Yale Interview Advice

eleven

Could anyone share their experience interviewing at Yale?

I was invited to interview at Yale in painting Mar 22-25 and I haven't the faintest idea where to begin preparing. Do any of you have experience interviewing there, shipping your art, or communicating with the school about preparations for this? (My art is on foam or board typically about 8' long and at most 8' tall, lots of attached fragile objects.)

Any advice is very welcome!

I'm right there with you ( I got an interview for painting as well)

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of shipping a canvas painting that is 84"x60"

This is going to be a nightmare. I barely have enough money to buy a new pair of shoes let alone a plane ticket and $600 shipping costs. :lol:

I read somewhere that it's 20 minutes to talk about your work and 20 minutes Q&A. No idea what kinds of questions or any details....I do know that there is a 30min installation time prior to the interview. 75 interviews for roughly 22 spots. so 30% get in.

Here's to more sleepless nights ahead.

I was rejected by Yale for painting. I had extremely large scale narrative figurative work, combining drawing/painting. Realistic and anatomically accurate that the figures are recognizable, but done very painterly. So more realistic from far off and loose close up. My work looks better in person than in photographs due to the scale and close-up detail. I had a a very strong statement and my work is developed conceptually, aesthetically and technically. I'll be turning 30 and have been out of school for 6 years. During this time I have worked in my studio full time and run a gallery (management, curating, as well as managing resident artists), I've shown extensively and have had a lot of press coverage. I have teaching experience. So my resume is very solid. My references were strong and even alumni from the schools.

I received very good reviews when I went to the grad reviews from several schools when I went for the grad interview day last year. I figured I'd be rejected from Yale. I haven't seen any narrative figurative work on their site or from anyone that's been interviewed or accepted yet.

I was wondering, for those of you selected for an interview would mind sharing an image of your work or maybe describing what type of painting you do? And maybe anyone that was rejected talking about the kind of work they do?

I'm just curious because I'm wondering if it's worth ever applying again. If they don't seem to ever accept the type of work that I do, then it just seems like a waste of time and money. And also, I'm just curious in general with who is getting interviewed.

Congrats to every one that received an interview. I have to admit I'm jealous. :)

But I applied to other schools as well and am waiting to hear back. I think I have a better chance at a couple of them. Although I expect to be rejected from Columbia, since they seem to lean more toward conceptual work and have seen no narrative figurative work.

I understand that there are many factors that go into the selection process for the schools. But it is true that certain schools are more conceptually-based and others more receptive to figurative work. Some are more formal while others more experimental...etc. etc.

In terms of interview questions - there are a few threads on here that discuss specific questions asked by Yale. Just do a search. A couple are from last year.

Good Luck! Don't be too nervous and be yourself. That's what's most important. :)

Congrats to those who got interviews and good luck! I heard the interview process was brutal last year. I read some posts here (from last year) that the Yale students who got to interview with the faculty came off very aggressive. I can't forget how one poster claimed the students laughed at her and her work and it made her cry. The students seem to think they have a lot of say with the decisions. Hopefully, they won't be that narcissistic this year.

@ jmc2011,

I got rejected from Yale too and it was my 2nd time applying there. I feel like it was such a waste of time and money. Like you, my work is narrative and figurative, with strong conceptual backing. I've been working on my theme for a few years and it's from my personal life/experiences and research, which I believe is very underrepresented. I've been out of school for a couple of years and everything in my portfolio were work I did outside of undergrad.

Anyway, I went to Yale's open house in 2009. The majority of the work I saw were large scale geometric abstraction or just plain abstraction. I also saw a lot of minimalistic conceptual work and some sculptural pieces and work using found objects. I should have taken that as a sign to not apply again this time around. It seems like Peter Halley (director of graduate studies in painting/printmaking) likes to pick students who does similar work. It also seems as if they like students who are straight out of undergrad (I know of 3 straight out of undergrads who got in last year).

The main reason I applied again was because I met a student there who kind of does the same work I do, Njideka Akunyili (only difference is, I'm not African-American). Another reason was, when I went to the open house, the faculty spoke as if they were really promoting diversity, which I don't believe anymore.

I don't feel bad about being rejected from Yale, it just confirmed my thoughts about the school. And I wouldn't know what to do about the interview anyway, I honestly can't afford having to ship large paintings to New Haven (all the way from the west coast). Yale is the only school I know who requires to ship large-scale work for their interview (where the chance to get in is only 30%). What do they think, people applying for an MFA are already made of money? Or are they trying to weed out economically disadvantaged people who can't afford it?

