Vanier CGS 2011-2012

OriginalBDivision

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any other hopefuls floating around here. I want this decision made...now! Does anyone know when announcements will be made? The ResearchNet listing for the award says March 15th, but most other sites (including the Vanier webpage) say April 15.

Hmmmm

• 1 month later...

In the NSERC 2011-2012 thread people seem confident that the CGS results will be coming out around the end of March. I just assumed the Vanier results would arrive almost simultaneously. If it's mid to late April, should we expect to get a decision letter regarding our CGS and still have to wait 2-3 weeks for the Vanier? That would suck.

The thread from last year made it sound like some people got letters from tri-agency stating that they had been disqualified due to them receiving a Vanier scholarship, and they got these letters before finding out about the Vanier. So it could be....

Did you get a letter BioChemCrazy? I am not sure how the two competitions are linked. CIHR CGS announcements aren't until around the same time as Vanier so I don't think any extra information can be found in having a letter or not.

Does anyone know how applicants will be notified? Via snailmail? Or through the graduate programs?

Did you get a letter BioChemCrazy? I am not sure how the two competitions are linked. CIHR CGS announcements aren't until around the same time as Vanier so I don't think any extra information can be found in having a letter or not.

Does anyone know how applicants will be notified? Via snailmail? Or through the graduate programs?

I actually just got my CGSD3 letter on monday (yay - super stoked). So I assume I'm out of the running for the Vanier which is ok, not going to complain about a CGS. I emailed NSERC-Vanier to see when/how we'll be notified, but haven't heard back, I'll definitely post the response.

I bet that since the CIHR (and perhaps SSHRC) competitions have not been announced yet the Vaniers haven't even been decided or NSERC is waiting for the other two councils... who knows. I kinda just want to know one way or the other now. :)

Yeah, the real question for me has been how the NSERC results are related to the Vanier results. You mentioned that you assume you're out of the Vanier running because you got a CGS acceptance, but I'm wondering if this assumption is correct. Hypothetically, you could get an acceptance letter for both and by accepting the Vanier you rescind the CGS. The only other alternative I see is that our CGS letters should have either not come or said the CGS decision is pending the Vanier decision, but that would tip their hand on where you are in the Vanier decision process because NSERC would know which candidates they passed on to the Vanier decision board.

I dunno, I guess we'll just have to wait for the letters!

Yeah, the real question for me has been how the NSERC results are related to the Vanier results. You mentioned that you assume you're out of the Vanier running because you got a CGS acceptance, but I'm wondering if this assumption is correct. Hypothetically, you could get an acceptance letter for both and by accepting the Vanier you rescind the CGS. The only other alternative I see is that our CGS letters should have either not come or said the CGS decision is pending the Vanier decision, but that would tip their hand on where you are in the Vanier decision process because NSERC would know which candidates they passed on to the Vanier decision board.

I dunno, I guess we'll just have to wait for the letters!

Last year, the NSERC PGS/CGS notifications were sent out first and were independent of the Vanier notifications. If the applicant gets both, the NSERC PGS or CGS is automatically declined if the Vanier is accepted. This is a good way to do it because some students may choose to take a PGS abroad instead of the Vanier (it would have to be a pretty sweet deal to not take the Vanier). It gives the applicant more options to choose from. If I remember correctly, the results actually came in on this day last year..........Good luck to this years applicants!

Yes, the PGS/CGS committee is completely different from the Vanier committee. They are unrelated and that's why you have to send in two different applications. In theory you could get the Vanier result ahead of the PGS/CGS one, but it makes sense that you get it after since the evalutation process is longer with Vanier. Maybe in previous years Vanier's selection has been made more rapidly and they had time to let the tri-council agencies know.

Got my PGS/CGS response last week, waiting for the Vanier one!

Response from NSERC-Vanier: "The Vanier CGS and the PGS/CGS programs are completely separate programs; a response in one is not an indication of results in the other. The letters for Vanier will be mailed next week."

So kids, looks like we'll know soon enough. Good luck everyone :)

Ahhh! This week? I almost don't want to know.

I wonder will Vanier letters be couriered for those accepted and regular mail for those who arn't?

Good luck everybody =)

You might get to find out but if you were successful, you won't get to tell any people publicly until the media release sometime in late April or May.....that is how it worked last year. It was definitely an anxious time for me last year waiting for the results.

Do we get a rejection letter? Or do we wait until the announce the winners I wonder.....

I think we do get rejection letters, but that's how the normal NSERC competition works. I can't say that's how Vanier works, but I assume it would be the same. In previous message boards re:Vanier people did get rejection letters around the same time as those who were accepted.

From last years thread it also sounded like each tri-agency came at a different time, so it may only be SSHRC that has been sent out. Was the letter sent via courier or snail mail CafeHistorica (dated April 1st makes me think snail mail)?

CIHR doctoral award announcements are supposedly being sent out through ResearchNet on April 15th, so not sure if Vanier will come before or after this

From last years thread it also sounded like each tri-agency came at a different time, so it may only be SSHRC that has been sent out. Was the letter sent via courier or snail mail CafeHistorica (dated April 1st makes me think snail mail)?

CIHR doctoral award announcements are supposedly being sent out through ResearchNet on April 15th, so not sure if Vanier will come before or after this

I just got mine too- it's a no-go :( Toronto SSHRC, and yes, it came by snail mail.

You got a rejection letter for SSHRC today? PhD fellowship or Masters? I called them this morning and they said no letters had been sent yet...

I just got mine too- it's a no-go :( Toronto SSHRC, and yes, it came by snail mail.