to hear now!!! tongue.gif

Congrats to the people who have heard/got an interview! I didn't get an email about interviews for NYU Steinhardt so I don't think I made it to the short list. But I found out I was accepted to the University of Wisconsin-Madison...I got an email from my POI a few days ago. That is the only school I heard from. Have those of you who applied to Tufts applied for a TA position in the lab schools? I sent in my application last Friday on the extended due date and haven't gotten a confirmation that it was received.

I was really tempted to send in an application for the GAship at Tufts, but I'd much rather do research and volunteer in the lab school when I have time. I figured if I did get only an M.A. offer then maybe an RAship/TAship might present itself after the first semester or first year. I also figured if I am in as an MA student I really want to diversify my course load and load up on quant and methods classes so that I am more marketable to organizations when I am done with the degree. The lab school position seemed like a great deal, but I imagined it would severely hinder course selection. I guess I rolled the dice a bit.

One thing I wasn't sure of, and I can always go through the site. The language about program cost seems a bit vague. It sounds like it is 30K for the entire program upfront not on a yearly basis. With a significant scholarship, and some nice government backed aid in the form of grants, that certainly would make the program highly affordable.

I also thought about applying for the GAship at the lab school, but decided against it because of the scheduling difficulties that would come along with it. I'm also looking to do research.

I hadn't noticed the tuition explanation until you pointed it out, but I am reluctant to think that the entire program would be 38k--the wording is definitely confusing. A scholarship would be awesome! Do you know if Tufts is usually pretty generous with tuition scholarships?

I have heard yes from people here. Many M.A. students receive tuition remission.

Did I miss something? What is a TAship in the lab school? Are you looking to be an educator?

I always thought the TAship and RAship were departmental and the GAship was Tuft's way to get students working in the lab school.

The wording of tuition makes it sound like you pay for the entire program up front. That is kind of an incredible deal!

I applied to the MA with thesis. I was referring to the "GTAship." It is Tufts way of getting grad students to work at the lab school. I would like to get more applied experience, but I think I would like to focus more on research and classes (like you) with the possibility of an internship in an outside organization.

As for the tuition--it would be a swell deal.

Yes those are all good points. I am interested in research as well but I read somewhere that some schools are more apt to accept you if their department doesnt have to support you or if they can get a break in supporting you. I figured if I taught in the lab school and they paid my tuition for 2 years, it would alleviate some of the stress from the department and they would be more willing to accept me and fund me for the remaining 3 or 4 years it would take me to earn the phd. But who knows haha, I am assuming also that even if I was interviewed for it I would not necessarily have to take it...so I figured why not! =) Has anyone heard from Tufts though?

Oh I didn't know it had to be one or the other..thank you for telling me that! In that case, if offered, I don't want to take it. Thank you! Let us know if they get back to you =).

No, haven't heard anything from Tufts. I did email to see what was up but no word back.

Was also told it is RAship/TAship vs. GAship. You pick your path early on.

You're right though, you don't have to take it.

Hi, all!

U of Michigan and U of Wisconsin are the only schools that I have heard from so far.

I check The Result almost on a daily basis, but have not seen any post there while there seems to be many posts for some other programs or majors.

I wonder if the applicants who applied the program have not posted their outcome(including invitation for interview or wait listed) even though they heard from the schools. Or I wonder if the schools just have not decided who to accept and reject yet.

Hi! which program did you apply to at university of michigan?

Hi, all!

U of Michigan and U of Wisconsin are the only schools that I have heard from so far.

I check The Result almost on a daily basis, but have not seen any post there while there seems to be many posts for some other programs or majors.

I wonder if the applicants who applied the program have not posted their outcome(including invitation for interview or wait listed) even though they heard from the schools. Or I wonder if the schools just have not decided who to accept and reject yet.

That's exactly how I feel! Should we call and see what is going on?

Has anyone gotten any further news? I feel like every program except HDFS is getting results! I haven't heard anything from penn state..it's my number 1 school =(, has anyone else?