Can't Make Open Weekends

sorashinobi

I am out of the country for the year and it appears that most of the schools aren't going to cover even half the cost of an international flight. I feel like I am at a huge disadvantage because i am not going to get the benefit of learning from other people's questions and also not getting to talk face to face, especially about financial matters.

So...

1) What questions would you ask professors/ administrators/ grad students?

2) Any tips on dealing with financial negotiations over the phone?

Thanks!

I am out of the country for the year and it appears that most of the schools aren't going to cover even half the cost of an international flight. I feel like I am at a huge disadvantage because i am not going to get the benefit of learning from other people's questions and also not getting to talk face to face, especially about financial matters.

So...

1) What questions would you ask professors/ administrators/ grad students?

2) Any tips on dealing with financial negotiations over the phone?

Thanks!

Hi!

You can ask questions about TAing (load, responsibilities, opportunities to teach your own course), if you are interested in class discussions you can ask about average class size (seminar-style pr lecture-style), social atmosphere in a department, are students competitive or supportive, is it possible to change advisor, what is the general mentoring style in the department... There are many things to ask. It has been discussed on this forum in many threads, some quite recent, you might want to search for them.

Talking about funding over the phone - why not? I did that at it felt quite appropriate.

Depending on where you're flying in from, you may be able to patch together the visit funds that various schools can offer into a single ticket and then visit several schools during a single week. That's what I'm trying to do...

Depending on where you're flying in from, you may be able to patch together the visit funds that various schools can offer into a single ticket and then visit several schools during a single week. That's what I'm trying to do...

I'm trying to do the same thing. make sure the schools know about your situation though; some may be willing to cover more for international visits.