NSERC 2011-2012

boourns

This information was sent as "confidential" to all universities along with the recipients of the awards (besides the PDFs which were notified directly by mail). You may verify this with your School of Graduate Studies and let us know if it is valid...

Hi all,

Congrats to winners and wish patience and toughness for not-winners.

I received a letter on Monday 21st, dated 18th, saying that I was rejected a PDF but pre-approved for an IRDF. I am hopeful to find some connections to do this IRDF somewhere as I know people who were successful finding a company.

Although I am not sure if number of papers counts a lot or not but I have 10 peer-reviewed journal papers, 8 of which was from my PhD, 2 conference proceedings. I have some industrial research (not too much though), and some community involvement, university teaching, and leadership of a university sub-community.

I am not a Canadian citizen.

Bests,

Hi all,

I received a letter on Monday 21st, dated 18th, saying that I was rejected a PDF but pre-approved for an IRDF. I am hopeful to find some connections to do this IRDF somewhere as I know people who were successful finding a company.

Although I am not sure if number of papers counts a lot or not but I have 10 peer-reviewed journal papers, 8 of which was from my PhD, 2 conference proceedings. I have some industrial research (not too much though), and some community involvement, university teaching, and leadership of a university sub-community.

Bests,

Sorry to hear that. You sound like a strong candidate. As you say, you still have a pre-approved IRDF however and hope you can make use of it. In which domain did you get your phd?

Edited by grady

Hi all,

Bests,

OH BIG SHIT, I have indeed nothing to say to NSERC. I hope you can find a faculty job soon.

To cathome: I have seen people with less publication who got NSERC awards.

To grady: Mechanical Engineering/Solid Mechanics of Active Materials. Maybe my too much theoretical work was a minus in my application.

I saw my friend with total 16 publications and 2 IEEE LIFE FELLOW references got rejected last year, not even getting pre-approved IRDF.

With IRDF and without "networking", I will have to find a company and willing to be a low paid worker not a researcher. I think I am giving up and going to find a REAL job, at least it will pay my rent and food.

One thing i dont understand is that why NSERC can not just give 30K directly to second tier PDF instead of IRDF. With that 30k, I still can go to US or UK to have myself get gold-plated with big name university.

Edited by cathome

As a winner of PDF, I believe my success roots in "excessive community involvement" and "good proposal"...publications can get you to a level (to which many applicants get) after that, you should be someone more than a pure researcher..I am not saying I am, but I have not been just studying..

I completely agree with you, but I realized it at the end of the road. Hope new PHDs read this thread.

Half was cut by Harper government

Edited by cathome

to Scholar: I am not sure what you mean by "excessive community involvement". I am not sure who can be excessively involved with community while conducting intensive research. During my PhD almost everyday when I went home I was worn out and physically tired of my day work.

Just to give more information, I myself was an elected president of a university community of about 100 people for a year with many activities. I mentioned this in my application.

Edited by myself

to myself: Are you coming from a very competitive university like U of T. I believe NSERC allocates a quota for each university. So in this case, even though you could get the NSERC PDF at a mid level university, still you might fall short in the best university. Just a thought.

In our lab (Biomedical engineering, medical imaging), I have seen people getting NSERC PDF with lesser amount of publications (like 2 or 3 journals from PhD). In our lab projects solve a clinical problem in additional to an engineering contribution. I do not know whether this is a criteria for NSERC.

In our lab (Biomedical engineering, medical imaging), I have seen people getting NSERC PDF with lesser amount of publications (like 2 or 3 journals from PhD). In our lab projects solve a clinical problem in additional to an engineering contribution. I do not know whether this is a criteria for NSERC.

Ppl say it also depends on area. Health, Nano, Biomed, energy are more like to get.

Sorry to hear that. You sound like a strong candidate. As you say, you still have a pre-approved IRDF however and hope you can make use of it. In which domain did you get your phd?

Grady, are all of your 10 publications are first author?

Good. So you have the minimum req. for this. Some people do not have and I was talking about them. By excessive I mean, 4 elected executive positions governing 2000-5000 grads. Research proposal and field of study also makes a difference..

I initiated a grant proposal for CHRP and took the lead to find the co-applicants and writing the proposal. The NOI was successful, and we're waiting for the results of the final application. I featured it in my application. My NSERC proposal also was an interface between engineering and health.

I also had enough voluntary work in my application, but still didn't get it!

So sad, didn't win CGS-D this year, oh well what can you do!

Sorry to hear that. Hope it can motivate you to excel even more. Do you wish to share your publications/application summary ?

At the time of application I had just started the second year of my master's program (tough to complete in the Doctorate category)! I had two papers submitted in mid high-very high impact journals ( <4 and <8 impact factor), 2 intl conference presentations, and 5 provincial/regional presentations. I also won 3 relatively large provincial awards (5-10k) and had a ton of extra curricular activities (chair of 3 different committies, 5 volunteer positions).

I'm not devastated that I didn't win since I didn't think I had a stellar app for the doctoral category, but still disappointed!

Those two papers are now in press for publication, I am collecting data for a third, supervising 3 undergraduate honours projects and working on a book chapter. I am coming back with a vengeance next year NSERC!!!

I'm just glad I don't have to creep this forum or obsess with checking my mailbox anymore!

Congrats to everyone who won and best of luck in the future for all applicants!

i got a word from my grad office people that i got cgsd3 but no mail yet!! kinda want to see the real thing to reassure myself :(

That's exactly how I feel! I found out from my grad secretary on Friday (CGSD3 as well), but I won't truly believe it until I have the letter in my hands.

Congratulations though!

On Monday, I received a letter (regarding PGS/CGS) from NSERC, thought that it was for me, but turned out it's for someone else. Funnily, NSERC used my mailing address (which is in QC) but with a postal code of ON. I think they're messing up my record (and possibly that of the other guy too!). I emailed them and they said they were looking into it; but no response as what has happened yet.

Do you think NSERC send out all letters of notification in one go, or they do it gradually (finish one letter then send, etc.)

Edited by danngo

So sad, didn't win CGS-D this year, oh well what can you do!

You are from the U of A? How did you find out? (I'm from there too, and FGSR just told me that all they had was an unofficial list and couldn't release details, and my department doesn't even have anything yet).