Indiana University Bloomington

stansfield

@Stansfield, my experience was not as good as I thought it was going to be. My landlady decided to bring more people and two dogs to the house (when it was specifically written in the contract that pets were not allowed in the house). But it was already the middle of the semester and I was too busy to look for another place (plus, since I don't have a car, moving around town apartment hunting was going to take me forever).

Oh, and I actually didn't ask if I was going to be reimbursed when I came on a campus visit. I just assumed that I wouldn't (IU being a public school), plus I didn't feel comfortable mentioning it.

@Yalzin, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with those apartments, so I cannot offer you any advice. Sorry! unsure.gif

I really don't wanna bring my car you think it would a good idea to get something in the east or south side of campus? i see some listings for meadow park which seems to have a bus to campus every 20 minutes. the south seems much more expensive.

Hello! I am thinking of going to this university, and I'm looking for housing options. I've seen that everybody is talking about off campus housing, but I was wondering if anybody knew something about the university dorms. Are they good? Expensive? What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

I looked into dorms and most classic dorms require a meal plan and have shared bathrooms - and besides, almost all of them are undergrad only. So I looked into university-owned apartments on campus. They look really nice, affordable (if you share one with another person) and I could really imagine living there. Unfortunately, they are all unfurnished... So I don't know what to do about that. I don't want to buy a whole set of furniture because I have to leave the US after completion of my program (3 years) due to my J-1 visa. Hmm, I still have to think about that.

And... I haven't even definitely decided to go to IUB. But it's definitely a great choice.

looking for a roommate, pm me if interested

Good to know! I hope I'll hear from my other schools within this week and I'll be able to make a decision very soon. You may hear from me ;-)

I toured Woodbridge when I was apartment-hunting the first time (back in 2007). They were pretty decent. The guy who showed the place seemed professional, and the apartment I saw was a little on the older side but fairly well-maintained. I ended up going with Fountain Park across the street because the newer part of Fountain Park was quite a bit nicer for about the same price, but I know somebody who lived in Woodbridge for a couple of years and seemed pretty happy there.

It's a good idea to keep the Bloomington Transit and IU bus routes in mind if you don't have a car. I actually do have a car but don't want to deal with the hassle/expense of parking on campus, so I've always either lived on a bus route or close enough to walk to campus. The 6 bus comes to Meadow Park/Woodbridge/Fountain Park/etc. every 20 minutes, so those complexes tend to attract a lot of grad students.

Definitely looking forward to access to Public Transportation (something that is not currently available in my area right now, as it is a very rural area).

I hear Bloomington has an excellent Farmer's Market, which has me VERY excited (having worked at a FM last summer). Can anyone attest to the fantabulousness of the Market? =)

Definitely looking forward to access to Public Transportation (something that is not currently available in my area right now, as it is a very rural area).

I hear Bloomington has an excellent Farmer's Market, which has me VERY excited (having worked at a FM last summer). Can anyone attest to the fantabulousness of the Market? =)

While I was visiting their Public Admin program (which attracts a lot of environmental science people), I heard great things about the farmer's market. Unfortunately I did not get to see it myself sad.gif

I have lived in Bloomington for six of the past seven years, all attending IU here. The campus is gorgeous April thru October, but you better be prepared for the gross winter. You won't be thinking about all the beauty around you while you're playing hopscotch over rain puddles and ice patches during our too-typical Midwest autumn and winter.

Landlords here can be awful, but there are many that are wonderful. Here are a few thoughts I will throw out there:

I lived with Rara Avis for two years... it's a father-son team that works their butts off on their properties year-round. Super affordable & crazy friendly... if you don't stop them, they'll chat with you for more than 30 minutes. I also lived with Campus Walk for two years, and they are pretty good. They have tons of property in great locations, charge reasonable rent (usually multiple utilities included for <$500/mo.), offer grad student discounts, and have an active full-time maintenance staff. [Do not deal with Terra Trace (14th & Dunn); they are affiliated with Campus Walk thru CRE, but they are terrible.]

I lived with Elkins for one year, and they were not good. They never respond to maintenance requests (busted window locks, inoperable internet, doors falling apart) and then charge you for the repairs from your security deposit on move out. Do not live with Sunshine, nor the Norbu family (married to the Dalai Lama, who has a large presence here in Bloomington). They are slumlords.

In general, avoid the northern areas around campus, especially around the stadium (17th St). This is Undergrad Land, and maybe you have heard that we have a reputation for Getting Down (#1 party school in the US ten years ago or so). The epicenter of this lifestyle is the Varsity Villas. They are cheap, but they never stop partying.

Email me if you'd like other things answered about the town! I love this place. Good luck and have fun with your studies here. (Cc'ing this to the cities guide as well.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just accepted the offer for PhD in Microbiology for fall 2011. Im from Mumbai, India and will be looking for housing options. If any of you are looking for a roommate please PM me...

I'll be joining the Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Studies this fall, pursuing an MS in outdoor recreation. Visited Bloomington and fell in love with the town, plus my prof is great and secured full funding with a TAship. Looking forward to this fall!

Edited by polarscribe

I found housing a few weeks ago, but I plan on moving in on June 1 (want to get settled in, get the lay of the land, get out of here, etc.).

Did you check out the GPSO housing board?

• 1 month later...