Vanier CGS 2011-2012

OriginalBDivision

Toronto. Hope everyone else hears soon - I wish they could have just e-mailed everyone or posted results on researchnet at a particular time and day.

Do you mind me asking which department? also was the package thick or just one page thin? ( sorry, just freaking out here)

I can't believe the mail got to Edmonton before Calgary - that's not fair!! (just kidding) Were you given anything in the package - or just a letter saying yay or nay?

Result arrived in Edmonton today (from CIHR).

AH! I am so jealous. I hope to hear by tomorrow as the wait is killing me. Glad to hear that someone else in Edmonton at least knows their CIHR Vanier results.

Result arrived in Edmonton today (from CIHR).

Sorry, was waiting to tell other people before posting. It was a nay. BAH! Just a teeny, tiny envelope with a brief letter telling me how much they regretted not being able to give me the award. Bollocks.

I can't believe the mail got to Edmonton before Calgary - that's not fair!! (just kidding) Were you given anything in the package - or just a letter saying yay or nay?

The grad school faculties know, and have been filtering the info to respective departments. Still no letter here in Edmonton, but I've already heard from my department. You could ask.

I just checked the mail that just came and I am in Toronto. No CIHR response for the Vanier yet. dang. This is driving me insane.

That's too bad. Did you actually get a letter today, or just heard from your university?

I think I'm going to take on a leadership role and organize a support group for students who didn't get the Vanier this year (myself included) :( ...

A very brief letter. Don't even know if my app passed the cihr comiittee the last vanier committee .... oh well....

I'd really like to know if anyone who was 'rejected' last year reapplied and got it this year - in other words does it pay to re apply next year...??

A very brief letter. Don't even know if my app passed the cihr comiittee the last vanier committee .... oh well....

I'd really like to know if anyone who was 'rejected' last year reapplied and got it this year - in other words does it pay to re apply next year...??

From what I understand, if you get an NSERC PGS or CGS this year instead of a Vanier, you are not eligible to reapply. If you are an international student, you could always reapply as long as you haven't been in your program longer than 20 months as of May 1, 2012. Last year, I just made the cutoff for eligibility by one day.

As for chances of success, If you are still publishing previous work or have already started publishing PhD work in your first year of your PhD, I don't see why your chances wouldn't go up. If you are also heavily involved in leadership activities in your new faculty, that would help as well for the next round of applications this fall.

I think I'm going to take on a leadership role and organize a support group for students who didn't get the Vanier this year (myself included) :( ...

I still haven't heard anything in Montreal (Does anyone in Montreal receive any answers?). I guess my chance is rather slim now and this was my last chance of getting it. So, count me in. A big glass of Armagnac would do!!!

With the acceptance letter came a second letter saying that we weren't allowed to tell anyone the results until they had 'publicly announced' them...anyone know when that is going to be? I may be a little excited and would like to share my news...

Hey, I was rejected last year in the final round (the national competition), and this year I wasn't going to apply but decided to do so about 2 days before the deadline, and I got the NSERC Vanier this year, so definitely apply nest year.

By the way I got the letter about 2 weeks ago but the public announcement will be sometime in May I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering if any of the other people who got the Vanier this year have more news or if previous Vanier scholars can give us some idea of what to expect. I got the letter in the mail, emailed my acceptance, and turned my forms in to my Faculty of Graduate studies. They said my first payment will be processed on May 25th. Other than that, no news... and no official announcements from my university. I have received no further information from Vanier and they haven't updated their website with the current year's results. For any people who got the Vanier in previous years... what will be coming up? I've heard rumours we might need to go to Ottawa at some point... will there be events to attend, or is it just... receive your money and go forth and produce good research? I suppose you get the money in monthly payments?

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for the official results to be announced. I was told it would be by the end of May but it looks like that was incorrect...

Same here. I have emailed my university's Vanier contact person and the Vanier program office but I have yet to receive a response. Surely the election delayed the annoucement this year but now the Minister of Industry is appointed and is back to work. Just wait and see I guess.....