NYU 2011

frenchfries

Does anyone know anything about when NYU will contact applicants? Is it true that profs have no say in which students they are assigned? I made a real effort to meet with three POIs, but some people told me NYU is very impersonal and profs have know pull, while some other more intimate programs allow profs to participate in selection if they connected with a particular student and want that student themselves. Thoughts?

Does anyone know anything about when NYU will contact applicants?

Last year people started hearing 18 Februrary.

Is it true that profs have no say in which students they are assigned? I made a real effort to meet with three POIs, but some people told me NYU is very impersonal and profs have know pull, while some other more intimate programs allow profs to participate in selection if they connected with a particular student and want that student themselves. Thoughts?

What do you mean by this?

Well, some programs to which I applied made it very clear that getting in touch with profs in advance was helpful to an application and that profs have some pull, even if they aren't on the grad committee, with students being assigned to them as their POI. Profs at NYU and students to whom I've spoken have said it's a much more impersonal process there, that it is often about where you went to undergrad, GRE, GPA and less about interests and making the right match with a POI. I find that hard to believe, but just wondered if anyone else had heard the same thing. NYU has amazing scholars I'd love to work with because I think our interests are so similar. I guess I feel like my stats aren't as great as some others and that I have a better chance at schools in which they really consider the match of the prof to the student.

nyu is my top choice. i dont want to leave nyc, and they seem to give their grad students good funding with the mackracken. However I realized that I more than doubled their length requirement for the personal statement and I dont have a masters, so im not sure about my chances right now. Money is my main concern right now about grad school, particularly living in ny.

nyu is my top choice. i dont want to leave nyc, and they seem to give their grad students good funding with the mackracken. However I realized that I more than doubled their length requirement for the personal statement and I dont have a masters, so im not sure about my chances right now. Money is my main concern right now about grad school, particularly living in ny.

NYU fully funds everyone, if that's any consolation.

NYU fully funds everyone, if that's any consolation.

Yes, funding there is great. I have a friend who started a PhD there a few years ago, albeit in ethnomusicology. In addition to full stpend, health insurance, etc., he also received a $1000/year book buying allowance! I think NYU would be a great place to go to school.

NYU is also one of my top choices, so I'm hoping that the effort I made to contact a professor wasn't in vain. Although now that I think about it, his response was quite hands-off, as he basically said "we'll talk once you're admitted." Hm...

when i called in, they said more acceptances will come in mid-march. i explained that all acceptances have gone out but was told that this was not true. i'm not sure if he meant that waitlist people will probably be contacted for acceptances or if they are accepting more than 9 people (9 was the number stated in their emails to the people accepted).

i guess i'm confused because i believe they might've contacted people on the short list

Does anyone know if the funding package is enough to survive decently in NY? (around 23,000 dollars per year)

Definitely not. You have to take the campus housing. If not, a decent 1-bdrm will cost you ~$2000 in Manhattan. A decent lunch is almost $10. Thankfully we'll all be so busy studying that we won't have time for bars. I suppose you can also qualify for low-income housing as a starving grad student, but then you won't be close to campus. I spoke with a NYU PhD graduate and she said a lot of people work during summer to make up for the living cost.

Definitely not. You have to take the campus housing. If not, a decent 1-bdrm will cost you ~$2000 in Manhattan. A decent lunch is almost $10. Thankfully we'll all be so busy studying that we won't have time for bars. I suppose you can also qualify for low-income housing as a starving grad student, but then you won't be close to campus. I spoke with a NYU PhD graduate and she said a lot of people work during summer to make up for the living cost.

