Cornell PhD in CS: Do they conduct interviews?

Cosmic

:) I'm not worried about interviewing. I'm worried about not getting interviews to begin with!

I'm in the same boat. Not a peep out of Cornell on my application. I have sent out a few mails requesting information to the "phd" e-mail address for the department, but they have all gone unanswered. I have also called the graduate coordinator a few times, but the phone is never answered. I am afraid that I am looking at a rejection at this point because the results database entries for Cornell's Fall 2011 PhD admits show that admissions and interview requests went out at the start of February. No communication from Cornell about being placed on a waitlist, interviews, or visits. No invitation for a campus visit. On the bright side, no rejections or offers of admittance to the MS program.

Does anyone have any insight into the admissions timeframe for Cornell? Has anyone received a rejection from them yet?

I was admitted this year to Cornell's CS PhD program (theory) without an interview. I don't know how they decide who to interview.

Can you please share your profile so the unlucky guys like me knows what is it necessary to enter in Cornell Theory ?

I was interviewed by 3 professors and 1 PhD student before getting my acceptance at Cornell Information Science. Actually, the Department of CS forwarded my application to IS Department and they were checking if I was happy with that. I took time to accept this and was asking questions regarding IS. Finally, a Professor called and offered me to pick either of CS and IS after explaining different sides of these two. However, I chose IS at that time. Soon after that I got a acceptance notification with 22236 USD + Health Insurance and Tution fees. Can anybody tell me if this is the normal amount of money they offer or less than that ?

Regarding profile, I dont have a very high profile. International student, UG cgpa: 3.91/4.00, GRE: 1410, TOEFL: 110, Fulbright Scholarship, 1 book chapter, 4 journals, 13 conference papers. I think my research interest is aligned to some of their research objectives.

Edited by Camouflaged

Alas, I have finally received a rejection e-mail from Cornell. Not to worry though, since I have prepared the proper response:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for the taking the time to review my application for the computer

science PhD program at Cornell, and for your notification that I have not

been accepted into the program. After careful consideration, I regret to

inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position as

a student within the program.

This year, I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually

large number of high-quality rejection letters from a variety of excellent

backgrounds. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is

impossible for me to accept every rejection that I have received.

Despite Cornell University's outstanding reputation and previous experience

in rejecting program applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my

needs at this time. Therefore, I will be moving forward with the Cornell

matriculation process and will complete the first step of the "new graduate

student checklist" ("purchase parking pass") as soon as I am able.

Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to seeing you in the

fall!

I don't expect to hear anything back. Oh well. Feel free to use this as a template for your own rejections, be it for paper submissions, applications to programs, or even job applications. :)

Awesome... I'm going to prepare that for my Berkeley reject. On the contrary, now I understand why MIT puts up the results in their website and doesn't have the balls to inform us through emails. tongue.gif

Alas, I have finally received a rejection e-mail from Cornell. Not to worry though, since I have prepared the proper response:

I don't expect to hear anything back. Oh well. Feel free to use this as a template for your own rejections, be it for paper submissions, applications to programs, or even job applications. :)

Edited by psychopath@100