Indiana University Bloomington

stansfield

Thinking about it..have you visited before?

I visited there last year and loved it. The downside would be that it's a bit of a drive to the nearest big airport in Indianapolis... about 100 miles to the airport. Still, great town, really good restaurant / food selection, campus is nice and pretty, lots of bars with good beer selections (i.e. microbrews).

It reminded me of Chapel Hill, NC.

Actually, the airport is a little bit less than 60 miles away from Bloomington, although it's true that it might look like more, especially if you take one of those shuttles that take you from IU campus to the airport (they have several stops, so it takes between 1h30m and 2h to get to the airport).

Apart from that, it's a great place to live. I moved here in August and I love all the international restaurants. Plus, with the Jacob School of Music here, there are events almost everyday.

No I haven't but I've been flickring and my friend did his undergrad there. I also love music and this school is just perfect...I've lived in a city on the east coast my whole life and I'm really sick of it, especially these freezing winters and sweltering summers. Bumblebee you know if there's good live music in the downtown area?

this is pic of the math building i found looks sweet no ^^

Rawles Hall

Oh my gooood... I don't even have a word for how beautiful that is. Great picture, stansfield!

I'm also hoping on UI Bloomington... (but well, to be honest, I'm hoping on all my other schools to; and in the end I'll be hoping anyone will want me) and I've already been told that their campus is goregous.

Also UNC-CH is supposed to be extremely beautiful (off-topic, I know...)

Oh my gooood... I don't even have a word for how beautiful that is. Great picture, stansfield!

I'm also hoping on UI Bloomington... (but well, to be honest, I'm hoping on all my other schools to; and in the end I'll be hoping anyone will want me) and I've already been told that their campus is goregous.

Also UNC-CH is supposed to be extremely beautiful (off-topic, I know...)

good luck! if you do plan on visiting, try late march to early april when it's most beautiful, that's what the DGS told me.

Edited by stansfield

No I haven't but I've been flickring and my friend did his undergrad there. I also love music and this school is just perfect...I've lived in a city on the east coast my whole life and I'm really sick of it, especially these freezing winters and sweltering summers. Bumblebee you know if there's good live music in the downtown area?

this is pic of the math building i found looks sweet no ^^

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Beautiful picture!!!

I know that there are bars that bring people to play life. The Bluebird and the Root Cellar usually do it. And a few months ago (I think it was in September) they opened a new Martini bar that also has live music (when I went there was a jazz band).

good luck! if you do plan on visiting, try late march to early april when it's most beautiful, that's what the DGS told me.

I'd have to cross the Atlantic to visit, so this won't be possible unfortunately :-( But thanks for the advice!

Beautiful picture!!!

I know that there are bars that bring people to play life. The Bluebird and the Root Cellar usually do it. And a few months ago (I think it was in September) they opened a new Martini bar that also has live music (when I went there was a jazz band).

sounds wonderful!

I just got accepted to IUB :-)))

I'll have to wait on some other schools, but still (one can never be over-prepared, right? *g*): Where can grad students live for (very) cheap on/near campus? Any suggestions? (Of course I will have a look on the university housing website... I just thought maybe somebody has something important to say on this topic that's not on the website). I'd like to live in a "community" (so no single apartment where I don't even know the names of my neighbors) - so maybe a dorm? Are there dorms for grad students? Oh well, I will have a look online - but please if you have some suggestions, post it here.

I'm still so excited. It's the first news from any of my schools... And I couldn't reach my parents yet to tell them. But I'm soooo happy! :-)

hey bumblebee where do most grad students live and I've heard prices range anywhere from 300 to 700 depending on whether you have roommates or not. any statistics? would you say overall 16k is doable in bloomington? Thanks!

I currently live with slightly under 15k/year, so it's do-able. Ok, no luxuries and no dining out everynight, but you won't starve, you will have enough to have a decent live. The average rent is in around 400/500 if you share and around 650-700 if you live on your own. I know share an apartment and the rent is lower, but I live in the south, far from campus, and the experience was not what I expected at all. In August I'm moving to an apartment complex where there are undergrads but also lots of grad students (I've heard really good things about this complex) and I'll pay around 500/month for a two bedroom/two bathroom apt including all bills (water, electric, cable tv and internet, etc.). But if you look around, you might be able to get something cheaper than that.

@Kathiza: there are some dorms where grad students can live, but from what I've heard, dorms tend to me more expensive. And public transportation here is "free" (you pay a fee with your tuition and then you can ride buses without paying just by showing your student ID). If you want to live in a "community" you can look at the apartment complexes where many grad students concentrate: Fountain Park, Bradford Place, Brandon Court, Summer Point, to name a few.

Two bedroom, two bathroom sounds great. Which complex is this?

I would like to have my own bathroom, although I don't mind sharing the rest of the apartment with one or several people. It's just: I need my own room. And I need my own bathroom. And I want to live on campus. I had a look at the Hillcrest apts - because they are close to the School of Journalism. Any opinions on Hillcrest?

