Syracuse

Now there's an acceptance on the board. Congrats! Any more information? Was it a personal or form email?

I just got an emailed acceptance (yay!) but with an added "Unfortunately, we have a limited amount of funding we can offer our admitted students, and we are not presently in a position to offer you any funding." Apparently there's a funding waitlist... Fingers crossed!

I also got a message from the DGS with a fellowship offer. I'm thrilled! I'm looking forward to speaking with him tomorrow. I just feel like I don't have a real sense of what the program is like. It seems to emphasize teaching, which I like. On the website, however, it looked like there were only a few graduate classes per semester. Is this accurate? Can anyone out there shed some light?

Thanks!

They do seem to emphasize professional development. The program is tiny. Looks like there are about fifteen students enrolled in the Ph.D. program at any given time. Of those, I'd guess that a third are probably finished with their coursework. If there are three courses offered, say, each semester, I'd imagine that each seminar has three students. I suspect it'll be very intimate. The MFA program is absolutely top-shelf, so we'll be in the company of some extremely talented poets and fictionists.

Cyriac, thanks for the info! In terms of class size and attention that sounds like a dream, but I'm concerned about the diversity of the coursework. What is your field? Are you going to visit in March?

To the poster who is planning to apply--I am currently finishing my MA at Columbia working on 18&19C British novels. I did well on the regular GRE Verbal (not the Quant), but only scored in the 73% on the Subject Test. One of the reasons that I applied to Syracuse was their request for a teaching statement as well as a personal statement. I was impressed that they take teaching seriously. I have four years of teaching experience in a public high school. I'm thinking that they might have really liked that?

Good luck!

To those accepted without funding, there's a strong possibility that I won't take this offer as I have another good one closer to home. It won't be till the end of March though, because I'm going to go see both programs and figure out which one is really a better fit. I wish I could let you all know sooner. Good luck to all!

Cyriac, thanks for the info! In terms of class size and attention that sounds like a dream, but I'm concerned about the diversity of the coursework. What is your field? Are you going to visit in March?

I do seventeenth-century lyric and Milton. I'm in Europe at the moment, but I'll try to visit, yes. Diversity of coursework is a valid concern. I wonder whether they have cross-enrollment arrangements with Rochester or Buffalo or Cornell. I have six places yet to hear from, but I'm pretty gaga about the program and will probably enroll.