Early decision deadlines... what to do?

Neko

I have something of a dilemma.

I've received a very nice offer from a well-ranked Canadian school as well as a couple of others from US institutions. These offers are less attractive, but viable alternatives. However, I am still waiting to hear from 16 schools.

Here's the real problem: the Canadian school has a response deadline in the middle of March.

I imagine that some of the schools I'm waiting to hear from won't even have made first round offers by the time their deadline rolls around. All (worthwhile) US graduate schools (in my area, at least) have signed an agreement that forbids them from requiring responses to their offers before April 15th, but this school clearly hasn't signed the same agreement.

So, the dilemma is this:

1. Reply favorably to the Canadian institution prior to the March deadline. Doing so in good faith requires that I decline the other available offers that I already have as well as those I might receive after the response deadline.

2. Decline the Canadian offer, which is the best financially speaking, in hopes of receiving an offer from one of my preferred schools.

In terms of opportunity cost, there are significant losses in both scenarios. Although, in either case, I'm in *somewhere* (and a reasonably good somewhere), but I'm just not sure which way to go here... I'm beginning to feel that the early decision pressure from the Canadian school is reason enough to turn them down. /sigh

What do you fine folks think?

You should e-mail the Canadian institution within a few weeks of the response deadline (maybe you'll have heard more from other schools by then) and explain the situation. If you say you are seriously considering them but want to be able to consider all your options, they may grant you an extension.

My SO is in a similar situation as you, Neko. Good Canadian school, well-funded offer, super early decision deadline. His plan is to wait a few more weeks and see if any other offers come in, and if not to email the Canadian school and explain the situation in much the way luce373 suggested. He's seriously considering their offer, etc, but feels he can't really make a decision until he has all the possible information in hand, and ask for an extension.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the exact same position. My "good Canadian school" had a deadline on March 21st- it was the first application deadline and the first to get back to me, but there are still other places in the US that aren't deciding until April and May. With only 4 spaces in the program I got accepted to, I feel like I would give the impression that I don't want it badly enough, although I am seriously considering it.

Someone told me to accept and then if I get my top pick offer later I could always back out....but do people really do that??

I'm in the exact same position. My "good Canadian school" had a deadline on March 21st- it was the first application deadline and the first to get back to me, but there are still other places in the US that aren't deciding until April and May. With only 4 spaces in the program I got accepted to, I feel like I would give the impression that I don't want it badly enough, although I am seriously considering it.

Someone told me to accept and then if I get my top pick offer later I could always back out....but do people really do that??

Accepting and later backing out sounds like a bad idea - you run the risk of burning bridges with people in your field that you may end up working with later on. I think it's better to ask for an extension as other people have suggested above. I'm guessing that this wouldn't be the first time that your school with the early deadline had an applicant that needed additional time to decide.

I'm in a similar situation: I have been accepted to a great Canadian program with funding, and the deadline for replying (via snail mail) with my decision is 16 March. I have also been accepted to a great US program with funding, but I am waiting to hear back from 4 more programs (all with challenging acceptance rates), two of which may be better fits for me. Do any of you think that it is appropriate/okay for me to call the "silent" programs today /tomorrow and inquire as to my "status" since I have less than 2 weeks to make a decision? Any advice on what to say if the programs reply that decisions have not yet been reached (or they're going to take 2 weeks to send out decisions)? Please help!

I'm in this exact same position - Canadian school accepts with funding, requires March 9th decision, haven't heard back from selective US programs. I emailed the US schools to get an update on what their admissions timelines are. They're not going to be sending anything out till late March. They seemed to understand I had a good reason for bothering them other than mere impatience. I've now sent an email to the Canadian school stating that I'm very interested in attending but would like to see what all my options are, which will require a couple of weeks past March 9th. We'll see what happens.

I think the best chance you have of getting some more leeway with a decision time is to keep in mind that a) you're not the only person these people care about; and B) you are, in fact, dealing with real people who can become impressed or annoyed with you based on how you communicate with them.

If you want to work at schools in the US ever, don't go to school in canada.

I'm sure that depends on the program. Many Canadian history programs are well-respected int the US. As with most things, it depends on the prestige of the particular program and/or POI.

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation, and it is totally appropriate to politely email silent programs to say you have a competitive offer but want to hear back from them before making a decision. Then ask for when decisions may be sent out, and if time is really of the essence say you have a quick deadline. Hopefully that will get them moving. Good luck, and congratulations!