Two bedroom, two bathroom sounds great. Which complex is this?

I would like to have my own bathroom, although I don't mind sharing the rest of the apartment with one or several people. It's just: I need my own room. And I need my own bathroom. And I want to live on campus. I had a look at the Hillcrest apts - because they are close to the School of Journalism. Any opinions on Hillcrest?

I don't know Hillcrest apts (I don't think I know anybody who lives there), but here's a link to a couple of pages where you'll find information about all the dorms on campus. I think they specifically say which dorms admit grad student.

http://www.rps.indiana.edu/map.cfml

http://www.rps.indiana.edu/neighborhoods.cfml

I'm moving to an apartment complex off campus, on 10th street (Fountain Park). http://www.apartmentsbloomington.com/apartments/building_details.asp?property_cd=fountainpark

Hola, Mirabilis :-)

Exactly, it is an hour away. I wouldn't personally do it, though. First, it's two hours of your time that you could spend doing coursework (I don't know about you, but I do need those), secondly, in the winter the weather might not be very nice to you (this past month, for example, classes were cancelled for a few hours due to an ice storm), and third, you'll need to buy a parking pass in order to park on campus, and I've heard those are expensive. But that's just my 2 cents. As we say in Spain, "each person is a world". If, after all your considerations, you decide that's the most convenient/desirable option for you, great! rolleyes.gif

Hola, Mirabilis :-)

Exactly, it is an hour away. I wouldn't personally do it, though. First, it's two hours of your time that you could spend doing coursework (I don't know about you, but I do need those), secondly, in the winter the weather might not be very nice to you (this past month, for example, classes were cancelled for a few hours due to an ice storm), and third, you'll need to buy a parking pass in order to park on campus, and I've heard those are expensive. But that's just my 2 cents. As we say in Spain, "each person is a world". If, after all your considerations, you decide that's the most convenient/desirable option for you, great! rolleyes.gif

The main reason would be saving the 15k+ in room and board. My stepdad lives in Indy, so I was expecting to live with him and pay just a nominal fee for utilities. How´s the traffic in Indiana anyways? I have never been in the Midwest in my life.

Are you from Spain?

Nice to see so many people discussing Bloomington. I will be attending this Fall and can't wait. I just did a campus visit last month and the place looks beautiful (for the dead of winter anyway :)).

If anyone is looking for a list of grad housing the Information Science program was nice enough to provide a list of Graduate realty groups. You can see it here: http://www.slis.indiana.edu/admissions/costs.html (Scroll down to the bottom)

I ended up going with CS Property Management at their "Poolside" location. Got a large studio with indoor parking for $550 /month with all utilities included except electric.

I also looked at some properties through Grant properties (http://www.grantprops.com/), but I did not find their apartments as nice as CS'.

The main reason would be saving the 15k+ in room and board. My stepdad lives in Indy, so I was expecting to live with him and pay just a nominal fee for utilities. How´s the traffic in Indiana anyways? I have never been in the Midwest in my life.

Are you from Spain?

Oh, in that case, just go ahead an pray that the winter treats you well. I believe saving 15 grand is a good reason to want to drive. Traffic in the area is not bad (as far as I know), but people complain a lot about Hoosiers not knowing how to drive. And complains about parallel parking too (if you don't know how to parallel park, you're sc***d). But I don't think it's anything to worry about tongue.gif

And yes, I'm from Spain! cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I currently live with slightly under 15k/year, so it's do-able. Ok, no luxuries and no dining out everynight, but you won't starve, you will have enough to have a decent live. The average rent is in around 400/500 if you share and around 650-700 if you live on your own. I know share an apartment and the rent is lower, but I live in the south, far from campus, and the experience was not what I expected at all. In August I'm moving to an apartment complex where there are undergrads but also lots of grad students (I've heard really good things about this complex) and I'll pay around 500/month for a two bedroom/two bathroom apt including all bills (water, electric, cable tv and internet, etc.). But if you look around, you might be able to get something cheaper than that.

@Kathiza: there are some dorms where grad students can live, but from what I've heard, dorms tend to me more expensive. And public transportation here is "free" (you pay a fee with your tuition and then you can ride buses without paying just by showing your student ID). If you want to live in a "community" you can look at the apartment complexes where many grad students concentrate: Fountain Park, Bradford Place, Brandon Court, Summer Point, to name a few.

sounds good, how south of the campus were you. what do you mean the experience was not what you expected? good or bad?

congrats kathiza

If you haven't seen the Graduate & Professional Student Organization (GPSO) Housing Board (http://www.indiana.edu/~gpso/housing.php), take a look. Last year I had good luck finding a cheap and nice apartment with an independent landlord on there. It's also a good place to look for a grad student roommate if you lease a 2+ bedroom place on your own. There a lot of nice places to live in Bloomington depending on what you're looking for, although I'd suggest avoiding anywhere north of 10th St. It can be undergrad hell in the apartment complexes up by the stadium, and traffic is terrible in that part of town on game days.