Very interesting info in these posts! I don't beleive it was a waste of money for me to apply, it was a top choice and I knew very well that there was a slim chance of recieving an invite for an interview, much less admission!

I completely agree that it seems Yale is driven to bringing people right out of undergrad. Perhaps they are more compliant that way? I for one, feel that my work has developed to a point that I have a consistant process and I suppose this could be seen in some circles as a problem.

My site's on my profile page, I still feel that I have strong work and I stand behind it, regardless the decision. I also beleive part of my rejection had to do with a missing letter of recemmendation, which I'd requested to be sent about 7 times.

Best of luck to those of you with interviews. Incredibly envious of you, I did hear something similar about students making one applicant cry, but I really hope that if you are put in this situation you can stand your ground. With the prestige of Yale your bound to bump into some elitism.

I'm right there with you ( I got an interview for painting as well)

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of shipping a canvas painting that is 84"x60"

This is going to be a nightmare. I barely have enough money to buy a new pair of shoes let alone a plane ticket and $600 shipping costs. :lol:

I read somewhere that it's 20 minutes to talk about your work and 20 minutes Q&A. No idea what kinds of questions or any details....I do know that there is a 30min installation time prior to the interview. 75 interviews for roughly 22 spots. so 30% get in.

Here's to more sleepless nights ahead.

As far as your canvases go, I'd recommend you take them off the stretcher bars and roll them if possible. There are some great shipping tubes at Utrecht that are perfect for this. As far as the presentation of that work goes, I don't know what I could tell you. When I visited UCLA's grad studios there was a painter who pinned his work on cavas to a wall. Perhaps you could do the same?

Congrats to you! I visited your site. I earned my BFA from Memphis College of Art, it's wonderful that they are pulling people from that region and I really hope you get in!

Very interesting info in these posts! I don't beleive it was a waste of money for me to apply, it was a top choice and I knew very well that there was a slim chance of recieving an invite for an interview, much less admission!

I completely agree that it seems Yale is driven to bringing people right out of undergrad. Perhaps they are more compliant that way? I for one, feel that my work has developed to a point that I have a consistant process and I suppose this could be seen in some circles as a problem.

My site's on my profile page, I still feel that I have strong work and I stand behind it, regardless the decision. I also beleive part of my rejection had to do with a missing letter of recemmendation, which I'd requested to be sent about 7 times.

Best of luck to those of you with interviews. Incredibly envious of you, I did hear something similar about students making one applicant cry, but I really hope that if you are put in this situation you can stand your ground. With the prestige of Yale your bound to bump into some elitism.

Hi Erin,

Turns out my girlfriend, Whitney Hubbard, was roommates with you at MCA several years ago. I'm about to graduate from the U of Memphis. Small world.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get an interview, I feel that your work is really strong. I looked at your website once I saw you were rejected, and realized just how strong the competition is for those 22 spots...my stomach sunk a little...haha... I wish you the best of luck with your other submissions.

James

As far as your canvases go, I'd recommend you take them off the stretcher bars and roll them if possible. There are some great shipping tubes at Utrecht that are perfect for this. As far as the presentation of that work goes, I don't know what I could tell you. When I visited UCLA's grad studios there was a painter who pinned his work on cavas to a wall. Perhaps you could do the same?

Congrats to you! I visited your site. I earned my BFA from Memphis College of Art, it's wonderful that they are pulling people from that region and I really hope you get in!

A photographer at MCA, Tommy Kha, got an interview for Yale's Photo Department. I looked at their student diversity, and it seems there is only one student from TN....none from MS, AL, GA, or SC....I think Southerners are a minority for sure, which may or may not work out to our benefit :lol:

yay for Memphis! I went to Rhodes as an undergrad, graduated in '09...living back up north now, but I miss Memphis so much!

@ECM: i looove your work, it is absolutely stunning. i could look at those images for hours.

@jmc2011: your work sounds cool, do you have a site?

like jmc2011 and Payne, I am a figurative painter also. i was rejected from Yale too. I've found it very frustrating that many programs really don't seem to be very figurative-friendly....i feel like i just don't see much figurative work being done by current students, but maybe that's an inaccurate judgment and it's just that I'm expecting to see more of it than I am.

good luck to all of you with interviews!

I had a bunch of friends get interviewed last year. One got in, and their practice is very grounded in critical theory.

I heard they throw some ridiculous questions at you. Like what is the pinnacle historical painting.

