Waitlists

nervousnelly

It seems like schools already admit more people than they hope will accept (say, admitting 15 people, hoping 10 will accept), before they ever get to taking people from the waitlist. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, does anyone ever get off a waitlist, or is it just a soft rejection?

It seems like schools already admit more people than they hope will accept (say, admitting 15 people, hoping 10 will accept), before they ever get to taking people from the waitlist. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, does anyone ever get off a waitlist, or is it just a soft rejection?

People definetely do get off waitlist!

After the recent financial crisis, several schools now only offer as many acceptances as they have positions, putting everyone else they were still interested in onto their wait-list. I'm not sure what sub-field of history you're in, but I do know of some esteemed history programs that do this, and have taken students off their waiting list the last few years.

Did it mention anywhere in the letter of half-acceptance (what are waiting list letters called anyways?) how many offers were made versus how many positions there are? If you're on the wait-list, it means that they're still interested in you, so I would shoot them an email if I were you and ask them for a little more details on the situation. It's always a bit awkward, but you can ask how many people are on the wait-list to get a better sense of where you are. I asked this for the school I got wait-listed in, and they told even told me on which tier of the waiting-list I was (although, my self-doubting nature makes me wonder if they were just being polite and padding my ego to keep me on the hook).