I haven't posted here in a while and I had to comment on it, Yeah this is not true. I go to Columbia which offers a similar stipend. Historically, the Village provided a cheap place for NYU grad students to live, but now they've mostly moved to Brooklyn. A 1-bdrm might cost that much in Manhattan, but NYU students don't live there (Columbia students more often live in university-subsidized housing, especially the first two years, because Brooklyn isn't convenient; some choose to move to Harlem or Inwood for an even cheaper option). Yes, you need to find a way to fund yourself over the summer, be it applying for grants, working as an RA or teaching summer school, or something else, but that's probably true for most programs (the big-if dependent thing is how easy it is to get RA-ships/grants). But yeah, seriously, all of my friends in other NYU PhD programs in social science/humanities take on no loans, get grants for summer research/funding, and live in Brooklyn. I can tell you, it's surprisingly easy to live on $11,500 a semester as a graduate student because you honestly work too much to spend much money. Sad but true. Though there may well be such people, I don't know anyone at NYU or Columbia who has trouble living on the money they get from the school + summer funding, hard as it is to believe that you can actually make it in New York on that little money (also just a note: starting next summer, Columbia is offering guaranteed summer funding to all GSAS students who have normal fellowships, much like Yale does--this will probably be a slow spreading trend).

when i called in, they said more acceptances will come in mid-march. i explained that all acceptances have gone out but was told that this was not true. i'm not sure if he meant that waitlist people will probably be contacted for acceptances or if they are accepting more than 9 people (9 was the number stated in their emails to the people accepted).

i guess i'm confused because i believe they might've contacted people on the short list

9 might well be a misleading number, because this is probably the cohort size they want. I know Columbia accepts about 16 students for an intended cohort of 9-ish students.

Edited by jacib

I haven't posted here in a while and I had to comment on it, Yeah this is not true. I go to Columbia which offers a similar stipend. Historically, the Village provided a cheap place for NYU grad students to live, but now they've mostly moved to Brooklyn. A 1-bdrm might cost that much in Manhattan, but NYU students don't live there (Columbia students more often live in university-subsidized housing, especially the first two years, because Brooklyn isn't convenient; some choose to move to Harlem or Inwood for an even cheaper option). Yes, you need to find a way to fund yourself over the summer, be it applying for grants, working as an RA or teaching summer school, or something else, but that's probably true for most programs (the big-if dependent thing is how easy it is to get RA-ships/grants). But yeah, seriously, all of my friends in other NYU PhD programs in social science/humanities take on no loans, get grants for summer research/funding, and live in Brooklyn. I can tell you, it's surprisingly easy to live on $11,500 a semester as a graduate student because you honestly work too much to spend much money. Sad but true. Though there may well be such people, I don't know anyone at NYU or Columbia who has trouble living on the money they get from the school + summer funding, hard as it is to believe that you can actually make it in New York on that little money (also just a note: starting next summer, Columbia is offering guaranteed summer funding to all GSAS students who have normal fellowships, much like Yale does--this will probably be a slow spreading trend).

Yes, you can make it on the stipend if you take the campus housing or go to less than an ideal location. I thought most starting nyu students live near by, but I must be wrong. You're right that older students commute and you can find apt for under 1000 in the boroughs--and a decent one if you share. The prob with boroughs is that on the weekends, several train lines get rerouted due to construction, and depending on where you live, you either have to take the bus or taxi when you get out of the library at 2am. More time mgmt and planning required.

All depends on the definition of 'decent'. I agree that there isn't much time to spend $ while in grad school. But $3000 summer stipend... even subsidized housing is about 1K a month, so how do you make it if you don't take RA or something?

Edited by nyc waiting

I still havent heard anything from NYU. No acceptance, wait list, or rejection. Does anyone have any information about the time table they are working on. I noticed a few rejections on the results page - were they personalized or mass emails? Its pretty late in the season and and Im just looking for any new info anyone may have.

I still havent heard anything from NYU. No acceptance, wait list, or rejection. Does anyone have any information about the time table they are working on. I noticed a few rejections on the results page - were they personalized or mass emails? Its pretty late in the season and and Im just looking for any new info anyone may have.

same here. i sent them an email, no response. ><

I'm also waiting--nothing so far. I haven't emailed/called anyone and am a little puzzled as to what's up. People were posting on the results page that they got rejected via standard mass email, but we were apparently excluded from that. Hm...

Anyone else know anything?

I'm also waiting--nothing so far. I haven't emailed/called anyone and am a little puzzled as to what's up. People were posting on the results page that they got rejected via standard mass email, but we were apparently excluded from that. Hm...

Anyone else know anything?

I received a personalized rejection e-mail from the department saying that all decisions were made. It was sent to me yesterday.