University of Maryland (MPP) official thread

letsjustgo

Not heard anything about the interview either!

I am an international student, and suppose to have Skype interview today,

I didn't receive any e-mail about the open house... hmmmm kind of weird. by the way, have you interviewed?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didn't receive any letters or get any Emails about open houses or here anything about any interviews, but after months of waiting they finally posted that I was accepted online with no mention of any funding other than saying that I would be considered out of state. Anyone here back from the RFFG fellowship??

Wow! congrats! Was this the first time you heard from UMD, or did they send you your admission letter prior to the merit award notification?

admitted with half graduate assistantship :) so happy! guess they are on the 2nd round. Good luck for you all!!

Congratulations! :-) thats brilliant news!

No news on my decision yet though! :D

admitted with half graduate assistantship :) so happy! guess they are on the 2nd round. Good luck for you all!!

Wow! congrats! Was this the first time you heard from UMD, or did they send you your admission letter prior to the merit award notification?

Yes, it was my first time. I got an e-mail that they want to interview me, and after the interview, accepted.

Wow congrats! I got in late last month, but they said they werent sure if they could get funding for me... I guess that means no funding :(

Yes, it was my first time. I got an e-mail that they want to interview me, and after the interview, accepted.

Congrats! I received the email from Ms.Faulkner yesterday's moring and get the same assistantship with you, however, I was not informed the exact amouts of the funding. Ms.Faulkner told me in the email that they are taking the spring break, and the formal admission will be mailed out next Friday, that's too late. I want to make my decision as soon as possible. Since I don't know the money I am granted, I cannot compare UMD with JHU's MPP program which offers me $21k per year scholarship...A really twisted choice.

For the Half Assistantship, Maryland gives forgives the cost of five credits of tuition per semester, charges the remainder at in-state rates, gives you a stipend of around $6000 a year. If I remember correctly, this takes care of all tuition and fees except for about $2k a semester. Then its up to you to pay for living costs. So I believe you would save significantly over JHU, even with your funding.

My friend was chosen as an RFFG fellow. I think he has to decide this week if he accepts or declines, in which case an alternate will be chosen. He'll probably accept though (how do you turn down full tuition with $35k of stipend money over 2 years!?)

Did your friend separately apply for the RFFG?

For the Half Assistantship, Maryland gives forgives the cost of five credits of tuition per semester, charges the remainder at in-state rates, gives you a stipend of around $6000 a year. If I remember correctly, this takes care of all tuition and fees except for about $2k a semester. Then its up to you to pay for living costs. So I believe you would save significantly over JHU, even with your funding.

My friend was chosen as an RFFG fellow. I think he has to decide this week if he accepts or declines, in which case an alternate will be chosen. He'll probably accept though (how do you turn down full tuition with $35k of stipend money over 2 years!?)

Hi,

I also received the same funding package from UMD, as well as 26k from JHU. I'm interested to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of the UMD program. I have almost eliminated it from my list, except I haven't because of the funding. I went to the JHU Open House last week and was thoroughly impressed. I will be attending UMD's next week and just do not see it living up.

This might be completely unjustified-so I'm interested in hearing what others think about Maryland. Thanks!

Congrats! I received the email from Ms.Faulkner yesterday's moring and get the same assistantship with you, however, I was not informed the exact amouts of the funding. Ms.Faulkner told me in the email that they are taking the spring break, and the formal admission will be mailed out next Friday, that's too late. I want to make my decision as soon as possible. Since I don't know the money I am granted, I cannot compare UMD with JHU's MPP program which offers me $21k per year scholarship...A really twisted choice.

Hey admits! Anyone from Cali (or other state) going to admitted students day who is interested in sharing a shuttle from the airport to campus? Do you all know whether there are any options to stay overnight with a current student?

Info about me:

24y/o, TOTALLY NEW TO THE EAST COAST! gah :D, friendly

Edited by fishpoo

Could you give approximate stats/background of your friend who was chosen as an RFFG fellow? Thanks!

Could you give approximate stats/background of your friend who was chosen as an RFFG fellow? Thanks!

He was an IR major at a top 25 school with a prety good GPA and a high GRE score. He graduated in 2008 and is currently in the Peace Corps. He had to write a short separate essay to be considered for the fellowship.

• 1 month later...