Taking Calculus 3 after...

I am planning on going back to graduate school to get my Masters in Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering (geotech). I have a BS in Geology, but only required up to Calc 2. As you all know, I need Calc 3 and Diffy Q for an engineering degree. The thing is, I haven't taken Calc 2 in 5 years! Should I just review and take Calc 3 (I'm leaning more towards this), or, start over at Calc 2, or even Calc 1?

Thanks for your input.

I've applied to Colorado School of Mines...the wait is horrible!

Edited by paigeski

All depends on how well you remember it, and how fast you usually pick up math-y things.

I had a 2 year break between finishing Calc 2 and starting Calc 3, and it wasn't much of a problem. And then I had to re-learn it all again 4 years later when I took my quantum mechanics class in grad school.

I'd get a book from the library, and refresh your memory on what these derivative and integral things are, and then just give it a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

In all honesty, when I took Calc 3 I felt as though I had wasted my time taking Calc 2 -- The only concept you //needed// from Calc 2 was Integration by Parts.

Anyways, just pick up a copy of Stewart Calculus (or something similar) and you should be fine... most of college calculus is just formulas and algebraic manipulation anyways (in my opinion)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just go into Calc 3. Calc III doesn't really emphasize tricky integrals it's more about the concepts behind using multivariables. Unless you have a huge jerk for a professor, you really won't be doing ludicrously difficult integration.

Well -- I think I have you all beat :-) I signed up for Calculus 3 this past fall after taking my last math classes in 1987 (Calc (full year) and Differential Equations). Calc 3 was a struggle, since I did need to review a considerable amount of Calc 1 and 2 material, but I went on to take Linear Algebra with no problems, and I'm currently taking Calc 4 and Differential Equations. It does get easier, but be prepared to work really hard at first.

Just go into Calc 3. Calc III doesn't really emphasize tricky integrals it's more about the concepts behind using multivariables. Unless you have a huge jerk for a professor, you really won't be doing ludicrously difficult integration.

My class was full of ludicrously difficult integrals. Much harder integrals than Calc II actually. It was the honors section, though. And it was SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the standard sections. So I guess it depends on the class/professor.

I was in the same situation and I opted to retake both classes. I had forgotten so much and really needed to retake the classes again. It set me back a bit as far as time, but it was well worth it for me.