CUNY Acceptances

Firstly, congratulations to those who have been accepted! I will humbly claim one of these, but more importantly open the forum to the others who have received CUNY acceptances thus far.

What are your areas/specializations?

Are you going to attend the Open House on March 11th?

I'm a 20th Century Americanist, emphasis on post-WWII cultural studies with a Cold War bent.

As I live in New Jersey, a 35 minute train ride from CUNY, I'll definitely be attending the Open House.

Firstly, congratulations to those who have been accepted! I will humbly claim one of these, but more importantly open the forum to the others who have received CUNY acceptances thus far.

What are your areas/specializations?

Are you going to attend the Open House on March 11th?

I'm a 20th Century Americanist, emphasis on post-WWII cultural studies with a Cold War bent.

As I live in New Jersey, a 35 minute train ride from CUNY, I'll definitely be attending the Open House.

I got in too. 20th c. American poetry; with a focus on humorous poets in the latter half of that century.

And yes, I am going to attend the open house. I live in Brooklyn, so it's an easy trip.

I got in too. 20th c. American poetry; with a focus on humorous poets in the latter half of that century.

And yes, I am going to attend the open house. I live in Brooklyn, so it's an easy trip.

Please tell me you study Flarf :lol:

Congratulations to you both!

Hi All,

I join you as one of the accepted--and am grateful! My interest is in Comp and Rhet with an emphasis on the rhetoric of land use, landscapes, and environmental activism. I'm coming into the program with an MFA (and am currently adjuncting at CUNY), so I'm also interested in poetry as a literacy tool.

I too plan to attend the open house and looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Hi guys. I got accepted at CUNY as well; it's nice to find you. I'm interested in comp and narrative theory. Happy to talk to any of you about all this. Not sure how this works, but I'm at seanmolloy@seanmolloy.org I see some of you applied to other schools. Does this mean we should hear from other places soon? --Sean

Hey everyone and congrats to you!!! I also got accepted and plan on attending open house. This is such a great school...but it seems as though funding isn't a guarantee, which has me a bit worried. My specialization is 20th century African American Literature.

Edited by EnglishEnthusiast10

I also applied to CUNY and have not heard anything. Is anyone else in this position? I'm guessing they admit in waves, but it'd still be nice to know something.

I was told that not all decisions have been made yet, and I'm in the same boat.

Congratulations to all of you!!

I'm another one of the acceptances. My interests are 19th c. British & disability theory, as well as autobiography/memoir and transgender studies.

I'm currently finishing up my MA at the Grad Center, and since I'm right here (also in Brooklyn), I will definitely be at the Open House!

If you don't mind my asking, who is your POI? Talia Schaffer? I took a great Victorian Body grad course with her.

How do you guys interpret CUNY's funding possibilities? The website says they can't offer fellowships to everyone, but that they can arrange a first-year teaching internship for anyone who does not receive a fellowship. Does that mean every single person who doesn't receive a fellowship can get one of the teaching internships? Also, it says a "first-year" teaching internship. Does that mean that it doesn't necessarily continue into the following years? I really want to go to CUNY but the funding situation is a bit unsettling. Not to mention, the state of New York is almost undoubtedly cutting funding from CUNY and SUNY schools this year as per Cuomo's proposed budget plan.

I guess it would be best if we could find someone currently attending to fill us in on this, but why not endlessly and hopelessly speculate since speculation is all we've really got for the time being.

How do you guys interpret CUNY's funding possibilities? The website says they can't offer fellowships to everyone, but that they can arrange a first-year teaching internship for anyone who does not receive a fellowship. Does that mean every single person who doesn't receive a fellowship can get one of the teaching internships? Also, it says a "first-year" teaching internship. Does that mean that it doesn't necessarily continue into the following years? I really want to go to CUNY but the funding situation is a bit unsettling. Not to mention, the state of New York is almost undoubtedly cutting funding from CUNY and SUNY schools this year as per Cuomo's proposed budget plan.

I guess it would be best if we could find someone currently attending to fill us in on this, but why not endlessly and hopelessly speculate since speculation is all we've really got for the time being.

We could ask the student from whom we received that email about personal statements. My friend (who is currently at Michigan) said that last year everybody got funding, even though they said everyone might not. And yes, I do think everyone can get set up with a teaching internship if they don't get a fellowship, and I also think that that person would then have to reapply for some sort of funding the year after.

As for budgetary issues, you're totally right. I'm guessing, in fact, that that's why they will have to wait until March to be sure.

I currently work as an adjunct English instructor for CUNY and have met quite a few Grad Center folks who teach two or three classes a semester as either their sole source of income (poor bastards) or to supplement their enhanced fellowships (greedy bastards). From what I've experienced, it's pretty easy to land a position teaching English comp at one of the umpteen CUNY schools, so, even though the Grad Center's admissions rhetoric is noncommittal, you can pretty much expect the teaching positions to come through. I currently teach at two (plus a third non-CUNY school) with just an MFA. That said, the money isn't great (about $4,000 a class), so I'm definitely hoping they'll come through with the fellowships--living in NYC on 24K a year ain't easy!

