CUNY Acceptances

I received an offer letter this morning with the Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship, and I'm ecstatic but very concerned about the teaching load for years 2 through 4. The workload of teaching two 3 credit classes for 5 hours each week sounds daunting. I'm mostly concerned about the time lost in traveling to different boroughs for these classes. Does anyone have thoughts on the same? I'm also wondering if there is a graduate teacher's union, and also what the class sizes are like. Any info to help with this decision is welcome. Thanks, and congratulations to the rest of you!

I'm currently teaching two, three-credit classes at John Jay (a four-year CUNY school in Hell's Kitchen). The classes are capped at 27, which is a lot, but once you find a rhythm it's not so bad. A teaching load of two classes during your time at the Grad Center should not interfere too much; if anything, it will complement your studies.

Quick question: If the ECF is $18K, and you're still required to teach, how is this any different from working as a paid adjunct with a tuition scholarship?

I'm currently teaching two, three-credit classes at John Jay (a four-year CUNY school in Hell's Kitchen). The classes are capped at 27, which is a lot, but once you find a rhythm it's not so bad. A teaching load of two classes during your time at the Grad Center should not interfere too much; if anything, it will complement your studies.

Quick question: If the ECF is $18K, and you're still required to teach, how is this any different from working as a paid adjunct with a tuition scholarship?

Indeed, I teach comp in Queens (which can be a pain--no subways go to that campus, so if you're in Manhattan, you need to take a subway to Queens and then take a bus to the campus) and the class is capped at around 20 (with up to 2 overtallies). Other courses like lit surveys have had their cap increased at Queens--I think it may be around 30-40 now? The size of the course depends on the type of course--a higher level Writing Intensive course (students are required to take three to graduate) will be capped at 20 or less. Creative writing workshops are capped at 18.

Also, these will differ somewhat from school to school. Queens has generally had smaller class sizes than schools like Baruch, so a lot of it depends on where you end up.

Have there already been two rounds? Has anyone else still not heard anything?

Sorry for double posting. :blink:

I haven't heard anything yet either, but I've been informed that not all decisions have been made yet. The only thing I'm guessing is that if we still receive an acceptance, it will be without funding at this point. <_<

I've also been accepted to CUNY with the same funding package that was described above. I was informed of the admission on the 8th and the funding yesterday. I study 18th and 19th-century British Literature. I look forward to meeting all of you at the open house. I have heard so many great things about CUNY and can't wait to know more.

Good luck to everyone!

I've also been accepted to CUNY with the same funding package that was described above. I was informed of the admission on the 8th and the funding yesterday. I study 18th and 19th-century British Literature. I look forward to meeting all of you at the open house. I have heard so many great things about CUNY and can't wait to know more.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by cicada123

Hey you guys: I just called the department, and I am in need of being told that I am not a complete idiot for doing so. I found out a couple weeks ago that I am in a second round of decisions with a small pool of applicants. But I was not told how many applicants have been admitted so far. So, I called to find out that information and to ask when exactly I could expect to hear back and in what form. The man was really nice about it, but he told me he could not tell me how many applicants had been admitted so far and that decisions are now rolling. In other words, I could expect to hear back any day (?).

To be honest--and I don't mean to be a buzz-kill--that sounds like an unofficial wait list. So if a couple people in your field decide not to go, they'll probably give you the spot (hence the rolling nature of future decisions). Did he give you any idea of when the latest possible time you would hear might be? Because if it's not late March/ early April, then I'm probably wrong.

To be honest--and I don't mean to be a buzz-kill--that sounds like an unofficial wait list. So if a couple people in your field decide not to go, they'll probably give you the spot (hence the rolling nature of future decisions). Did he give you any idea of when the latest possible time you would hear might be? Because if it's not late March/ early April, then I'm probably wrong.

Ciccada123-- I was told by a current CUNY Phd student that the new class would end up around 40 people, but that there would be more offers because a significant number of admits decline. I suspect some people are waiting to hear about all their apps before making a final decision. I wouldn't worry about calling in to check; that sounds reasonable. And I wouldn't think of it as a waiting list. It sounds like CUNY thinks you are a great candidate, and you have an excellent chance as soon as some of the smoke clears in a week or two. -- Sean

Thank you, Sean. I am at least hopeful now. I can't always help trying to calculate probabilities.

Ciccada123-- I was told by a current CUNY Phd student that the new class would end up around 40 people, but that there would be more offers because a significant number of admits decline. I suspect some people are waiting to hear about all their apps before making a final decision. I wouldn't worry about calling in to check; that sounds reasonable. And I wouldn't think of it as a waiting list. It sounds like CUNY thinks you are a great candidate, and you have an excellent chance as soon as some of the smoke clears in a week or two. -- Sean

Does anyone know if CUNY is done giving out Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowships? Has anyone else heard from them regarding financial aid/ funding decisions?

Thank you, Sean. I am at least hopeful now. I can't always help trying to calculate probabilities.

Lemonade, don't worry. You didn't take away hope; the admissions process is a mystery to me, and one sign can seem to mean many things. I really I hope I will be joining all of you who have been accepted so far.

quote name='Lemonade' timestamp='1298565878' post='204032']

I'm sorry; I didn't mean to take away hope! Best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Does anyone know if CUNY is done giving out Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowships? Has anyone else heard from them regarding financial aid/ funding decisions?

I was told in an email that they are definitely not done giving out ECF's.

Hey everyone. I applied to the CUNY Grad Center Ph.D program in Urban Education. I keep checking back on the site and nada! Gosh...these schools sure do have a way of making you go nuts!

Congrats to everyone that's been accepted and good luck to the rest of us! :)

Is this CUNY's normal procedure? My understanding was that the annual cohort tends to be closer to 20 than 40.

Sorry, I realize that was really vague; more ECF's will be given out as the first round of acceptees begin to decline them, I was told.

Do you happen to know if their will be any left for applicants who are accepted in the sound round?

Sorry, I realize that was really vague; more ECF's will be given out as the first round of acceptees begin to decline them, I was told.

I have a question for the CUNY admits...if you don't mind telling, what are your stats (GPA, GRE, publications, conferences, area of specialty - although I think most of you posted 20th century american or brittish in some fashion). Just curious. Although I did not apply there, I have a friend that currently attends Hunter and he is going to be applying next year. He wants some feedback on the stats of people that actually got in. I appreciate any feedback you're willing to give. :)

Sean, Do you happen to know how many people have been accepted so far? An estimate, perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! This is my first time on gradcafe and I'm glad to have found this list. I was accepted to CUNY in early February with an ECF. My specialty (this seems to be hot this year!) is 20th Cent. ethnic American lit. and poetry, particularly mixed-race and interethnic reading.

I'm unfortunately unable to make the open house because I'm finishing my MA in Madrid this semester, but I would love to hear back from any of you once you've attended. Right now, CUNY is my only accept-- I am excited about studying there, though I realize the teaching courseload will not be easy.

So glad to "meet" potential future classmates.