Columbia Application Status

worriestoomuch

Hi Folks,

For anyone familiar with Columbia's application process- I checked my application status online. Although it says all my stuff has been received, the status is "incomplete." Does this mean I messed up somewhere or just that no decision has been made on me yet? Also, the "at department" space is blank- does this mean my file hasn't even reached the relevant admissions committee? I've seen at least one person post an acceptance to this department on the results board and I'm starting to worry that my application is going to get lost in the ether...

I don't want to be "that student" that annoys the admissions committee- so I thought I'd check with you all before I contact anyone at Columbia. Am I being paranoid?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Folks,

For anyone familiar with Columbia's application process- I checked my application status online. Although it says all my stuff has been received, the status is "incomplete." Does this mean I messed up somewhere or just that no decision has been made on me yet? Also, the "at department" space is blank- does this mean my file hasn't even reached the relevant admissions committee? I've seen at least one person post an acceptance to this department on the results board and I'm starting to worry that my application is going to get lost in the ether...

I don't want to be "that student" that annoys the admissions committee- so I thought I'd check with you all before I contact anyone at Columbia. Am I being paranoid?

Thanks for your help!

Mine says "Submission Status:Submitted" I also got an e-mail saying it was under faculty review. I would definitely call..

Please call them. They didn't get my GRE scores, nor updated my personal statement, writing sample, etc. One phone call, a few follow-up emails, and all is resolved.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I had to call a bunch of people - you can usually find who's responsible for your program if you go to the apply yourself website, click on the program, and then it should list the description, requirements, blah blah and a list of people who are responsible for the program. You can also call the general GSAS line and they were the ones who directed me to the correct person. They are not in the best of mood as they expect your call to be asking about your application status, but just plow ahead and tell them it's regarding the completeness of your application. I had to phone 3 people before getting to the right person, so don't give up. They were fairly nice and helpful once I got to them. Best of luck!

sorry, I meant to say it wasn't helpful calling my program, they don't know anything since GSAS forwards everything to them, so GSAS are the people to talk to.

Sorry, I keep editing. I did call the program, and they were the ones who told me that my application (which was almost complete was being considered), but on my application it said "At Department". So you may want to check with them first to see if your application is being considered. Hopefully it's okay.

Jcandy- did you contact your department directly or just call the admissions office?

I went ahead and sent an e-mail to the generic GSAS admission e-mail address, but now I'm wishing I'd just gotten in touch directly so I'd know what was going on by now.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Edited by jcandy