Thanks for this info! How many classes are you taking per semester? It seems like it would be insanely difficult to take 2-3 classes and simultaneously teach 2-3 classes per semester.

I currently work as an adjunct English instructor for CUNY and have met quite a few Grad Center folks who teach two or three classes a semester as either their sole source of income (poor bastards) or to supplement their enhanced fellowships (greedy bastards). From what I've experienced, it's pretty easy to land a position teaching English comp at one of the umpteen CUNY schools, so, even though the Grad Center's admissions rhetoric is noncommittal, you can pretty much expect the teaching positions to come through. I currently teach at two (plus a third non-CUNY school) with just an MFA. That said, the money isn't great (about $4,000 a class), so I'm definitely hoping they'll come through with the fellowships--living in NYC on 24K a year ain't easy!

Thanks for this info! How many classes are you taking per semester? It seems like it would be insanely difficult to take 2-3 classes and simultaneously teach 2-3 classes per semester.

Oh, I'm not taking any classes at the moment. I'm in the same boat as you all--awaiting my fate. I'm teaching 5 classes right now, and I'm stretched really thin. I can't imagine teaching more than 2 or 3 and taking classes simultaneously. However, I think that a light teaching load and graduate studies complement one another nicely. I taught a poetry workshop while working on my MFA, and that was a wonderfully reciprocal experience.

Ah okay. I thought I had seen somewhere that you were finishing up your MA at CUNY; I must have been confusing you with someone else. In any event, I'm actually pretty excited about the prospect of teaching as a graduate student. I've heard similar sentiments from other grad students regarding the complementary nature of teaching and classes. Either way, let's hope we get those fellowships!

Oh, I'm not taking any classes at the moment. I'm in the same boat as you all--awaiting my fate. I'm teaching 5 classes right now, and I'm stretched really thin. I can't imagine teaching more than 2 or 3 and taking classes simultaneously. However, I think that a light teaching load and graduate studies complement one another nicely. I taught a poetry workshop while working on my MFA, and that was a wonderfully reciprocal experience.

To the results board poster who got an email this morning concerning a fellowship offer: firstly, congrats! May I inquire as to what time you received this email? (I'm on the east coast.) I'm anxiously hoping for a fellowship offer from CUNY, as well, and didn't think they'd be sending them out so soon.

That was me. I'm on the east coast too, and I got it around 9. FYI, here is the information about the fellowship:

The ECF also comes with a service requirement in all five years. During the first year, you will serve as a research assistant, with a maximum workload of 7.5 hours a week. In years two through four, you will be awarded a Graduate Teaching Fellowship to teach at one of the CUNY undergraduate colleges. The colleges are located in all five boroughs of New York City.

Graduate Teaching Fellows teach a total of 180 hours during the academic year, usually by teaching the equivalent of two 3-credit courses each semester. In year five, you will receive a non-teaching fellowship (such as a College Writing Fellowship) that will involve working with faculty at one of the colleges for 15 hours a week over the course of each semester.

I hope you get funding! Good luck!

To the results board poster who got an email this morning concerning a fellowship offer: firstly, congrats! May I inquire as to what time you received this email? (I'm on the east coast.) I'm anxiously hoping for a fellowship offer from CUNY, as well, and didn't think they'd be sending them out so soon.

Thanks a ton for the information and the quick reply! And congratulations again! I've got my fingers crossed now.

That was me. I'm on the east coast too, and I got it around 9. FYI, here is the information about the fellowship:

The ECF also comes with a service requirement in all five years. During the first year, you will serve as a research assistant, with a maximum workload of 7.5 hours a week. In years two through four, you will be awarded a Graduate Teaching Fellowship to teach at one of the CUNY undergraduate colleges. The colleges are located in all five boroughs of New York City.

Graduate Teaching Fellows teach a total of 180 hours during the academic year, usually by teaching the equivalent of two 3-credit courses each semester. In year five, you will receive a non-teaching fellowship (such as a College Writing Fellowship) that will involve working with faculty at one of the colleges for 15 hours a week over the course of each semester.

I hope you get funding! Good luck!

I received an offer letter this morning with the Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship, and I'm ecstatic but very concerned about the teaching load for years 2 through 4. The workload of teaching two 3 credit classes for 5 hours each week sounds daunting. I'm mostly concerned about the time lost in traveling to different boroughs for these classes. Does anyone have thoughts on the same? I'm also wondering if there is a graduate teacher's union, and also what the class sizes are like. Any info to help with this decision is welcome. Thanks, and congratulations to the rest of you!

Congrats Grad Minion! Were you the second poster on the results board this morning?

I received an offer letter this morning with the Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowship, and I'm ecstatic but very concerned about the teaching load for years 2 through 4. The workload of teaching two 3 credit classes for 5 hours each week sounds daunting. I'm mostly concerned about the time lost in traveling to different boroughs for these classes. Does anyone have thoughts on the same? I'm also wondering if there is a graduate teacher's union, and also what the class sizes are like. Any info to help with this decision is welcome. Thanks, and congratulations to the rest of you!