NSERC 2011-2012

boourns

you had really a good CV then. How couldn't you get it? were all the papers from your PhD? Are you an Engineering student?

you know, I've heard it depends also on the school. Every school has a percentage of the whole awards given annually. Of course, it is more competitive at good schools.

I had 3 published papers and one in review and I still got rejected for the PGS-D.

wired. Let 's see what happens to one of my labmates. he has no journal paper published, only 2 or 3 conference proceedings. I'll let you know. World is unfair generally!

Just got the email from the awards guy in our department. No NSERC for me. Apparently there will be a second round of awards offered in May but I'm not holding my breath. Good luck to everyone else!!

One thing that I do not have doubt about is Community Involvement, for which I was very involved through committee chairing, and volunteering many things..I have been really involved in extra-curric...

but this hasn't been stated clearly in their criteria. They have clear wights for research and communication.

by the way, I didn't PDF, just pre-approved for IRDF!

One thing that I do not have doubt about is Community Involvement, for which I was very involved through committee chairing, and volunteering many things..I have been really involved in extra-curric...

Yes, I do agree with you. It feels like to me NSERC is seeking potential leaders in academia and rather than pure good researcher.

FYI this year the total number of PDF awarded was 131 (past years over 200 and last year 286)...Budget cuts they claimed...

Received the IRDF (pre-approved).

Edited by usercu

FYI this year the total number of PDF awarded was 131 (past years over 200 and last year 286)...Budget cuts they claimed...

Received the IRDF (pre-approved).

From where you got this number 131?

By the way, I am PR as well (not Canadian citizen)

Is it possible to know more information about a PDF "meritorious" rejection? like for instance, the ranking to at least know more or less the chances of getting the fellowship in may?

I am not sure but I think the only way you can know your exact ranking is to ask for details concerning your evaluation (in june) and you shall receive it in june or july (so after may anyway).

I think "meritorious rejection" means that you almost got it but there might be between 5 or 50++ persons before you and only NSERC knows that (until june or july).

Edited by grady