Cornell University

anonymity

Hey Guys,

Anyone attending Cornell for graduate studies beginning this fall?

I've got an offer for funded PhD in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. Will be taking it most prob.

Others out there..lets get in touch.

Cheers!

Edited by devasTated_cZar

Just got offered admission in Anthropology! Haven't decided yet, but it's great news and I may be there!

congrats! ... since many cornell results are out , i'm wondering why people haven't posted here..maybe they are waiting for other offers.

congrats! ... since many cornell results are out , i'm wondering why people haven't posted here..maybe they are waiting for other offers.

I got into Applied Mathematics. =D I haven't accepted yet, but it is my top choice.

By the way, I'm sure not everyone who posts their results has seen the forum. I just noticed and joined a few hours ago even though I had been checking the results for about 2 months now.

I got accepted to the Ph.D. program in (pure) mathematics with a full fellowship, and while I'm still waiting on responses from a handful of schools, Cornell was a near-top choice for me. I've basically set my heart on going, and I'll be visiting Cornell and Ithaca in 2 weeks (the department is covering a large portion of my travel costs). I'm still in a state of surprise over getting in, and I'm thrilled to go!

Hi there! Accepted for the History of Art PhD program for this fall. Exciting, but I'm still waiting to hear from Duke and Harvard. Hey, so I plan on visiting Cornell in mid-March; do you think I should ask my department if they'd pay/reimburse my trip?

The Mathematics Dept. is partially reimbursing my travel costs for a visit, so it might not hurt to ask.

Hi there! Accepted for the History of Art PhD program for this fall. Exciting, but I'm still waiting to hear from Duke and Harvard. Hey, so I plan on visiting Cornell in mid-March; do you think I should ask my department if they'd pay/reimburse my trip?

I am an international student so I'm definitely not going but the department (mech. engg.) offered to partial reimburse the travel costs. You could ask your department.. it couldn't hurt.

I'm accepted at the Anthro department, and they're reimbursing my trip, too. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Accepted to masters in public policy course ($28,000); haven't accepted yet but probably will as it's my top choice.

surprised not to see more responses on here given the results are out.

What are people thinking about accomodation?

I was accepted with full funding to the Department of Near Eastern Studies MA/PhD. It was my only offer, so I will likely take it. I am visiting Ithaca next weekend to check it out. Looking forward to seeing campus and meeting with potential advisors.

Hey guys,

Accepted to masters in public policy course ($28,000); haven't accepted yet but probably will as it's my top choice.

surprised not to see more responses on here given the results are out.

What are people thinking about accomodation?

planning to finalize the apartment in may-june? wud that be too late ?

• 3 weeks later...

I was accepted with full funding to the Department of Near Eastern Studies MA/PhD. It was my only offer, so I will likely take it. I am visiting Ithaca next weekend to check it out. Looking forward to seeing campus and meeting with potential advisors.

I was accepted to the MS program in Entomology for Fall 2011. I don't know how to feel. I was accepted into PhD programs both at U Florida and Penn State in the same field with full funding. However, Cornell is #1 in this field and I hopefully will be able to switch to the PhD after doing the MS there, which is fully funded (unusual for a Masters program).

Edited by oboeking4314

Hey Guys,

Anyone attending Cornell for graduate studies beginning this fall?

I've got an offer for funded PhD in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. Will be taking it most prob.

Others out there..lets get in touch.

Cheers!

Hey, I'll be there in the Fall (most likely) getting a doctoral degree in the Center for Applied Mathematics. See you at Chapter House!

I am going there for a CS M.Eng. Does anyone want to find an apartment together? it seems a lot cheaper that way. Please email or gchat sunnyeyre.

what are you guys doing about housing? .. anybody finalized any deals.. any info would be helpful .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I accepted my offer from Cornell last week and will start in August (MEng in CS). Locking forward to it...

About housing:

I'm currently checking which is the best option for me. On or off campus? Since, I'm an international student, on campus would be easier to manage / book in advance. However, I've read that off campus is much cheaper in Ithaca. What would you recommend in my situation (International student). Any suggestions?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few resources that might be of use for housing at Cornell:

1.) Send an email to the office administrator at the program you applied to. in some programs they send these requests back out to people in the program (you may have already gotten some of these).

2). Craigslist for Ithaca can be found at: http://ithaca.craigslist.org/

A friendly note on the "searching for roomates" section actually works.

3). A list of rooms and apartments available in the area can be obtained from the Cornell

Off-Campus Housing Office: http://dos.cornell.edu/ocho/

4) The daily Ithaca paper is the Ithaca Journal: http://www.theithacajournal.com/

5) The Weekly Ithaca "free" paper is the Ithaca Times: http://www.ithaca.com/

6) The Cornell Sun, which is published daily Fall and Summer when classes are in session, is a great source (but unfortunately they don't seem to reproduce the rental ads in the online edition): http://cornellsun.com/

7) I expect you've all seen the official grad housing site: http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/housing/gradhousing.cfm

It's really unfortunate that, when making your Grad application, nothing tells you that the on-campus housing application process starts in EARLY January (this year was January 10, I think, the same day Grad applications were due). I discovered this in early February and sent in a housing application, even though I hadn't been accepted to the HPP program yet. They only have enough housing on campus for max. 20% of the Grad students they accept, I am told.

At the open house (April 1) I asked the current students in my program if any of them had been able to get on-campus housing... None of them had, and none knew anyone who had. One told me not to wait to hear from on-campus housing, because instead of sending you a note saying they don't have a spot, they just won't contact you AT ALL. I was searching early, before I knew if I had been admitted or not.

If you haven't visited Ithaca in the winter, you have to be particularly aware NOW of the location of the hills that Ithaca is built on, and the distance you will be from campus. Some of the steep streets and hills of the collegetown area are a challenge at times. Make use of Google Maps when doing remote control searching to spot the hills. You DO get a one year local TCAT bus pass as a grad student, and they do have bike racks on the busses so you can get back UP the hill. Car parking spaces are in extremely short supply close to campus. Renting a private space may be an option, but expensive.

Best wishes!

---------------------

• 2 years later...

(Yay now there are two Cornell threads!)

The question is: Do you even want to live on campus? Off campus is much cheaper and as an international student you really need the extra money (for flights etc).

Personally, I would look for rooms in college town. It is pretty close to campus and still affordable.