Any news on UVA?

I still have not heard a peep from UVA, and my status on the website is not updated. I have an acceptance from another program that I am very excited about, but the funding is not great, so I would like to know all of my options before committing. Do you think it would be reasonable to contact UVA to inquire about my status? If I am rejected, I would like to know so that I can figure out housing and what not for next year. Then again, it seems like my status would be updated on the website if they had made a decision.

I contacted Gordon Braden on Monday and he told me that he would let me know before the week is out. Maybe that's when they will be emailing the rest of us?

I still have not heard a peep from UVA, and my status on the website is not updated. I have an acceptance from another program that I am very excited about, but the funding is not great, so I would like to know all of my options before committing. Do you think it would be reasonable to contact UVA to inquire about my status? If I am rejected, I would like to know so that I can figure out housing and what not for next year. Then again, it seems like my status would be updated on the website if they had made a decision.

I contacted Gordon Braden on Monday and he told me that he would let me know before the week is out. Maybe that's when they will be emailing the rest of us?

Thanks, sareene. I came to the forum to see what the general consensus was for those of us who've not heard anything yet. I'm really itching to accept the one offer I did receive (which I am grateful for) but feel like doing so before hearing back from all the programs is unwise...not that I think I'm getting an accept, and honestly I prefer my accept to CUNY than UVA (for location and program-fit reasons), but it would be nice for them to just let us know by now. They have sent out rejections, right??? What's holding them up...I mean, if 95% of us are rejects (approx), isn't it pretty clear whose made the cut and who hasn't by now?!

OK...me again! Just re-checked the website and noticed at the very bottom that as of yesterday, my decision was available online, and the link took me to their standard rejection form letter. Not a surprise....actually just a relief to have an answer either way! No email, so if you are still waiting from UVA, I recommend logging in and scrolling to the bottom of your application's home page. Best of luck to everyone else!

isa_cl, are you checking the "Apply Yourself" page, or another UVA website? Thanks!

OK...me again! Just re-checked the website and noticed at the very bottom that as of yesterday, my decision was available online, and the link took me to their standard rejection form letter. Not a surprise....actually just a relief to have an answer either way! No email, so if you are still waiting from UVA, I recommend logging in and scrolling to the bottom of your application's home page. Best of luck to everyone else!

I just checked the Apply Yourself site--same thing. Form rejection. I knew it was coming, and UVA was a bit of a reach. Glad to have it resolved one way or the other. It is now officially down to my final four (three wait-lists and one borderline-bankrupt school that has yet to notify anybody).

isa_cl, are you checking the "Apply Yourself" page, or another UVA website? Thanks!

I checked the ¨Apply Yourself¨ page-- the same place where you fill out your application and it tracks your letters of rec. and official scores/ transcripts. It looks like the emails came out this morning and there was a direct link.

Sorry, am I missing something? I went to the ApplyYourself page, logged in and it shows my rec letters and transcripts and there was no link to anything on the bottom of that page. Then I clicked on my application and nothing. I even clicked "message center."

That gives me hope and that is not a good thing!

It seems like maybe they haven't contacted the wait-listed people. I think that Gordon Braden is going to let the wait-listed people know by email, so maybe it hasn't gone through yet on the application website.

Who knows though...

That gives me hope and that is not a good thing!

Sareene, have you tried contacting Gordon Braden directly? He is fantastic, and would probably get back to you relatively quickly. Especially given all the activity that's happened lately (according to the results board) I'm sure he's expecting a few emails. I'd try it! It is March 25, after all...

Best of luck to you!

I emailed him on Tuesday and he said he would get back to me by the end of this week via email. Would it be bad form to email him again?

Sareene, have you tried contacting Gordon Braden directly? He is fantastic, and would probably get back to you relatively quickly. Especially given all the activity that's happened lately (according to the results board) I'm sure he's expecting a few emails. I'd try it! It is March 25, after all...

Best of luck to you!

I emailed him on Tuesday and he said he would get back to me by the end of this week via email. Would it be bad form to email him again?

I don't think it's bad form. This is the end of the week, in my opinion! For what it's worth, I know that he has sent emails to a couple groups of people on Sundays this year.

I'll wait till Monday, I think. Though this is just torture! Thanks for the advice!

I don't think it's bad form. This is the end of the week, in my opinion! For what it's worth, I know that he has sent emails to a couple groups of people on Sundays this year.

I'm in the same boat and emailed the DGS today...I hate to be a pest, but I want to know for sure that I'm a reject before making a decision about my other acceptances.

I'll wait till Monday, I think. Though this is just torture! Thanks for the advice!

I emailed the DGS today, and he told me that I was rejected. Sad, but not unexpected.

However, my ApplyYourself status still doesn't have the "reject" letter posted (he said it was updated on Friday), so it might be useful to email if you really need to know.

Two recent admits off the waitlist. Anyone care to claim and offer details?

I was admitted off the wait list--I'm the poster from this past Sunday. What details would you like to know? Myareas of interest include nineteenth-century literature and culture, textualstudies/book history, and the digital humanities.

Thanks, guys! I cried after I got the phone call--UVa was number one on my list. I'm going to talk with Braden tomorrow but assuming all goes well with the questions I have for him I think I will very likely be coming to UVa this fall.

By the way, lyoness, that means I'll be declining my offer from UT-Austin (I know you're waitlisted--I was a UT-Austin-board-stalker for a while--congrats on that, by the way!). I don't think I'm in your area, but sometimes things shift in funny ways toward the admissions deadline, so here's hoping it means good news for you, somehow!

Thanks for the reply! That's helpful, because I'm thinking I should call Gordon Braden over the next few days to ask if he can give me any sense of the likelihood of being accepted. It will probably help to know that you're taking the spot.

Congrats again! Eek waiting on this is a bit stressful... I'm not even 100% sure that UVA is the right place for me, but I can't really say for sure until I talk to some people there.

Thanks, Giaour! I'm actually leaning to turning down my UTA waitlist spot as well. I think UM might be the right place for me, but I really appreciate you thinking about all us other waitlisters. I'm so glad to hear that things are working out pretty much perfectly for you. I so prefer happy endings!