I find the schools reputation to be a bit inflated at this point. I can't tell you how many Yale MFA art handlers I work with.

Good luck, and I hope it's the right fit.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm right there with you ( I got an interview for painting as well) I'm trying to figure out the logistics of shipping a canvas painting that is 84"x60" This is going to be a nightmare. I barely have enough money to buy a new pair of shoes let alone a plane ticket and $600 shipping costs. :lol: I read somewhere that it's 20 minutes to talk about your work and 20 minutes Q&A. No idea what kinds of questions or any details....I do know that there is a 30min installation time prior to the interview. 75 interviews for roughly 22 spots. so 30% get in. Here's to more sleepless nights ahead.

Yeah, I have NO money either. It could easily be over $1000 flying/shipping. Have you heard if they would accept large photographs of art?

Right now I'm thinking of driving a flatbed cross country.

Edited by eleven

Yeah, I have really no money either. It could easily be over $1000 to get me and my art there. Have you heard if they would accept large photographs of art?

I never asked. My work is leagues better in person. I'll just be dropping the coin to get it there and cross my fingers that I'll still have enough money to buy food. :lol:

I interviewed at Yale for painting two years ago, but wasn't accepted. What's worse is that I haven't been invited back for an interview! I don't really care too much this time around though. After the interview, when I found out I wasn't accepted, I really had a hard time moving forward with my work because I kept thinking about all the things they said / questions they asked.

When you get there, they have a bunch of students around that will basically install your work for you (unless it is a really specific installation and you'd want to do it yourself). You spend thirty minutes in the room with two faculty members (I was with Robert Storr and Peter Halley). They basically started by asking about my personal history, where I grew up, went to school, etc. Then they asked me to talk about my work about, interjecting questions throughout, which then sort of set the pace for the interview. My work is very content-heavy and the one thing I remember the most was Rob Storr asking me "If you're work wasn't about this, then what would it be?" I was kind of blown away as that was something of a mindf*ck.

I guess the best advice I can give you would be to go in there very confident (mine was certainly lacking) and a little bit of an ego or f*ck you attitude wouldn't hurt, so long as you can back it up (otherwise you'll just come off as ignorant). But yeah, I think I would have fared much better had I not been so timid.

that's a pretty amazing question....it actually makes me excited to know it's not the run of the mill questions. of course that means there are ample more opportunities for me to trip up in the interview.

thanks for the heads up.

James

Good luck! I hope it works out for you...it's a really great program.

that's a pretty amazing question....it actually makes me excited to know it's not the run of the mill questions. of course that means there are ample more opportunities for me to trip up in the interview.

thanks for the heads up.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to those who got interviews and good luck! I heard the interview process was brutal last year. I read some posts here (from last year) that the Yale students who got to interview with the faculty came off very aggressive. I can't forget how one poster claimed the students laughed at her and her work and it made her cry. The students seem to think they have a lot of say with the decisions. Hopefully, they won't be that narcissistic this year.

@ jmc2011,

I got rejected from Yale too and it was my 2nd time applying there. I feel like it was such a waste of time and money. Like you, my work is narrative and figurative, with strong conceptual backing. I've been working on my theme for a few years and it's from my personal life/experiences and research, which I believe is very underrepresented. I've been out of school for a couple of years and everything in my portfolio were work I did outside of undergrad.

Anyway, I went to Yale's open house in 2009. The majority of the work I saw were large scale geometric abstraction or just plain abstraction. I also saw a lot of minimalistic conceptual work and some sculptural pieces and work using found objects. I should have taken that as a sign to not apply again this time around. It seems like Peter Halley (director of graduate studies in painting/printmaking) likes to pick students who does similar work. It also seems as if they like students who are straight out of undergrad (I know of 3 straight out of undergrads who got in last year).

The main reason I applied again was because I met a student there who kind of does the same work I do, Njideka Akunyili (only difference is, I'm not African-American). Another reason was, when I went to the open house, the faculty spoke as if they were really promoting diversity, which I don't believe anymore.

I don't feel bad about being rejected from Yale, it just confirmed my thoughts about the school. And I wouldn't know what to do about the interview anyway, I honestly can't afford having to ship large paintings to New Haven (all the way from the west coast). Yale is the only school I know who requires to ship large-scale work for their interview (where the chance to get in is only 30%). What do they think, people applying for an MFA are already made of money? Or are they trying to weed out economically disadvantaged people who can't afford it?

If his name is Njideka Akunyili, then I will bet anything that he is definitely not African American.